Player contracts and transfers

David123

All the ifs, buts and maybes regarding various striking options we are or are reported to be interested in and what their goal to game ratio is, is missing the point.

We are looking to replace last years striker who scored 3 league goals.

Forget what TW has said about a 12-15 goal striker just get the bloody defence sorted and stop leaking goals then a 15 goal striker is not required.

Agree with other posters that a central midfielder who can break up play and pass a ball to the "flair" players is what we need.

8 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

All the ifs, buts and maybes regarding various striking options we are or are reported to be interested in and what their goal to game ratio is, is missing the point.

Forget what TW has said about a 12-15 goal striker just get the bloody defence sorted and stop leaking goals then a 15 goal striker is not required.

Agree with other posters that a central midfielder who can break up play and pass a ball to the "flair" players is what we need.

Another season of boring attempts at 1-0 wins would be dreadful. 

4 minutes ago, weesainty said:

May not in Aberdeen squad tonight again 

We blew the chance to sign him we tried to haggle him down, as if his career was a used car. 

Just now, Templar Saint said:

Would take this over the recent performances this season

Some would, but you'd push away fans from outside Perth who decide two hours travel, plus travel costs, just isn't worth it for whats on show. 

The game at the weekend was the most exciting home game in ages, and it was only exciting because we were absolutely shite in the first half. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Some would, but you'd push away fans from outside Perth who decide two hours travel, plus travel costs, just isn't worth it for whats on show. 

The game at the weekend was the most exciting home game in ages, and it was only exciting because we were absolutely shite in the first half. 

Disagree with your travel comment as I travel from outwith Perth for every home game irrespective of what has been on display the previous weeks.

Your comment re the game is spot on.  Highlight of pre second half was Tommy sitting in the dugout like a "no mates" guy.  Guess he made his point though.

33 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

100%. Central midfielder who can control the ball without it bouncing 5 yards away,is comfortable on the ball & can make killer pass. Find him & we won't need another striker.

11 minutes ago, Cagey said:

100%. Central midfielder who can control the ball without it bouncing 5 yards away,is comfortable on the ball & can make killer pass. Find him & we won't need another striker.

Can’t even get Tristan Nydam back out injured for six months. 

This transfer window is a complete and utter shambles 

We need someone who can finish the clear cut chances every time. How many times last season did we miss chances where it looked easier to score. Doesnt have to be a great all round attacker, just someone with that instinct to cause the defenders worry and to hit the target.

26 minutes ago, Rob said:

We need someone who can finish the clear cut chances every time. How many times last season did we miss chances where it looked easier to score. Doesnt have to be a great all round attacker, just someone with that instinct to cause the defenders worry and to hit the target.

Agree we need a better striker than Kane but we need a midfielder who can set up chances, can’t think of many chances we missed on Saturday. I may be wrong but we only had a couple of chances on Saturday and scored 2 of them.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

I'm one of the two hours travel types and although often frustrated, it's just what I do on a Saturday afternoon, work permitting.

My opinion is if we can't get May or Cummings, just go with what we have. If we could just cut out this "lone striker" crap and play two up front, then we might just form a decent partnership from Hendry/Kane/McMillan.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

10 assists in 51 top flight games

Are you saying Stevie May has only played 51 top flight games. Or are you being selective to make his stats look good?

He as played 67 top flight games so far for Aberdeen. with 8 assists.

He played 12 for Preston 1 assist 

He played 44 for Sheffield Wed 1 assist

His standout season for us 41 games 0 assists (so not very good with assists for us)

I make that 164 top flight games and 10 assists

Stevie may 1:4 goal ratio and 1:16.5 assist ratio

My Calculations he averages 9 Goals and 2 assists in a 36 game season

My Question is where did you get your stats and are you being selective to suit your argument?

My stats from https://footystats.org/players/scotland/stevie-may 

Edited by Johnny B

19 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Are you saying Stevie May has only played 51 top flight games. Or are you being selective to make his stats look good?

He as played 67 top flight games so far for Aberdeen. with 8 assists.

He played 12 for Preston 1 assist 

He played 44 for Sheffield Wed 1 assist

His standout season for us 41 games 0 assists (so not very good with assists for us)

I make that 164 top flight games and 10 assists

Stevie may 1:4 goal ratio and 1:16.5 assist ratio

My Calculations he averages 9 Goals and 2 assists in a 36 game season

My Question is where did you get your stats and are you being selective to suit your argument?

My stats from https://footystats.org/players/scotland/stevie-may 

transfermarkt.

They have him at 29 goals, 18 assists, 123 games.

I'll believe that over your site who claims May set up zero goals with us, considering he set up 3 goals in 1 game once...

40 minutes ago, cristo said:

I'm one of the two hours travel types and although often frustrated, it's just what I do on a Saturday afternoon, work permitting.

My opinion is if we can't get May or Cummings, just go with what we have. If we could just cut out this "lone striker" crap and play two up front, then we might just form a decent partnership from Hendry/Kane/McMillan.

We can get May. By all accounts he was willing to sign a 3 year contract on a wage we'd offered him, he'd be available on a free transfer.

For whatever reason the club are now refusing to offer him a contract they'd already offered him, and are preferring to try and sign a shite kid on loan.

Clueless what they're thinking.

1 minute ago, slf said:

Your a bullshitter .that post is random bullshit.

No way are you privy to the dealings of the club and mr May.

pure unadulterated  speculative nonsense.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-mays-st-johnstone-move-18858587

Scott Burns article.

"The Perth side pulled out of a three year deal for the frontman last month because of last minute changes to the deal.

Scottish Cup winner May then went back and told St Johnstone that he would accept the initial deal without any of the adjustments.

Saints chairman Steve Brown then made a counter offer but on vastly reduced terms to what he first offered.

May has now turned the deal down"

Fully agree with Random here- our transfer dealings have been totally and utterly woeful. Sure it's been good to retain certain players, but it's painfully obvious either the budget has been extremely mismanaged or been cut from last season.

The club's PR is dreadful and it seems to be doing all it can to kill off some of the limited "loyals" we had as opposed to attracting more. I was in conversation with a customer of mine that had been a Saints season ticket holder for years and gave it up about twelve years ago.... His statement "trust me, once you stop going, it's very easy not to return to the park and find other hobbies/things to do with your money" It's the main reason I keep my season ticket- I don't want to get out of the habbit.

Whether Steve Brown knows it or not the next couple weeks is MASSIVE for this club and it's future- make a couple of solid signings, bring in a proper social media guy and look for outside help (fans that would be willing to give their expertise for free) and build a feel good factor before we lose another set of fans. We need fans to make that clear to him at the forum.

Rant over.... Transfers... Oli Shaw... No thanks, but when it's all said and done I don't really have the energy to care this season.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

transfermarkt.

They have him at 29 goals, 18 assists, 123 games.

I'll believe that over your site who claims May set up zero goals with us, considering he set up 3 goals in 1 game once...

I will concede that the figures from my site were wrong Your figures do not support your statement "10 assists in 51 top flight games" Your site

https://www.transfermarkt.lt/stevie-may/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/111432/saison/2016/verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb/SC1/pos/0/trainer_id/0

It states for top flight games:

St Johnstone 81 games 32 goals 10 assists

Aberdeen      75 games    8 goals 13 assists

Sheffield      42 games      7 goals 3 assists 

Preston        12 games     1 goal 1 assist

48 goals 27 assists 210 games or am looking at the wrong site

Neither your or my figures back up your statement "10 assists in 51 top flight games" Where did you get these figures from?

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-mays-st-johnstone-move-18858587

Scott Burns article.

"The Perth side pulled out of a three year deal for the frontman last month because of last minute changes to the deal.

Scottish Cup winner May then went back and told St Johnstone that he would accept the initial deal without any of the adjustments.

Saints chairman Steve Brown then made a counter offer but on vastly reduced terms to what he first offered.

May has now turned the deal down"

You believe the daily record .i don’t 

19 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I will concede that the figures from my site were wrong Your figures do not support your statement "10 assists in 51 top flight games" Your site

https://www.transfermarkt.lt/stevie-may/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/111432/saison/2016/verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb/SC1/pos/0/trainer_id/0

It states for top flight games:

St Johnstone 81 games 32 goals 10 assists

Aberdeen      75 games    8 goals 13 assists

Sheffield      42 games      7 goals 3 assists 

Preston        12 games     1 goal 1 assist

48 goals 27 assists 210 games or am looking at the wrong site

Neither your or my figures back up your statement "10 assists in 51 top flight games" Where did you get these figures from?

Sheffield and Preston aren't top flight teams, never mind Scottish teams, so can you please stop bringing them up?

I misread his Aberdeen stats as for some reason have pre and post split games in separate categories.

Either way, If we use the figures you've used above, hes involved in a goal at Aberdeen every 3.5 games, despite everyone claiming hes "shite" there. Thats means, in terms of projected figures, he'd be involved in 11 goals over a 38 game season. No player in our squad managed double figures in that regard last season.

For us and Aberdeen hes involved in a goal every 2.5 games.

Name me a striker we can sign for free who has that pedigree?

Edited by RandomGuy

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

We can get May. By all accounts he was willing to sign a 3 year contract on a wage we'd offered him, he'd be available on a free transfer.

For whatever reason the club are now refusing to offer him a contract they'd already offered him, and are preferring to try and sign a shite kid on loan.

Clueless what they're thinking.

Totaly agree. A pure kick in the balls to May and the fans tbh. Like May or not he would have given us something to smile about.. Even if its just his haircut.