Player contracts and transfers

David123

The Swanson situation feels like a bit of an odd one. I partly wonder if something has gone on behind the scenes or in his personal life, and he's been given time off (although I know he was shown in training in one of the videos the club posted on social media last week). On the other hand, if we just want rid of him, I can't imagine we'd be able to get a transfer fee for him, so in the case of him being available on a free I wouldn't have thought he'd be all that difficult to get rid of. Presumably most of the top-end Championship clubs would happily take a chance on him (or at least offer to take him on loan?). He may even fancy heading abroad, given the MLS stuff that was in the papers not so long ago.

Incidentally, I noticed Ando apparently has an injury that's going to keep him out for 'five to six weeks', so I'd guess that will kill off any dwindling thoughts that he might make a return.

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers-expect-just-one-player-back-from-eight-who-missed-east-fife-win-1-5069418

17 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

The Swanson situation feels like a bit of an odd one. I partly wonder if something has gone on behind the scenes or in his personal life, and he's been given time off (although I know he was shown in training in one of the videos the club posted on social media last week). On the other hand, if we just want rid of him, I can't imagine we'd be able to get a transfer fee for him, so in the case of him being available on a free I wouldn't have thought he'd be all that difficult to get rid of. Presumably most of the top-end Championship clubs would happily take a chance on him (or at least offer to take him on loan?). He may even fancy heading abroad, given the MLS stuff that was in the papers not so long ago.

Incidentally, I noticed Ando apparently has an injury that's going to keep him out for 'five to six weeks', so I'd guess that will kill off any dwindling thoughts that he might make a return.

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers-expect-just-one-player-back-from-eight-who-missed-east-fife-win-1-5069418

Anderson couldnt return anyway, Raith paid to loan him so it cant be cancelled by us.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

BBC Sport suggest that the most important thing we need to do in the January transfer window is play Hendry from the start. In some ways I would agree.

We've all been saying who we want to sign, but what do we actually think will happen?

I think we'll move on Callachan, but I think we'll struggle for anyone to take Swanson. Vihmann may go back, although it depends what the rules of the loan are.

I think we'll sign Jack Hendry permanently (I don't think we're allowed more than one loan from a single club) and a striker on loan (perhaps Oli Shaw from Hibs or Scott Wright from Aberdeen). Hearts & Rangers will be looking to offload players too, although I'm not sure that Tommy would go for any of them.

I would hope that we're starting to look toward pre-contracts for the positions we need to fill next season, whether that be Holt & Ralston or others.

I like forthrightness but one or two things;

Scott Wright is out for the rest of the season with an injury. I've thought that Jack Hendry might be an option too but there's no way we'd pay a fee for him and it seems there's league one clubs in England who want to loan him. Plus he's only 24 so probably not the experienced player that we need.

Oli Shaw seems to be well out of the picture at Hibs right now. Might be worth enquiring to see if he's available for transfer and not just a loan? Still not keen on the idea of developing other club's young players to be honest. Holt is a bit different because he's out of contract in the summer and we could theoretically pick him up then (although I don't think we'll be able to afford his wages).

59 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I like forthrightness but one or two things;

Scott Wright is out for the rest of the season with an injury. I've thought that Jack Hendry might be an option too but there's no way we'd pay a fee for him and it seems there's league one clubs in England who want to loan him. Plus he's only 24 so probably not the experienced player that we need.

Oli Shaw seems to be well out of the picture at Hibs right now. Might be worth enquiring to see if he's available for transfer and not just a loan? Still not keen on the idea of developing other club's young players to be honest. Holt is a bit different because he's out of contract in the summer and we could theoretically pick him up then (although I don't think we'll be able to afford his wages).

Celtic will let Hendry go on a free I'd imagine. Didn't know Scott Wright was injured. I don't get the feeling we'll get a striker on a contract, as Tommy will be hoping that May will come good, so loan is the way we're likely to go I think.

I agree that something has happened in regards to Swanson. I think he's started one game this season, and since then hasn't even been on the bench (might be wrong though). That one start he had, I think he had a really good game, and was the only player to bring in May and play to his strengths - strange that we haven't really seen him since. I just wonder if the reason he's been frozen out is that he's refused a transfer elsewhere and wants to sit out his contract.

Is Jack Hendry better than Kerr or Gordon? From what I remember hes pretty raw and needs games to develop, which is the opposite of what we need. Celtic wont sell him for nothing, theyll loan him until his contract expires in the hope he picks up form somewhere and earns a fee.

Matty Kennedy being linked to Coventry aswell.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Is Jack Hendry better than Kerr or Gordon? From what I remember hes pretty raw and needs games to develop, which is the opposite of what we need. Celtic wont sell him for nothing, theyll loan him until his contract expires in the hope he picks up form somewhere and earns a fee.

Matty Kennedy being linked to Coventry aswell.

No, I don't think he probably is any better. Just seems to me, with the Lennon connection, a likely option. Apparently Celtic have been trying to offload him for ages.

55 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Berra anyone ?.

I'd take him in a heartbeat - ( no pun intended). Yes he's lost a step no doubt but he reads the game brilliantly and would suit our young central backs in progressing. He doesn't suit Hearts kamikaze game plan.

Sadly the dough required for this would be cost prohibitive.

He'd be good experience for the back line, but I think we need someone who can play at right-back too. I don't think wages would be a problem, he'd be willing to take a big cut as he's in the last few years of his career. He'll be desperate to play somewhere and it seems the club have been pretty harsh on him.

Folk are seriously suggesting Christophe Berra and advocating him as a good signing? He’s finished, saints game plan both times we’ve played them involved isolating and exposing him as the weak link. Anyone that’s watched Hearts this season can see he’s past it, decent last season maybe, but far from reliable this season. 

Big no thanks to that one and the impossibly high wage that it would come with. Not a chance Wright is enquiring about him.