Player contracts and transfers

David123

5 hours ago, saintgscot said:

Not just us with agent problems. Dyballa transfer to Man Utd off due to excessive wage and agent demands.

I’ve heard about some very interesting demands from the top stars.

One in particular used to have the club pay for all of his family and friends to fly across once a month, stay all expenses paid in a hotel and then flown home again.

Which reminds me, a certain Senegalese former Rangers player had it written into his contract that he wanted to be house in the penthouse suite of a Glasgow hotel with an unlimited food and drink tab.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

It seems the club has messed up hugely in terms of assembling this years squad.  Long before the end of last season it was quite clear what positions we needed to fill. We are going into the 2nd game of the league without the most important of those filled. Still approaching each game with a trial and error attitude that we've been playing since Christmas resulting in players not knowing their role/jobs. Its really no wonder we're struggling. Cant believe we are still chasing/ gambling on Stevie May. Time to move on. I understand the club has limited resources which brings me on to my next point. If the goal each year is to stay in the league it shows a complete lack of ambition and what kind of existence is that. Is it about time the club looks for investors to push the club forward. Otherwise the crowds are going to get smaller and the gulf in the level of football, finance, facilities, will just get larger. Think back to when we moved to McDiarmid and the positive impact it had on the club.

7 hours ago, Rob said:

It seems the club has messed up hugely in terms of assembling this years squad.  Long before the end of last season it was quite clear what positions we needed to fill. We are going into the 2nd game of the league without the most important of those filled. Still approaching each game with a trial and error attitude that we've been playing since Christmas resulting in players not knowing their role/jobs. Its really no wonder we're struggling. Cant believe we are still chasing/ gambling on Stevie May. Time to move on. I understand the club has limited resources which brings me on to my next point. If the goal each year is to stay in the league it shows a complete lack of ambition and what kind of existence is that. Is it about time the club looks for investors to push the club forward. Otherwise the crowds are going to get smaller and the gulf in the level of football, finance, facilities, will just get larger. Think back to when we moved to McDiarmid and the positive impact it had on the club.

There hasn't been a single season where we have only just stayed in the league though.  The last two we have been out of the top six but look at the years before those, could we have finished higher?

The publicly stated goal is far different from the managers ambition.

In total agreement about the transfer window this season though. Tommy has said for a long time which positions he needed to fill but that hasn't happened. Not sure who the fault lies at there. 

You could probably say the clubs been punching above its weight for years and Ive no issues with the league positions weve been getting. Just fear we will get left behind if there is no investment in the club. Ive no doubts Tommy is the right manager for the club but seems like the ideas are running out a little and working with the bare minimum of a squad is not doing us any favours. 

9 hours ago, Rob said:

It is almost as if the current owners/regime 'fear' outside investment, as it would potentially weaken their grip on things. As a club we need to open up and invite investment from any source, only way we are going to progress.

9 hours ago, Rob said:

And yet that exact strategy has seen us comfortably remain in the top division for year upon year, generally finishing either in the top 6 or just outside it. How much more successful than that do you think a club of Saints' size can realistically be?

I do agree that this transfer window has been an absolute mess, but the reason we're still chasing May is that he's still available and it looks like we're probably going to get him. Why would we move on at this stage?

My point is that how sustainable will the club be if they dont seek investment to grow it. We'll get left behind. Enough time has been spent on trying to get May back, its a gamble as it is. Time to cut our losses and get someone else in, surely the club was looking at more than just Stevie. 

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

My point is that how sustainable will the club be if they dont seek investment to grow it. We'll get left behind. Enough time has been spent on trying to get May back, its a gamble as it is. Time to cut our losses and get someone else in, surely the club was looking at more than just Stevie. 

You're speaking as if the Stevie May deal is a lost cause. Have you been keeping track of things lately?

15 minutes ago, Rob said:

If we did that we would no longer be sustainable?  We aren't run by tight bastards for any old reason we are run to try and balance the books as we don't generate very much income even when we have won the Scottish cup and have numerous European runs.  I can't imagine a change in owners will see any upturn in the number of folks coming through the gates.  Numerous schemes have been attempted to attract more of a crowd - even free tickets doesn't seem to get more bums on seats. 

27 minutes ago, stanley saint said:

May being cup tied for Europe matches isn't an issue this season.  

Yes I know but the point I was trying to make is if he is on the flight to Croatia, it may be difficult to sign him for Saturday. If he stays here and is not on the flight there may be light at the end of the tunnel 

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Yes I know but the point I was trying to make is if he is on the flight to Croatia, it may be difficult to sign him for Saturday. If he stays here and is not on the flight there may be light at the end of the tunnel 

i know, i was attempting humour at our lack of European football.

3 hours ago, garydavidson said:

If we did that we would no longer be sustainable?  We aren't run by tight bastards for any old reason we are run to try and balance the books as we don't generate very much income even when we have won the Scottish cup and have numerous European runs.  I can't imagine a change in owners will see any upturn in the number of folks coming through the gates.  Numerous schemes have been attempted to attract more of a crowd - even free tickets doesn't seem to get more bums on seats. 

Im just fearful the club will just dwindle away. I get the whole balancing the books thing and everyone says what a well run club it is in that respect but are you saying that no matter how good the football is we'll never attract more of a crowd. 

3 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

You're speaking as if the Stevie May deal is a lost cause. Have you been keeping track of things lately?

Could be totally wrong, maybe we will sign him this week and maybe he'll score 15-20 goals this season but it seems like a gamble. Id rather the club got someone in now thats been on better form rather than go another couple of weeks and possibly still not sign Stevie. Tommy said last month we've still got until the end of August to find a striker. Meanwhile we'd be 4 games into the league and are out of the cup.