Player contracts and transfers

David123

37 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

If we need sell before we buy then it will not just be anyone.

It will have to be a a big earner. In my opinion the only place we have an abundance of players is attacking midfield.

Do we want to lose Kennedy, Swanson, O'Halloran, Wright or Wotherspoon. We would get some money from them. But which one would want to go and which one is wanted by a club that is willing to pay good money. 

Hopefully the MLS team are still interested in Danny.

43 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

May would bring money into the club with upsides to gates/merchandise and general club energy, losing him to dundee would be a kick in the ballsack

I'm never convinced that this is actually the case that you sell alot more tops especially a club of our size to offset what the player actually costs us.

I'm also not convinced that he is anywhere near the player we had 5 years ago, he's not exactly been a prolific striker post leaving us, which I guess is what would be concerning Steve Brown?

It will be down to dosh ..it is a sad reflection when Championship clubs can attract players before Premiership ones! 

I honestly think Saints are missing a trick by not signing him especially at a time when it is so obvious our lack of firepower.. 

Tommy is not daft he’s put it out there he is interested in May but not heard from the chairman!  

I know it will be bandied about low crowds not going over budget blah blah but if ever we need to take a chance it’s now! 

8 minutes ago, Wendy Saints said:

It will be down to dosh ..it is a sad reflection when Championship clubs can attract players before Premiership ones! 

I honestly think Saints are missing a trick by not signing him especially at a time when it is so obvious our lack of firepower.. 

Tommy is not daft he’s put it out there he is interested in May but not heard from the chairman!  

I know it will be bandied about low crowds not going over budget blah blah but if ever we need to take a chance it’s now! 

The modern footballer primarily chases the almighty dollar sadly.

17 minutes ago, Wendy Saints said:

7 minutes ago, Havana Saint said:

The modern footballer primarily chases the almighty dollar sadly.

St Johnstone havent given the player an offer. His only offer is from Dundee.

Steve Brown wont sanction signing him until players are sold.

That's been reported this morning, and is what TW is quoted as saying.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

St Johnstone havent given the player an offer. His only offer is from Dundee.

Steve Brown wont sanction signing him until players are sold.

That's been reported this morning, and is what TW is quoted as saying.

Random where have you seen that?

The courier does not mention anywhere about players being sold. 

TW says:

“Last year we probably worked 28 senior pros, with one or two out on loan. We’re down to 22 this year.

“I knew that was going to happen and I’m comfortable with that. Where you get the problems is when you get an injury list like we have now.

“It’s not an ideal situation going into four games in just under two weeks. But it’s a situation that we’ll cope with and be prepared for.

“We’re still looking to bring players in but to do that we probably need one or two to go out.
“When the injuries get better and we can trim the squad a little, there will be people added. Where we’re light is quite obvious.”

I would read that as more players going out on loan not being sold. 

18 minutes ago, mainstand said:

TW says:

“Last year we probably worked 28 senior pros, with one or two out on loan. We’re down to 22 this year.

“I knew that was going to happen and I’m comfortable with that. Where you get the problems is when you get an injury list like we have now.

“It’s not an ideal situation going into four games in just under two weeks. But it’s a situation that we’ll cope with and be prepared for.

“We’re still looking to bring players in but to do that we probably need one or two to go out.
“When the injuries get better and we can trim the squad a little, there will be people added. Where we’re light is quite obvious.”

What's the difference?

47 minutes ago, mainstand said:

TW says:

Right here? Rather than us selling players, we could be letting players go with pay offs instead, which is objectively worse.

3 hours ago, perthandproud said:

I'm never convinced that this is actually the case that you sell alot more tops especially a club of our size to offset what the player actually costs us.

I'm also not convinced that he is anywhere near the player we had 5 years ago, he's not exactly been a prolific striker post leaving us, which I guess is what would be concerning Steve Brown?

May's a confidence player though and I think he'd get that back here.... always had a sniff for a goal and we've missed that, even if 5/10 are glaring misses, we wouldn't complain as he takes those extra shots. Togs was not my main point, but getting a player back that the youngsters and us all loved would improve gates with decent money. You could even do a fun marketing job with it, return of cup winner etc.... c'est la vie, lets tell ourselves he's not what he once was, and take no risk.

20 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

...You could even do a fun marketing job with it...

A major flaw in your post there, what ever happened to that Gary guy we employed?

Did he just put all the news and videos behind a paywall and go away on holiday? 

Edited by garydavidson

Bit of a pivotal moment for Saints here. Putting aside whether May is fit or not or even whether he'd make us better or not, here is a deal the manager says he wants, fans are crying out for and likely the move the player wants (money aside) and if Saints try and penny pinch here and loose out on the player (particularly to a championship club), then that really sends a massively negative message to Tommy and the fans.

We are trying to build the club and if we don't end up signing May and bring in a couple of loan players and a Rory Fallon like signing, I think it will just deflate everyone inside and out with the club.

I'm 50/50 on the merits of signing May based purely on the pitch, but as a whole, I don't think we can afford not to sign him or at least make genuine attempts to sign him. 

Edited by TheYellowBox

14 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

Bit of a pivotal moment for Saints here. Putting aside whether May is fit or not or even whether he'd make us better or not, here is a deal the manager says he wants, fans are crying out for and likely the move the player wants (money aside) and if Saints try and penny pinch here and loose out on the player (particularly to a championship club), then that really sends a massively negative message to Tommy and the fans.

We are trying to build the club and if we don't end up signing May and bring in a couple of loan players and a Rory Fallon like signing, I think it will just deflate everyone inside and out with the club.

I'm 50/50 on the merits of signing May based purely on the pitch, but as a whole, I don't think we can afford not to sign him or at least make genuine attempts to sign him. 

I absolutely agree

All this talk of Stevie May wants to come back to Saints is garbage.

He will go where he is getting top dollar for him and his agent just as he did when he left us to further his career.

If that is dropping down to the Championship with Scumdee well good luck with that son, hope it works out better than your English adventure.

Tommy saying he wants him and the chairmen talking to Aberdeen does not make a done deal and if it happens it happens but if not lets move on to other targets which the manager must have as May could not have been part of his forward planning for a 15 goal striker whe the comment was made and there was not any indication that May would leave Aberdeen  on loan or permanently.

16 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

Have to agree. Although, that said, Tommy has been through all this before with Saints (in particular after the Cup win, when he was basically prevented from signing anyone). What I find quite surprising is that it felt like there was a bit of a change in strategy last season with Kennedy, Wright, Swanson, MOH and Watt all arriving within quite a short period, and then Goss too. It seemed like Tommy was really being backed - and yet suddenly we're back to being told that not only does the squad need to be cut, but that a special case like May can't be sanctioned. It just feels like it's one extreme or the other, with no middle ground.

For what it's worth I'd agree that last season's squad was too big, and going for quality over quantity seems like a sensible move - but when is the quality going to arrive if the manager's not allowed to sign anyone?

With May, I agree with what the unofficial Twitter account said - there's a risk involved in signing him, but it feels like a risk worth taking, with the potential positives outweighing the potential negatives.

As for Dundee: they've now brought in McPake, Jimmy Nicholl, Dave Mackay and Gordon Strachan, and they're outbidding Premier League clubs for a player like May... on their crowds, and in their division. Some clubs just never, ever learn.

I'd like to believe that we are working away in the background for a deal for May and the fact we are not hearing anything, doesn't mean much.

I seem to recall when Wright first asked Steve Brown about May he said Brown was already on the case and had contacted Aberdeen...so it isn't that he doesn't want to know.

If indeed it is down to finances I can see Brown's point. A player who has had a serious injury, probably looking for a fair amount and a longish contract. If the knee goes again? Also added to that he hasn't played that well for Aberdeen (although out of position most of the time as far as I can see).

I wonder if the two defenders who were on trial were asking for a fair bit and the club preferred to keep those funds for any May deal.

Like others have said, Steve Brown is in a very difficult position if the May deal doesn't come off for whatever reason.

There seems to be an apathy around the place at the moment with the lack of signings etc and that can't be helping season ticket sales etc.

5 minutes ago, MrBored said:

I wonder if the two defenders who were on trial were asking for a fair bit and the club preferred to keep those funds for any May deal.

You would think that ballpark figures are discussed before someone comes on trial? It costs us money to have them there for the week as well as costing the player I would imagine.

21 minutes ago, akuram said:

Steve Brown should come out publicly and tell Aberdeen we will top any other offers.

Would that not show the fans he means business and if we then don't get him he comes out of this with our respect.

Stupid or what ?

No, but every effort should be made to get a player the manager has identified. For what it is worth, I think Brown will go as far as he can (in his eyes), but if we are outbid on a fee or wages, then so be it. He can fairly turn round to tommy and the fans and say he did his best.