Player contracts and transfers

David123

5 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

What was you choice from those given?

None are realistic/worth what theyd want.

1 minute ago, Johnny B said:

Injury prone I could only find 1 in 2012 which kept him out for the season. As for goals, he went on loan to Ipswich in January and scored 3 in 11 games. If we use your figures another way that translates to at least 10 in a season.

Hes ruptured the same cruciate twice.

10 minutes ago, Linky said:

Unless Hooper wants to return to Scotland, I can't see why he'd come here. Any club (bar Bury & Bolton) in the top 4 leagues in England would pay higher wages than us. I would suggest he's still a big name in England (unlike Lafferty, for example) so there would be interest from Championship and League 1 clubs.

The age-old argument I think still holds, particularly for players that are already fairly comfortable. 

Why come to us from English 3rd tier? You will be on TV every week so the exposure is much greater, standard of living is higher in Scotland than most places in that division, you are guaranteed to play against far bigger crowds at least 10 games a season and some frankly massive crowds at least twice and we've got facilities that are at least as good if not better than most of those clubs. 

However if I'm a greedy agent I might think that cash in the bank is what matters more. 

Just now, Valentino Bolognese said:

The age-old argument I think still holds, particularly for players that are already fairly comfortable. 

Why come to us from English 3rd tier? You will be on TV every week so the exposure is much greater, standard of living is higher in Scotland than most places in that division, you are guaranteed to play against far bigger crowds at least 10 games a season and some frankly massive crowds at least twice and we've got facilities that are at least as good if not better than most of those clubs. 

However if I'm a greedy agent I might think that cash in the bank is what matters more. 

Oh and a realistic chance at European football, which you are guaranteed not to get otherwise. 

For balance, you could argue that a cup run in England could provide excellent and career-defining exposure. 

Players mentioned in the last few posts are currently  "without a club". So where does that leave them in terms of negotiation when it comes to being approached by a potential new club, Saints for example? Surely getting on board somewhere, earning a wage, possibility of resurrecting your career would be the important thing. The football season has started, so if they haven't got a club by now I'd say they'll be getting more and more concerned about their immediate future.

Just trying to stimulate conversation and see what others think of those that Linky said were available. I suppose the only other option is a loan. Might be the direction we are taking as rumours are that we tried to get Hemmings on loan and Notts County did not want a transfer fee.

Silly question is their a loan list published.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Of course not. All I'm saying is they wont join, or will want far too much money for their pedigree, so its absolutely pointless talking about them.

You might be right, but surely talking about them is exactly what we should be doing on a thread which is to talk about transfers? Also, an injury prone player is exactly the sort we've looked at in the past!

I think Christo is right. It's about what the focus might be for any player - money, family, playing against the OF, potential for Europe, etc. All these factors will come to play. A player might want to move north of the border, but his partner won't, etc. etc. We don't know how much these players are asking for, but the ones suggested are currently without a club, coming from divisions that are realistic for us to be looking at, are unlikely to be getting vastly better offers for one reason or another.

7 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Anyone thinking we have potential for Europe in the next 5 years is absolutely mad.

First, that depends on the ownership. If Brown sells to an ambitious investor it is much more likely. 

Secondly, I guarantee that we have a better shot at Europe than any club in the English 2nd division, which was the comparison. 

4 minutes ago, Dutch Saint said:

I wonder if this has been announced to pacify the dissenting voices. A little Friday sweetner.

4 minutes ago, Dutch Saint said:

I wonder if this has been announced to pacify the dissenting voices. A little Friday sweetner.

Maybe a prelude to incoming for Saturday's game.