Player contracts and transfers

David123

28 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

Ryan Edwards used a release clause in his contract. I'd have him in a shot at Saints. Always really impressed me and a very good age. Happily have him brought in instead of trying to sign Williams permanently.

BBC had listed Hearts as being interested. We would have no chance in that case.

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, RandomGuy said:

He scored 21 goals this season. 13 were against part time/amateur/junior sides. With the greatest respect to these clubs, are those goals relevant to us at all? 

Ignore them and ask yourself if eight goals in a Championship season is that good a return for a 26yo striker? 

For reference he played in 28 games against full time teams this season, at Championship level, and got 8 goals. Means he averages a goal every three or so matches. 

Can you tell me what amateur/junior sides play in the Championship?  Clark has been a regular scorer in the lower leagues over his career.  I wouldn't advocate him being a first choice, but as a backup there would certainly be worse options - we've had plenty of them over the years.  Irrelevant now anyway.

I can see yet another summer of you being negative about every player Saints are linked with while failing to come up with better options.

If Saints needed a goal late in a game, looking at a player on the bench who has scored the number of goals that Nicky Clark has wouldn't have been a bad thing. I'm not sure he'd have been capable of really pushing McMillan or Kane but as an option, I think we could have done worse. I have faith in the two players mentioned, so don't feel Saints need to spend big on a striker and Clark could have fitted the bill.

I don't see Ryan Edwards as the type of midfielder we need. I think it's hard to justify bringing Willock back with the players we already have so can't make the case for Edwards. We need someone who is comfortable on the ball like Millar was. There is an argument that Osman of Thistle maybe fills that criteria but you are signing a player whose career appears headed in the wrong direction.

With every name of a player for the troublesome wide left role, I'm always left thinking I'd prefer Swanson or O'Halloran. This is going to be a challenge for the manager.

30 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

If Saints needed a goal late in a game, looking at a player on the bench who has scored the number of goals that Nicky Clark has wouldn't have been a bad thing. I'm not sure he'd have been capable of really pushing McMillan or Kane but as an option, I think we could have done worse. I have faith in the two players mentioned, so don't feel Saints need to spend big on a striker and Clark could have fitted the bill.

I don't see Ryan Edwards as the type of midfielder we need. I think it's hard to justify bringing Willock back with the players we already have so can't make the case for Edwards. We need someone who is comfortable on the ball like Millar was. There is an argument that Osman of Thistle maybe fills that criteria but you are signing a player whose career appears headed in the wrong direction.

With every name of a player for the troublesome wide left role, I'm always left thinking I'd prefer Swanson or O'Halloran. This is going to be a challenge for the manager.

I'd agree with your opinion on the striker options.  Doolan is another who would be able to make an impact from the bench.  Not sure of his situation with Thistle.

2 hours ago, jhq said:

Can you tell me what amateur/junior sides play in the Championship?  Clark has been a regular scorer in the lower leagues over his career.  I wouldn't advocate him being a first choice, but as a backup there would certainly be worse options - we've had plenty of them over the years.  Irrelevant now anyway.

I can see yet another summer of you being negative about every player Saints are linked with while failing to come up with better options.

He scored goals against Buckie Thistle and Queens Park in the cup. The 21 goals were over the full season. 

Greg Tansey been told he's free to leave Aberdeen. Someone who also impressed me for Inverness against us, had a shite time of it at Aberdeen though. He'd be a signing I'd like. 

3 hours ago, jhq said:

Lawless is a winger mate.  Decent option, but as Radford says MOH or Swanson would probably be better options.

I always saw him as a left sided midfielder.

Soccerbase has him as a midfielder & he was signed from Motherwell as a midfielder.

Banned for 6 games for gambling in 2016.

3 hours ago, jhq said:

I'd agree with your opinion on the striker options.  Doolan is another who would be able to make an impact from the bench.  Not sure of his situation with Thistle.

Doolan was in the paper yesterday talking about how he supports Thistle and its great Archibalnis staying. Sounds like he's wanting to stay. 

It's his testimonial year there I think

2 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I always saw him as a left sided midfielder.

Soccerbase has him as a midfielder & he was signed from Motherwell as a midfielder.

Banned for 6 games for gambling in 2016.

Soccer base lists wingers as midfielders. He is a left sided winger. 

TW seems to think Scougall is too small for a central role, Lawless is even smaller. 

Just now, yahoorsir said:

We could a lot worse than Tansey, Lawless and Storey. The latter won't be everyone's choice but he would give us the option of genuine pace up top which we don't currently have. Probably not a starter but a decent option for the bench.

I love this post. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

He scored goals against Buckie Thistle and Queens Park in the cup. The 21 goals were over the full season. 

Greg Tansey been told he's free to leave Aberdeen. Someone who also impressed me for Inverness against us, had a shite time of it at Aberdeen though. He'd be a signing I'd like. 

You wanted Storie last season when he wasn't getting a game for Aberdeen. He went to Partick  where he couldn't get a game.

Now you are wanting Tansey who can't get in Dons team.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

You wanted Storie last season when he wasn't getting a game for Aberdeen. He went to Partick  where he couldn't get a game.

Now you are wanting Tansey who can't get in Dons team.

Most Saints fans would take O'Halloran or Swanson and they can't get games for teams who finished below Aberdeen.

O'Halloran was good at start of last season then went off the boil before gong back to THE THE.

Swanson has jacked us about previously when wanted move "to a bigger club" viz Hearts and Hibs.  Grass is greener but only if you get to play on it.

Time to move on from both and get players who want to be at McD.

1 hour ago, jhq said:

Whether you class him as a winger or left-sided midfielder, he is not a central midfielder in the Millar mould.

I will concede that but he maybe could play the holding midfielder role. I certainly think he could play alongside Miss.

51 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I will concede that but he maybe could play the holding midfielder role. I certainly think he could play alongside Miss.

We have enough players who "could"play there.  We need someone who is a natural there and that is not Lawless.  I would however take him to play in his natural position.

5 hours ago, yahoorsir said:

We could a lot worse than Tansey, Lawless and Storey. The latter won't be everyone's choice but he would give us the option of genuine pace up top which we don't currently have. Probably not a starter but a decent option for the bench.

From my reading of it Storey is on the transfer list - not sure if they would ask for a fee for him or not.

If Lawless is coming he will be the left winger.

I fail to see the problem with signing players who can’t get in the Aberdeen first team (like Tansey for example). They came 2nd, we came 8th of course we’re going to look for cast offs from the bigger teams.

My concern is that Tansey only played 3 games whilst on loan to Ross.

He’d be an either/or with regard to Lawless, we can’t have both.

Doolan is staying. I’m not sure Storey is good enough. I thought going to Partick and starting regularly would be the making of him, but obviously not.

I’ve never thought much of Osman or Edwards really.

2 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

O'Halloran was good at start of last season then went off the boil before gong back to THE THE.

Swanson has jacked us about previously when wanted move "to a bigger club" viz Hearts and Hibs.  Grass is greener but only if you get to play on it.

You'd reject players purely because they've left us before? Swanson joined Hibs as they're his boyhood club, and Robert Thomson has since confirmed that Saints never offered him anything until it was far too late. 

MOH left for the money, but his form at the start of the season allowed us to be absolutely shite the rest of the season and still be comfortable. 

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Lawless is about five foot, loses physical battles to Ricky Foster, and has never played a holding role in his life. Your suggestion is just bizarre. 

2 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Still loves his time at saints and speaks to Tommy regularly, had to go to his boyhood team, if you are a supporter of a team and the chance happens who wouldn't, but would never rule out coming back if not in Lennons plans,  good lad and talks highly of his time at saints

58 minutes ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Still loves his time at saints and speaks to Tommy regularly, had to go to his boyhood team, if you are a supporter of a team and the chance happens who wouldn't, but would never rule out coming back if not in Lennons plans,  good lad and talks highly of his time at saints

Indeed he does and comes to watch us when he's not playing, if it's near Edinburgh obviously. Danny takes a bit of warming to but he's a good lad at heart. Would gladly have him back.

Oh aye and his whole family were very very impressed by the send off he got, really unexpected by them.