Player contracts and transfers

David123

How can Tommy go from stating his number one priority this window is a striker, to now saying we need to shift players in order to bring in new ones. So what, we spent the budget on Duffy and Parish? The PR around this is pathetic and it makes Tommy and Brown look stupid.

Every single window this tired old line comes out, the clubs failure to present itself in the media appropriately is so poor and it's beginning to look like it's not a lack of resource, but just a lack of care and experience. The club needs freshening up and not just on the pitch.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Have to agree. Although, that said, Tommy has been through all this before with Saints (in particular after the Cup win, when he was basically prevented from signing anyone). What I find quite surprising is that it felt like there was a bit of a change in strategy last season with Kennedy, Wright, Swanson, MOH and Watt all arriving within quite a short period, and then Goss too. It seemed like Tommy was really being backed - and yet suddenly we're back to being told that not only does the squad need to be cut, but that a special case like May can't be sanctioned. It just feels like it's one extreme or the other, with no middle ground.

For what it's worth I'd agree that last season's squad was too big, and going for quality over quantity seems like a sensible move - but when is the quality going to arrive if the manager's not allowed to sign anyone?

With May, I agree with what the unofficial Twitter account said - there's a risk involved in signing him, but it feels like a risk worth taking, with the potential positives outweighing the potential negatives.

As for Dundee: they've now brought in McPake, Jimmy Nicholl, Dave Mackay and Gordon Strachan, and they're outbidding Premier League clubs for a player like May... on their crowds, and in their division. Some clubs just never, ever learn.

Maybe all these big signings last season combined with lack of cup runs & bottom 6 emptied the kitty.

As for Dundee ,McPake was already there & cup tie will not be on a big wage but yeah another administration on the cards.

33 minutes ago, akuram said:

Steve Brown should come out publicly and tell Aberdeen we will top any other offers.

Would that not show the fans he means business and if we then don't get him he comes out of this with our respect.

Stupid or what ?

We don't have the finances to compete with well attended championship clubs.

Akuram's wish is Steve's command. Kind of.

"We’re lucky to have a squad of players with a lot of talent in all areas of the pitch. It’s been well documented that in the past few weeks we’ve been hit with some horrendous luck with injuries but the good news is that these injuries have not been too serious and most of the players should be fit and available if not tonight, then for the remaining Betfred Cup Group Stage fixtures.

"As always at this time of year we are working hard to get other players in and the Manager has been identifying potential strikers to add to the squad to replace Tony Watt.

"Stevie May is one of those strikers identified but while we are in touch with Stevie’s representatives it’s important to point out that he is still a registered Aberdeen player.

"To assemble the squad we currently have, the club has already exceeded the set budget for the 2019/20 season. However, just as we did in January with Michael O’Halloran, we are prepared to go that extra mile to make a serious attempt in bringing Stevie back to St Johnstone.

According to broon spent the 19/20 budget already, maybe should of telt the manager as he was looking for a striker and left back, it's hard work supporting this team, build your hopes up and few days later the story changes, other teams manage to keep their support a bit more updated than this shambles, I know cant expect every bit of info but a wee bit would be good and fair play broon has clarified it today.

Edited by crieffsaintandy

3 hours ago, Gort said:

Not fussed about May, would much rather get Charlie Adam in. If May gives a hoot about Saints he will go there, if he wants the money it will probably be Dens.

Charlie adam will be on double may. He is presently on trial at Blackburn and being looked at by Blackpool. He will have plenty of offers that will pay a helluva lot more than saints.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

Charlie adam will be on double may. He is presently on trial at Blackburn and being looked at by Blackpool. He will have plenty of offers that will pay a helluva lot more than saints.

He won't get many more chances to play for the Dees though, he must have made millions already. He could buy Fintry, where he was seen last week.

I don't understand the claim about the budget either, unless we we're either significantly over it last season (possible) or it's been reduced significantly (less likely, although not impossible). 

What I'd say there is there are clearly players earning far too much if little over 20 pros and a handful of kids is swallowing up around £1 million.

Getting shot of McMillan would help but that will still leave us just three strikers. 

If we don't get Stevie May, I really worry about what we'll end up with. It'll be another Morgan or Johnstone but this time we don't already have the players at the club to get by. 

16 hours ago, Gort said:

Not fussed about May, would much rather get Charlie Adam in. If May gives a hoot about Saints he will go there, if he wants the money it will probably be Dens.

We Couldn't afford to pay for Adam's football boots! Charlie Adam's Jersey hangs in the Clep Bar on Clepington Road; if he comes back up here he is on record as saying he wants to play for Dundee before he retires.

5 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

We Couldn't afford to pay for Adam's football boots! Charlie Adam's Jersey hangs in the Clep Bar on Clepington Road; if he comes back up here he is on record as saying he wants to play for Dundee before he retires.

Which is why Gort (a Dundee fan) posted it...

12 hours ago, Gort said:

He won't get many more chances to play for the Dees though, he must have made millions already. He could buy Fintry, where he was seen last week.

Aye Gort Fintry will be going cheap now! All the late 1970s  work we done on it Lowdens/Charlie Gray will be needing done again ;)

7 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Did hear a story over a month ago that he would be going to Ross County. At that point I had no idea he was even looking for a club,.

12 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

I don't understand the claim about the budget either, unless we were either significantly over it last season (possible) or it's been reduced significantly (less likely, although not impossible). 

I think in January bringing in Swanson on £1,500 a week came out of this seasons budget

However 5 first team players our and 2 backups in doesn't bode well

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:42 AM, Radford 72 said:

I don't understand the claim about the budget either, unless we we're either significantly over it last season (possible) or it's been reduced significantly (less likely, although not impossible). 

What I'd say there is there are clearly players earning far too much if little over 20 pros and a handful of kids is swallowing up around £1 million.

Getting shot of McMillan would help but that will still leave us just three strikers. 

If we don't get Stevie May, I really worry about what we'll end up with. It'll be another Morgan or Johnstone but this time we don't already have the players at the club to get by. 

Maybe increased offers for new contracts to Zander and Kerr along with some other contracts have taken care of a lot of the money saved form these wages. They also brought in Michael as an extra from last season so that needs to be added in to new against the budget for this season.

Also if Swanson is on £1500 a week by the time you add on Employers NI Superann etc then you are talking about over £100k a season for Swanson alone. So well in excess of £1m say closer to £2m for 20 senior players.

10 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Maybe increased offers for new contracts to Zander and Kerr along with some other contracts have taken care of a lot of the money saved form these wages. They also brought in Michael as an extra from last season so that needs to be added in to new against the budget for this season.

Also if Swanson is on £1500 a week by the time you add on Employers NI Superann etc then you are talking about over £100k a season for Swanson alone. So well in excess of £1m say closer to £2m for 20 senior players.

But you need to also add in the contracts we offered to people that they rejected - if they had signed would he claim we are over budget? Isn't that financial mismanagement?