Player contracts and transfers

David123

1 hour ago, tucker said:

Daily Record reports that rangers want Michael ohalloan off there books permanent not loan deal so might rule saints out,

Which explains why he is not quoted in either squad. The rule that you cannot play for three teams in a season means he would only be able to sign for saints if rangers played him. 

Far better signings that you'd expect to be making at this stage. 

Excited about Wright, who seems exactly what we need. No idea about Williams who I've never seen play, he's a full Welsh Internationalist and Fulham describe him as a "poor man's Patrick Roberts" who can "play on both wings". Scunthorpe had a cash money bid rejected for him in the Summer, and it looks like Aberdeen failed in a bid to loan him at the same time. 

Anyone any idea who the CM is? 

Some positive news at last.  I know nothing about Williams but 7 caps for Wales would suggest he has something in his locker.  Wright looks a very good prospect anytime I've seen him.  Hopefully the CM is someone for the starting XI and not just a squad player.

Just reading a few of the threads active at the moment and would just say I'm not sure I buy into all this stuff about TW being "too loyal" to players. I don't think the problem is that he's blindly picking certain players over and over again out of sheer "loyalty". I think the problem is that he genuinely believes, probably with some justification, that the alternative options just aren't good enough as replacements.

I've always felt, even from the fairly early days of Wright's reign, that his one big weakness is in the transfer market. Signing players always seems to be a huge struggle, and it happens every single transfer window. In all these years, he's still never managed to sign a good, reliable, start-every-week striker (although fingers crossed for McMillan, obviously). I don't know whether it's because his contacts aren't as good as those of Coyle/McInnes/Lomas, or it's simply that his hands are tied financially to the point that it's just becoming bloody impossible to get his targets in... but I suspect it's probably a combination of both. I also think that TW seems very set in his ways when it comes to recruiting certain types of reliable personality - and to an extent it's hard to argue with that because on the whole he's been bloody successful, but I also think there should be room for taking a few more risks if you want to bring in exciting, unpredictable players. From what I've heard, Habran (who has now signed for Royal Antwerp in Belgium's top league) would be one example of a player who seemed to tick a lot of the boxes that remain unticked for us at the moment, but supposedly didn't have the right personality.

At this point I'll be pleased if we can get just one first team-standard attacking player in before the end of the window. Current targets seem promising, but how many times have we seen this before?

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

TW signed Foster, Shaughnessy, Wotherspoon, MOH, Swanson and Scougall. 

I'd say they've all been successful 

I agree with the exception of Scougall.  He hasn't been unsuccessful, and not playing in his position hasn't helped him, but he hasn't been a roaring success.  One goal, not a lot of assists.  As I've said before, he looks a decent player and I hope he goes on to be a Saints great, but he still has plenty to do.  Plenty of people on here slag off MOH and Swanson but the facts and the stats show that they affected games for Saints in a way that Scougall hasn't managed yet.  Would like to see him in a more central role though.

42 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

He has to be played central as you mention. That's been probably my biggest frustration about team selections this season. He was excellent playing centrally at Ibrox and the games just before the break.

Yep, don't think Tommy has got the best out of him yet with playing him wide.  No hiding from that, but the bottom line is he needs to find a way to influence games from anywhere on the pitch.

Just now, SaintJet said:

Cummins was an easy target but if some of these players in blue jersey's on Saturday put a teaspoon of his effort when he played we might not be in the position we are in.

Totally agree wasn’t the most gifted or skilful player but always gave 100% when he played. Saying that most of the time couldn’t hit a barn door from two yards

1 hour ago, jhq said:

Presumably the midfielder is the Dijon guy.

I don't think he's ever played in Ligue 1 - all 4 of his first team appearances coming from before Dijon got promoted and in the cup.

'Played abroad in a premier league' - could it be Andy Halliday? He only got 1 minute v Aberdeen, 6 minutes v Ross County.

He did only appear 3 times in a foreign premier league though so maybe stretching it.

I'm aware of the allegiances of Murray etc but not sure I'd be keen to have a player who so revels in being a nasty gers man in the team.