Player contracts and transfers

David123

3 hours ago, mainstand said:

As for the millar comment god move on he is away end of. 

He's not advocating bringing him back, he's saying we need a player in the centre of the park and I agree with him.

We've spent a decade with the quality of Morris or Millar in front of the defence but I don't see a player in the squad who is capable of stepping into that role.

Can Wotherspoon play it? Maybe but would anyone argue that he isn't inconsistent, which isn't ideal for such a key area on the pitch. He has a role to play in the team but I'm far from convinced it's the one the manager maybe has earmarked for him.

Agree think saints have been lucky having the quality of Millar and Morris next to muzz for almost a decade, saints will be lucky to find another gem,I hope spoonny does step up like millar did when Jody left, have my doubts but I hope I am provide wrong

9 hours ago, Center Half said:

No Hate, just observation, Liam was struggling two seasons ago to be consistent at this level I do not think that will change this season.

we need to be improving on the playing staff not regressing through sympathy I would think! 

Did he not provide the most assists last season? If he is that bad what does it say about the rest?

3 hours ago, tucker said:

Agree think saints have been lucky having the quality of Millar and Morris next to muzz for almost a decade, saints will be lucky to find another gem,I hope spoonny does step up like millar did when Jody left, have my doubts but I hope I am provide wrong

Is spoony not to much of a creative and attacking midfielder for that position 

9 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Did he not provide the most assists last season? If he is that bad what does it say about the rest?

Mabey he did!, In my opinion if we are satisfied with that level now we will be in with the strugglers, Nothing against Liam at all lets be honest he was not a regular starter 3 years ago when he came back, the players on the field were performing better so he was on the bench/in the stand, he has not miraculously become a better player to now fill a starting role he is now a player who is possibly  the best the manger has to fill that position. Hence my question is he playing that position until a suitable replacement is found/signed.

On 7/15/2018 at 12:56 PM, mainstand said:

Ffs random change the record.

Every game that is not a convincing win sees the same old claptrap getting rolled out. Step back from sharp objects and lie down in a dark room.

It is the first competitive match where they played more football and passing than they did in most games last season and yesterday dominated for 90 percent of the match. .

As for the millar comment god move on he is away end of. 

RandomGuy is correct for me. First game of the season or not, we were playing a team 2 divisions below us and their keeper had one save to make in 90 minutes. Rustiness or not, that's concerning.

We passed the ball about with tempo for 15/20 minutes at the start of the game, then spent the rest of the match either being sluggish or not really in control - a team 2 levels below us were able to expose our obvious weakness in midfield and we had no outball on the left hand side. We are crying out for someone with composure in midfield and a left winger and those problems wont disappear until players are brought in. In the mean time, I'd rather see Wotherspoon play left wing and McClean/McCann in the middle of the park as what we lined up with on Saturday just didn't look like working.

13 minutes ago, Kyle said:

In the mean time, I'd rather see Wotherspoon play left wing and McClean/McCann in the middle of the park as what we lined up with on Saturday just didn't look like working.

This. Spoony and Alston are not controlling, possession keeping central midfielders, McCann will be, but I don't think we can rely on him for a whole season, he'd be better going out on loan with a view to next season. Which brings us back to bringing in a loanee like Willock.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

RandomGuy is correct for me. First game of the season or not, we were playing a team 2 divisions below us and their keeper had one save to make in 90 minutes. Rustiness or not, that's concerning.

We passed the ball about with tempo for 15/20 minutes at the start of the game, then spent the rest of the match either being sluggish or not really in control - a team 2 levels below us were able to expose our obvious weakness in midfield and we had no outball on the left hand side. We are crying out for someone with composure in midfield and a left winger and those problems wont disappear until players are brought in. In the mean time, I'd rather see Wotherspoon play left wing and McClean/McCann in the middle of the park as what we lined up with on Saturday just didn't look like working.

It could be that the heat played a part & they couldnt keep up the the tempo but 20 mins is when E F should have scored so maybe that pushed Saints back a bit.

Considering we spent the last part of last season playing 3 at back I was surprised he didn't revert to that for last 20 mins to see if that would change things.

Maybe needed Callum to advise him.

Perhaps we would have been better if we had saved some cash and not travelled to Austria pre season, which would not have been cheap.

Not so long ago wasn't warm weather training poo pooed?

Does anyone really think another signing will be made before the first league game?

I think the fact that Tommy made a move for McGowan a while back, probably tells you he is aware he needs a replacement for Millar. Neither Alston or Spoony have shown they can play the same role as him with the same effectivness. Spoony shows he may be an option is spells, but he must do more to become a regular starter in the middle of the pitch.

A left sided midfielder and a central midfielder and I'd be happy enough with the squad.

7 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

I think the fact that Tommy made a move for McGowan a while back, probably tells you he is aware he needs a replacement for Millar. Neither Alston or Spoony have shown they can play the same role as him with the same effectivness. Spoony shows he may be an option is spells, but he must do more to become a regular starter in the middle of the pitch.

A left sided midfielder and a central midfielder and I'd be happy enough with the squad.

Agree, as much as a bawbag as McGowan seems to be, he is exactly the style of player we need.  And, as you say, the fact the manager tried to get PM indicates he's aware we are lacking in centre mid.

Others have said it, but Spoony and Alston, who are both decent for us, are not the type of players to play that role, and I'd be disappointed if we settled for either of them in there.

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

Perhaps we would have been better if we had saved some cash and not travelled to Austria pre season, which would not have been cheap.

Not so long ago wasn't warm weather training poo pooed?

Does anyone really think another signing will be made before the first league game?

Yes 2 minimum 

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree, as much as a bawbag as McGowan seems to be, he is exactly the style of player we need.  And, as you say, the fact the manager tried to get PM indicates he's aware we are lacking in centre mid.

Others have said it, but Spoony and Alston, who are both decent for us, are not the type of players to play that role, and I'd be disappointed if we settled for either of them in there.

Would Paul Paton have been a better option? 

Perhaps a little short sighted just telling him to go 6 months before he knew Midge was going? 

The decision to release Paton was the right one, especially with the manager seemingly intent on altering the style of play. Paton was one of the most technically limited midfield players I can remember at Saints. Heart of a lion but the footballing ability of one as well.

The manager is still talking about strengthening two key areas. We know wide left is one and hopefully central midfield is the other. It does look like Willock is high up the priority list though, with I'm not convinced about in terms of a footballing midfielder.

Guest ScottMann
1 hour ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Yes 

It's almost 3 weeks until the first league game. Why are you so certain Tommy will have his 2 new players signed by then?

1 hour ago, ScottMann said:

It's almost 3 weeks until the first league game. Why are you so certain Tommy will have his 2 new players signed by then?

Tbf TWs comments lately suggest, to me, we're already in talks with the two targets he wants. Letting the trialists go and then talking about how "its in the clubs hands" make it sound that way, anyway. 

You'd hope there would be some movement in the next two/three weeks if that's the case. 

Guest ScottMann
44 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

In 3 weeks, probably. By end of window Yes.

I thought you were one of the few that were genuinely ITK and were sitting on some info you couldn't publicly reveal but I take it you're just very confident instead. Cheers.

17 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

I'm pretty confident we'll bring in one or two by the end of the transfer window, but not sure about doing it in time for the first league game. I think we'll end up with a couple of loan signings similar to when we signed Williams and Willock.

What I find unusual about Saints' approach to signing is that we fairly regularly seem to get into these situations where we have players openly targeted, and sometimes even on trial, and yet then suddenly the manager says he can't sign anyone. Does Tommy not know what the budget is? What has changed, or is expected to change, that meant we could sign these players, then couldn't, but the expectation is that we soon will be able to again? If it's the Watt signing, surely Tommy would have been told "if we meet this guy's demands then we might not be able to bring anyone else in" and then it would be Tommy's call on whether or not to proceed with that? Just feels a little like the left arm doesn't know what the right arm's doing at times.