Player contracts and transfers

David123

19 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I'm assuming these things based on the fact we ended up with a back up right back, and shite loanee, as our only options at CB behind Kerr and Gordon. No planning brings you to that situation.

Equally, the manager could have made extensive plans but seen those plans fall through for any number of reasons. Your assumptions take big leaps of logic and aren't necessarily accurate. 

15 hours ago, Johnny B said:

This time of year there is only one reply

"Oh no we didn't"

You are dreaming or not wanting to accept reality if you think "we might have had 5 targets in each position"

Well... we seem to be able to find school boys from Shetland and other kids from all over, so it stands to reason that if we’re able to do that for kids, I’m sure we have some sort of transfer structure.

Obviously it’s effectiveness is definitely up for debate, but you can’t say who we targeted for sure, neither can I. It’s all conjecture. 

I know no more about the transfer dealings at Saints than I do with regards to the inner working of your job, Tesco or any other company department that I don’t work for. 

One thing we do know is that the club like to keep their cards close to their chest. 

4 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

What is clear is that Saints have trouble getting deals over the line. Missing out on Polworth and Gallagher and the saga of signing Stevie May highlight that. 

That is recruitment though, not player identification, over which there appears a lot of assumption going on. 

We seemed to mess up on the Kane Hemmings situation as well.

21 hours ago, Johnny B said:

This time of year there is only one reply

"Oh no we didn't"

You are dreaming or not wanting to accept reality if you think "we might have had 5 targets in each position"

Why? Five targets for each position we wanted to recruit for sounds about right to me. Gallagher, Vihmann and Duffy would already be three targets for the centre of defence. Chuck in trying to keep Shaughnessy and it's four. I've heard at least one other rumour of a centre-half we were supposedly keen on.

Then for up front Stevie May, Kane Hemmings and Jason Cummings is already three and Tommy said there were other targets on the list for that position too.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:17 PM, THE LARK SAINT said:

RandomGuy. You state a lot of facts in posts above, I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong but need to ask 

How you know all this? 

He doesn't.  He believes absolutely anything posted on Pie and Bovril.  

1 hour ago, jhq said:

He doesn't.  He believes absolutely anything posted on Pie and Bovril.  

On 12/9/2019 at 6:39 PM, RandomGuy said:

Most are what TW himself has admitted. 18 months ago he admitted we have no scouts, something I've had PMd to me too.

TW actually broke the news of Gallagher joining Motherwell, in the first days of March. Duffy admitted in an interview TW told him he'd be fighting with Foster for the right back spot when he agreed to join.

Vihmann admitted TW seen him in March against Northern Ireland, and that he only became available when Staebek changed manager in June, one month he before joined us.

Shaughnessy had been rejecting contracts since November, confirmed by TW in an interview. Watt claimed on Twitter he rejected a contract in January and was then forced out the first team picture.

It was widely reported Blair Alston wasnt offered anything until May. Over a month after Polworth, rumoured to be a target by Robert Thomson, was confirmed as joining Motherwell. 

Learn to read.

What does Tommy/Steve do regarding centre half. Kerr & Gordon are a good partnership at the moment. We have back up in Duffy & Vihmann but it seems the manager & fans have no confidence in them.

Do we bring in an experienced centre half & if we do will he be happy to sit on the bench or do we drop Gordon again.

25 minutes ago, Cagey said:

What does Tommy/Steve do regarding centre half. Kerr & Gordon are a good partnership at the moment. We have back up in Duffy & Vihmann but it seems the manager & fans have no confidence in them.

Do we bring in an experienced centre half & if we do will he be happy to sit on the bench or do we drop Gordon again.

You sign a first team quality centre half and go from there, just now we only have two, which isnt enough.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:37 PM, jhq said:

He believes absolutely anything posted on Pie and Bovril.  

Not sure that's fair. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

... it was seemingly claimed Declan Gallagher "turned down a better offer elsewhere" to join Motherwell.

Assume that would be us.

Oh... 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

At Motherwells AGM last night, it was seemingly claimed Declan Gallagher "turned down a better offer elsewhere" to join Motherwell.

Assume that would be us.

I recall at the time when we signed MOH, he did the opposite, he turned down a better offer form Motherwell to sign for us

So, what to do in the January transfer window after 2 clean sheets?

The defence now looks solid. We needed a centre back, but I wouldn't want to mess with the partnership that is forming at the moment. I think the key aim might be actually to do with moving players on: Vihmann, Swanson, Callachan (I would include Kane in that too). I would hope that we would perhaps be lining up options to replace Kennedy if he signs a pre-contract. Although I wouldn't be unhappy with the prospect of Wotherspoon and Tanser being able to play left-wing. I would also hope that we're asking about signing Holt permanently. He's been good, if unspectacular.

I'm wondering whether a striker is actually more pressing than a defender, or whether that would dent May's confidence even further. With two new managers at Hearts & Hibs, there may be some players who would be moved out the door.

If we are to sign a defender, I think Whittaker would be a good shout - can play across the back. If a striker, I'd like us to take MacLean back, as I think he can get May firing again.

12 minutes ago, Linky said:

So, what to do in the January transfer window after 2 clean sheets?

The defence now looks solid. We needed a centre back, but I wouldn't want to mess with the partnership that is forming at the moment. I think the key aim might be actually to do with moving players on: Vihmann, Swanson, Callachan (I would include Kane in that too). I would hope that we would perhaps be lining up options to replace Kennedy if he signs a pre-contract. Although I wouldn't be unhappy with the prospect of Wotherspoon and Tanser being able to play left-wing. I would also hope that we're asking about signing Holt permanently. He's been good, if unspectacular.

I'm wondering whether a striker is actually more pressing than a defender, or whether that would dent May's confidence even further. With two new managers at Hearts & Hibs, there may be some players who would be moved out the door.

If we are to sign a defender, I think Whittaker would be a good shout - can play across the back. If a striker, I'd like us to take MacLean back, as I think he can get May firing again.

Macca is finished. He has played 2 games against us & has done the nothing. Don't think there is anyone that could get May back to anywhere near what he was.

Agree,Hibs,Hearts & probably Rangers will be having a big clear out in January but even if there was no fee we could probably not afford their wage if they were decent standard players.