Player contracts and transfers

David123

The effect of the winter break and players running out of contract/able to do PCA's seems to have effected us badly.

Whilst 3 of the matches have been against Celtic we should at least be performing not just turning up.

We need to get those players out of contract either signed up or if moving on then dropped from the team and replaced with players who will be here next year. I would give them until end of week to finalise deals.

Other than top six we have nothing to play for and are clear of relegation positions.....so not to much at stake for making changes.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/820585/niall-keown-up-for-the-challenge-at-st-johnstone-after-coming-in-from-the-cold/

So it seems Keown was frozen out by Partick as he had appearance bonuses in his contract that they couldn't afford to fulfil this season rather than him being gash? 

16 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/820585/niall-keown-up-for-the-challenge-at-st-johnstone-after-coming-in-from-the-cold/

So it seems Keown was frozen out by Partick as he had appearance bonuses in his contract that they couldn't afford to fulfil this season rather than him being gash? 

Nice bit of spin from Keown as much as anything else I think. Speaking to a Thistle fan I know, he suggests he was excellent during his loan spell when beside Liam Lindsay, which lead to Thistle paying a fee to bring him in permanently 18 months ago. After Lindsay left though, he looked lost and was a liability as Thistle ended up going down. He was initially allowed to leave last summer but I'm sure he renegotiated his contract and ended up staying on. He once again looked out of his depth - this time in the championship - and fell out of the team again.

If we can get the player who initially rocked up into Scottish football then we're laughing and Kerr might just be the player to help him re-establish that form again. The one over the last 18 months just isn't good enough though. Fingers crossed we get the former and not the latter.

It's all academic if Kerr and Shaughnessy stay fit. Unless we have some meaningless games towards the end of the season and Joe decides his future lies elsewhere, I doubt we'll see much of Keown this season.

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I hope Saints are not paying what Thistle wouldn't.

I don't rate him & the fact that he was on the bench ahead of Gordon is a concern.

19 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

let's give the lad a chance ffs... players can be shite at certain clubs... we've rescued a few. he seems hungry. he knows he's down the order currently.  would love to see him flourish here & be the next Ando. is he 6"5???

Are you talking about keown?

Nothing against him personally, but him getting selected for the squad v Celtic at the weekend ahead of Gordon must be fairly soul destroying for Liam Gordon.

Edited by PauloPerth

10 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

we are a business. best performing pro gets the Jersey...

In your opinion is that a guy that couldn't get a game with team at the bottom of championship or a guy that has never let us down when called on with very little game time.

36 minutes ago, Cagey said:

In your opinion is that a guy that couldn't get a game with team at the bottom of championship or a guy that has never let us down when called on with very little game time.

Indeed, a player who still has more votes in the man of the match threads than a number of regular starters.

59 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Indeed, a player who still has more votes in the man of the match threads than a number of regular starters.

Gordon is an excellent defender and has proven himself up to a starting place in our 1st team, in my opinion. I can see the need for having Keown as a back-up for Gordon, and/or to allow for a bit of rotation to rest J+J, possibly even to give a bit of right-back cover in a pinch. 

But having him on the bench instead of Gordon was very odd indeed, unless having him play in the reserves game on Monday with a view to him being in the starting team on Saturday was the plan. Which would make sense I guess, sort of.

Did anyone see him play on Monday? Views on form?