Player contracts and transfers

David123

I really liked Pates whenever I saw him play, and he comes across as a surprisingly good guy (given his reputation before we signed him). But I think moving him on makes sense. We have too many central midfielders, when you consider Willock coming in, McClean breaking through, and the fact that even our wide players - Alston, Spoony, Craig, Scougall - are all arguably better and happier when played more centrally.

I'm getting the sense from this that Tommy is finally acknowledging we need to clear the way for younger, faster, more athletic players, and I'm really looking forward to seeing that happen. Paton is a good player but he's like too many of the squad in terms of age and pace, and being honest how many of us would have had him in our predicted strongest XI for this time next year? I'm sure he'll have no problems finding a club though, and I hope he's gone with a decent settlement in his pocket.

Given it doesn't look like we made an eleventh hour signing, I don't understand the Paton situation. I can't really see it being down to the wages bill given Cummins leaving would probably cover McMillan and MOH going back to Rangers should cover the two loans you would think.

I can understand that we have a fair few midfielders but probably only Davidson and Paton are one's you would consider as being able to put a tackle in the midfield area and Davidson isn't exactly going to be fit to play every week.

7 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Given it doesn't look like we made an eleventh hour signing, I don't understand the Paton situation. I can't really see it being down to the wages bill given Cummins leaving would probably cover McMillan and MOH going back to Rangers should cover the two loans you would think.

I can understand that we have a fair few midfielders but probably only Davidson and Paton are one's you would consider as being able to put a tackle in the midfield area and Davidson isn't exactly going to be fit to play every week.

I'm wondering if it's a case TW sees Muzz, Millar and Craig or Willock playing ahead of him. He's told Paton that, and Patons been told he'll be a guaranteed stater elsewhere. 

Mutual termination. He gets regular games elsewhere, we get him off the wage bill and it provides a passage for McLean, who outperformed Paton on Monday. 

No idea of any of that's true, bit it makes sense to me. Especially since it was a mutual termination. 

1 hour ago, MrBored said:

Yeah considering Tommy was apparently upset at not getting money from Brown,it looks like our wage bill will actually be lower.

O,Halliday,Cummins,Paton,Thomson & Gilchrist off the wage bill along with a few loanees .Doubt I'll if the 3 in will be costing us too much.

2 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Given his alleged (press reports) link to terrorists, we DON'T need Stokes.

Jody Morris - Drink Driving

Jordan Robertson - Death by Dangerous Driving

Paul Paton - Assault on another player

Derek Riordan - Assault

I hardly think being linked to the IRA touches any of these 

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

Personally, I would have far rather seen how the new boys settled in before letting go an International footballer. I hope he does not sign for a Premiership team and then bites us on the bum. Oh yes, and it does not exactly sound very mutual either when you read his farewell tweet.

It has to be mutual as he has contract. Impressed by his text though.