Player contracts and transfers

David123

I really hope this is tommy just being tommy, because the thought of running with what we have (and potentially weakening the CB position by playing players out of position) is not worth thinking about.

You can have all the attacking players you like but if you can't dictate or control possession in the middle of the park you won't get the best out of the new guys.

I think TWs made the signings we needed this Summer, and I'm loathe to slate him/the club for signing who we have. 

You have to question why certain players were given extended deals if he knew how tight the budget was and knew who he wanted. Take the wages of the two Hursts and Alston and you've probably got a respectable amount of money without weakening the squad at all. 

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I think TWs made the signings we needed this Summer, and I'm loathe to slate him/the club for signing who we have. 

You have to question why certain players were given extended deals if he knew how tight the budget was and knew who he wanted. Take the wages of the two Hursts and Alston and you've probably got a respectable amount of money without weakening the squad at all. 

Totally agree, i would say the signings so far have exceeded expectation. Its been the resigning and retention of current squad that has not been as well targeted.

For the risk of being accused of looking dewy eyed in to the past tgat retaining millar and releasing alston the squad would be about balanced. Hopefully McCann can come in and offer something to that role.

That is just bullshit as far as I'm concerned, if so Tommy has majorly ****ed up, priority one was a center midfielder, there is no argument to be had on that. 

Pointless getting wingers and strikers if we can't get the ball effectively to them.

I would get rid of Alston, Craig, wotherspoon and to be honest scougal, who I thought was bought for that position. I honestly fail to see where the latter fits into any effective formation we play.

Edited by Shaggy Jenkins

1 hour ago, Gas Monkey said:

And you wonder why we can’t sell season tickets and home and away crowds have become so low!! Looks like we are heading for another turgid, zero entertainment season....

Exactly, although I have my season ticket I am yet to use it......that wont be changing on Sunday

Totally scunnered with this, my enthusiasm for Saints and football in general is at a 35 year low. 

Pretty sure Tommy said we were not getting anymore signings a while back, just after Watt signed and he had to send the trialists home? then we went on and signed Kennedy and then Mitchell on loan.

Our midfield is all over the shop when you look at the squad, nobody apart from Muzz are central midfielders who we know can play in the Premiership. McCann (18) and McClean (19) I'm all for youth being given a chance but is Tommy? Other than that it's putting Craig and Spoony into central roles they're not used to.

Craig lost his legs for playing out wide a few years ago and he was never the quickest, but it seems we're keeping a hold of him now he's doing his coaching badges in the hope that he stays with us after his playing days are over. 

I am sure tommy will sort something out very soon . On the cash front Wee should move everyone into main stand when the ugly sisters turn up end off ! Saints fans don’t turn up anyway and for everyone that says I am not moving my seat keep watching and don’t moan if you are not prepared to do something to help out 

1 hour ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

That is just bullshit as far as I'm concerned, if so Tommy has majorly ****ed up, priority one was a center midfielder, there is no argument to be had on that. 

Pointless getting wingers and strikers if we can't get the ball effectively to them.

I would get rid of Alston, Craig, wotherspoon and to be honest scougal, who I thought was bought for that position. I honestly fail to see where the latter fits into any effective formation we play.

You'd sell four midfielders to get one? Honestly? 

The only vaguely contentious decision this Summer has been retaining Alston with the intention of playing him central. We needed wingers just as much as a CM, Watt maybe wasn't required, but I won't blame TW for taking that risk either. 

Last night even a hearts fan at work wondered why we never kept midge for another season, always going to support the eleven guys on the park,just hope we play better football this season,more entertaining,I wonder if Tommy is trying to push Liam out the door to bring in another player I would he is on a good wage,

2 hours ago, mad saints fan said:

Craig lost his legs for playing out wide a few years ago and he was never the quickest, but it seems we're keeping a hold of him now he's doing his coaching badges in the hope that he stays with us after his playing days are over. 

Let’s be honest his playing days have been over since he came back fae Hibs.

Tommy has cocked up big time. Last Season he played Spoony, Alston and Craig out wide. He then brings in Wright and Kennedy to play wide, and up to now seem better than the aformention trio. He then tries them in centre midfield which is clearly not going to work, he more or less admitted that in the paper Today by stating that Kerr may be given an extended run there.

The 3 players will surely only be used as back up to Wright and Kennedy and Mclean and Mcann would in my opinion be a better option moving forward.

We definitely need a holding midfielder in the mould of Midge or Jody. Where we get one is another problem.

14 hours ago, Saint GB said:

Tommy Wright in Today’s newspapers  

“We won’t be sigining a midfielder anytime soon”

“We have to get players out first for that to happen but can’t really do that as the squad is thin in number” WHAT? 

He wants to play Jason Kerr there but had to take him off because he was tired as he’s not used to playing there. 

Brutal 

I was sure he said if we got into last 16 of Betfred he would be able to get his midfielder.

Now he is saying he will have to get players out first. Why the **** did he give new contracts to players he will have to let go.

There is something wrong at the club.

5 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I was sure he said if we got into last 16 of Betfred he would be able to get his midfielder.

Now he is saying he will have to get players out first. Why the **** did he give new contracts to players he will have to let go.

Shite crowds Cagey that is what is wrong,  Falkirk are hitting 4K some weeks and were down in the relegation battle for a while last year for example! we are arguably  on the best run in our history and we are scrambling to get 2K home fans. 

12 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I'm sure he just said he'd know where he stood if we finished top of the group, I suppose he's now found out. 

7 minutes ago, sleepless said:

you can't trust a word Tommy says in the press about signings. He's always at it. And he's very good at it...

Maybe. There's a time for it though, and days before the first home game of the season, after at least two seasons of dirge football at home, probably isn't it. All he's done is pump negativity into the support before what's a relatively important match.

Him and Brown seem to think the public domain is the place to try and exert pressure on each other by toying with fans emotions, it's a game that only works when the fans are on your side, TW should remember that. 

4 minutes ago, Center Half said:

Shite crowds Cagey that is what is wrong,  Falkirk are hitting 4K some weeks and were down in the relegation battle for a while last year for example! we are arguably  on the best run in our history and we are scrambling to get 2K home fans. 

Our crowds are our crowds, there's no point discussing it really. I'd be loathe to believe the apparent crowds some clubs claim to have though.