Player contracts and transfers

David123

Guest ScottMann

I'd rather we went for Hemmings if we're only going to go for one. He's got the the current consistent scoring record which is what we need. We aren't in a position to take chances although nothing's guaranteed with any transfer. 

Hemmings was on the bench for Notts on Saturday as the were beaten Eastleigh 1v0 Notts. He came on in the second half and got 26 minutes.

They are at home tomorrow night against Stockport.  Be interesting to see if Hemmings is in the team or on the bench.

32 minutes ago, Center Half said:

So the moral of these' facts is no **** can score for Aberdeen but can score elsewhere!

interesting.

Wonder if that logic would apply to a player we've had previously, who actually managed to score a boat load of goals in the Scottish top flight before.

Megginson is a name I've seen mentioned a few times but it's a complete bizarre shout. He's failed in the premiership before, has been released by Raith Rovers and Dumbarton in the championship and has only ever scored regularly in the highland league. Michael Moore-esque.

21 hours ago, andrew said:

That’s exactly why I’m almost ambivalent about May. We have no idea what will really happen. (Much like Brexit or Scottish independence, everyone has an opinion but nobody knows for sure.) Might be a great signing, might not. Only one way to find out. If he signs, I’ll support him. If he doesn’t then we’d better find someone else.

...but no matter who we sign, that will be the case. We're not going to attract someone who has consistently scored 15-20 goals a season, so we need to do what we've always done and take calculated gambles.

I hear the concerns about May's last few seasons but I just don't see where a better option is going to come from. This is a guy who we know can do it in the right circumstances, who Tommy has worked with before, who wants to sign for Saints, and whose struggles over the past few seasons have come about through being either injured or played out of position. He's also someone who has the potential to excite the fans again, which I think is a pretty big plus for the club right now.

On the subject of also signing Hemmings - I tend to feel that if there's a budget for two good first team players to come in, then one of them should be a central midfielder rather than signing two strikers. But I can't see it happening anyway. I reckon what we might end up doing is getting a left-back plus possibly a young midfielder in on loan from somewhere down south when we hit the deadline.

4 hours ago, Linky said:

I’d be surprised if it’s both - we have always played with one out-and-out striker. I think a centre midfielder is more likely.

Thinking back over the years some of our most exciting sides have been made up with two first choice strikers.

Why can’t we make Hemmings and May happen?

McMillan will be away this window. Hendry on loan to the Championship is a win-win-win(we want to free up wages-he wants/needs regular games-most championship or league one teams would snap up someone of Hendry’s ability if they were only paying half of his wages.

Chris Kane either as back up, out on loan or let him find a new club.

May and Hemmings with the option to bring Hendry back in January and O’Halloran & Kennedy as back up.

Make it happen Brown!!

29 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

I think he was meaning that Aberdeen are the problem rather than the strikers that were being compared.  That is how I read it anyway.

Aye I was meaning that! I am sure there is a few others  over the years, who have been at Aberdeen and then come good in the lower leagues and score goals, 

49 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Thinking back over the years some of our most exciting sides have been made up with two first choice strikers.

Why can’t we make Hemmings and May happen?

McMillan will be away this window. Hendry on loan to the Championship is a win-win-win(we want to free up wages-he wants/needs regular games-most championship or league one teams would snap up someone of Hendry’s ability if they were only paying half of his wages.

Chris Kane either as back up, out on loan or let him find a new club.

May and Hemmings with the option to bring Hendry back in January and O’Halloran & Kennedy as back up.

Make it happen Brown!!

I endorse this plan. I'd keep Kane though as I think he has something to offer as a squad player. Maybe not as a striker though. 

25 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I endorse this plan. I'd keep Kane though as I think he has something to offer as a squad player. Maybe not as a striker though. 

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think Kane might be useful in an attacking duo sitting just off the main striker. In some ways, he could be like macca was to may, holding up the ball and providing knock ons etc. He's not a natural goal scorer, but he is a useful forward, if that makes sense..... He definitely isn't a lone striker.

For what it is worth, I think Kane, Hendry and McMillan are all too similar, same with Watt last season. 

48 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Not sure that would be an option. Kane isn’t the answer. I think it’s provably Kane and May or Kane and Hemmings. To get both I would imagine we need to just accept that McMillan was a failure and that Kane isn’t SPL quality.