Player contracts and transfers

David123

I don't think two clean sheets is enough to forget about the problems we have had at the back. The same partnership saw us get a fair few floggings from the teams higher up the league. I would think Tommy is still looking to get experience in there although I am unsure what that means for Gordon as he won't be dropping his captain.

1 hour ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

A Right Back and a Left Back at least one of those who can also play in the middle

I would hope we can keep Booth & I think he could cover centre half if required.

Think we have to release Vihmann if they will take him back. Sure he would want to go. Must be murder being away from home & not getting a game.

3 hours ago, Linky said:

So, what to do in the January transfer window after 2 clean sheets?

The defence now looks solid. We needed a centre back, but I wouldn't want to mess with the partnership that is forming at the moment. I think the key aim might be actually to do with moving players on: Vihmann, Swanson, Callachan (I would include Kane in that too). I would hope that we would perhaps be lining up options to replace Kennedy if he signs a pre-contract. Although I wouldn't be unhappy with the prospect of Wotherspoon and Tanser being able to play left-wing. I would also hope that we're asking about signing Holt permanently. He's been good, if unspectacular.

I'm wondering whether a striker is actually more pressing than a defender, or whether that would dent May's confidence even further. With two new managers at Hearts & Hibs, there may be some players who would be moved out the door.

If we are to sign a defender, I think Whittaker would be a good shout - can play across the back. If a striker, I'd like us to take MacLean back, as I think he can get May firing again.

If MacLean and Whittaker are the players we look at, may as well relegate us now out of nothing more than sheer stupidity. What awful suggestions and frankly laughable that you think that pair constitute good shouts. Mac a was finished in his final season with us never mind now and Whittaker is nothing short of woeful now. 

Next. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Against who?

My bad, I should have checked before posting from false memories as I thought Gordon played more than he actually has at the start of the season, that miserable run wasn't as bad score wise as it was for points. The Rangers pumping makes the 9 goals conceded in the 7 games played worse than it seems.

Still, Tommy has mentioned he wants experience in there.

Edited by garydavidson

2 hours ago, Widge said:

If MacLean and Whittaker are the players we look at, may as well relegate us now out of nothing more than sheer stupidity. What awful suggestions and frankly laughable that you think that pair constitute good shouts. Mac a was finished in his final season with us never mind now and Whittaker is nothing short of woeful now. 

Next. 

I disagree, but tell me who you'd like to sign instead.

2 hours ago, Linky said:

We have 2 left backs - one that is good going forward, the other who seems very solid defensively. Why would we want another?

Ralston has really improved too. I think any defender we sign does need to be flexible though and be able to play multiple positions.

Macca up top, Tanser on the left wing... What’s next? Chris Millar in midfield? 

A few more decent results and we will be getting nothing in January. Has to be another defender in my opinion. Not knocking the performances recently but a couple of clean sheets and a win against a poor Hearts doesnt immediately = a solid defence. Apart from McCann we havent had any player consistently playing to the best of their abilities. Top priority is to stay in the league this year as it looks like it is going to be hard work.

2 hours ago, Linky said:

I disagree, but tell me who you'd like to sign instead.

I’ve got no idea, mainly because there’s literally nobody in Scotland available who’s worth signing. 

Signing 2 guys with a combined age of over 70 who are widely hated by the fans of their current clubs and are well known to be unable to run anymore is frankly a ridiculous suggestion. We need decent players not over the hill dross who are simply a name now. 

1 minute ago, dunkeldneil said:

There will be plenty of players in Scotland that haven't been spotted yet that are worth signing we might as well just give up then with your negativity

Tbf hes not wrong. MacLean is a man I love, but as I player I'd be far from convinced he would help, we'd be praying him and May rekindle a partnership that's been apart for 6 years, otherwise we'd have signed a 37yo striker with 3 goals in 2 seasons.

Whittaker is a joke figure at Hibs, and seems to get played in defensive midfield rather than right back these days as hes too slow to play on a wing. Hes started four games in the last 12 months. Would it he a shock if he was earning enough to make him one of our highest earners?

I dont think someone saying they dont think those signings are good enough should be slated as negative for that opinion.

While we need some experience at the back, I'd like to see us look around other teams to see if there is some if the next gen of saints players we can pick up.

You just need to look at the £50k we spent on the 2 best players of the last decade to see when we can get for relatively little outlay.

Halket at Hearts might be available if the new manager doesnt fancy him.

9 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

While we need some experience at the back, I'd like to see us look around other teams to see if there is some if the next gen of saints players we can pick up.

You just need to look at the £50k we spent on the 2 best players of the last decade to see when we can get for relatively little outlay.

Halket at Hearts might be available if the new manager doesnt fancy him.

His old defensive partner at Livingston, Ricki Lamie, is out of contract in the Summer.

26yo left sided CB, who can play LB, and has 100 games in the Championship, and nearing 50 in the top flight.

Surely someone like that is a no brainer to approach?

Edited by RandomGuy

18 hours ago, Widge said:

What awful suggestions and frankly laughable that you think that pair constitute good shouts.

Unnecessarily dismissive and @Linky showed great restraint in his reply BUT have to say, I do totally disagree with the original post, especially about Kane and Ralston.

We should be looking to improve on Kane but not simply by replacing a would-be third or fourth choice striker with another player, who my bet wouldn't offer the same value. His performances this year in tough away games where he's tasked with leading the line show what he can bring to the squad. 

I think Ralston is a liability as well. He should have been red carded in the first 10 minutes on Saturday and it's not the first time he's needlessly tried to smash into an opponent, although it was the worst instance of it. I also think his positioning is suspect and his decision making at both ends of the pitch is poor. Maybe it's a lack of experience.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

His old defensive partner at Livingston, Ricki Lamie, is out of contract in the Summer.

26yo left sided CB, who can play LB, and has 100 games in the Championship, and nearing 50 in the top flight.

Surely someone like that is a no brainer to approach?

Good shout. Definitely someone I'd like to see Saints approach.

Centre back and a striker who can put the ball in the net would be lovely.Suspect we'll get the former but not the latter.

I love Macca but I don't think he's the answer. I'll be very worried if we bring in Whittaker - we need better than a guy who seems to have become a joke figure at the club where he made his name.

Edit: I'd personally be looking for another right back so that we can pack Ralston back off to Celtic. He's been a very poor signing.

20 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Judging from Fisher,Duffy and Ralston the Celtic youth coaches are abysmal.

Errrr I think they’ve had quite a few successes. They’re in the Celtic squad. Obviously they’ve had some less successful. They’re in the Saints squad. Seems to me the Celtic coaches know exactly what they’re doing.

3 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Unnecessarily dismissive and @Linky showed great restraint in his reply BUT have to say, I do totally disagree with the original post, especially about Kane and Ralston.

We should be looking to improve on Kane but not simply by replacing a would-be third or fourth choice striker with another player, who my bet wouldn't offer the same value. His performances this year in tough away games where he's tasked with leading the line show what he can bring to the squad. 

I think Ralston is a liability as well. He should have been red carded in the first 10 minutes on Saturday and it's not the first time he's needlessly tried to smash into an opponent, although it was the worst instance of it. I also think his positioning is suspect and his decision making at both ends of the pitch is poor. Maybe it's a lack of experience.

I think Ralston's performances have been up and down. I wondered on Saturday whether he'd been told to go in harder on players, as Tommy spoke about being too nice, and he took that a little too far. I think there's enough of a player in there to make it worth making enquiries.

My suggestions were bearing in mind the fact that players don't really want to sign for a club that might be facing relegation, and we have a limited budget if we can't move players on. We might be able to offer more money than Livi, but not sure someone would want to move on from them with the current situation (being off the bottom of the table helps significantly though). Whittaker for me offers someone who can play across the back 4, & in midfield as necessary, plus offers huge experience in the dressing room. MacLean plays in a way which suits May's game. I know people don't agree - that's not a problem, it's what forums are for!

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Errrr I think they’ve had quite a few successes. They’re in the Celtic squad. Obviously they’ve had some less successful. They’re in the Saints squad. Seems to me the Celtic coaches know exactly what they’re doing.

How many of their youth players make it without needing a loan spell? Fisher was hopeless when he joined us.