Player contracts and transfers

David123

57 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Euan O'Reilly also recalled from Airdrie.

Would expect both to go out on loan somewhere else.

Do not think Ross can play RB.....so do not see how that effects anything as doubt Brechin or Airdrie were contributing anything towards the wages.

Is O'Reilly not the player that is injured? One of loaned players got injured first week there. Maybe another one?? 

"St Johnstone have made two signings today but it looks like it could be their final business of the day.

Matt Butcher and Isaiah Jones joined on loan from Bournemouth and Middlesbrough.

They might still push something through if someone becomes available in the final couple of hours of the window but it looks unlikely that Tommy Wright will be adding to his squad again."

Speaking to the Club's official website shortly after agreeing the deal, Matt said he's excited about the opportunity to play first-team football in Scotland.

"It's great to be here and I think this is a brilliant opportunity for me," he said.

"Everything happened quite late but I've managed to get up here before the weekend and now I'm just excited to get going.

"I'm really looking forward to the challenge. I've spoken to a couple of the lads from down south who have played up here and they said it'll be a great experience for me and that they really enjoyed it. Hopefully I can come here and make the most of it.

"I watched the game against Celtic on Wednesday night and I've seen a few other matches this season but I'm raring to go and want to be involved as soon as possible."

When asked about what the fans can expect to see from him, Matt added: "I will hopefully add lots of energy to the midfield and I like getting up and down the pitch.

"I'm always looking to get on the ball and to make things happen. There's good competition for places here and that's healthy.

"The Manager said to when I first came up that this is a great club and that it's a fantastic opportunity for me to play against some really good teams in the league.

"I'm looking forward to the challenge of trying to get up the league and push for a top six place."

Speaking about his latest signing, the Manager said: "It's great to have Matt here and I'm looking forward to seeing him in a St. Johnstone shirt.

"At the start of the window we knew what we were looking for and a central midfielder probably wasn't what we were in the market for.

"The injury to Murray changed that because we have a lot of games coming up in a short period and Matt's a good fit.

"He's six-foot-two, can play in the deeper role or box-to-box, he's left footed and he's good physically. He comes to us fresh and ready to get his career kickstarted.

"I'm extremely happy to have him here and sure he'll do really well for the Club."

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

They aren't signing a striker today.

Next signing is Isaiah Jones, a 20yo winger from Middlesbrough.

Suspect theres a slim chance they try and Watt but with Anderson being forced back to the club thats probably a portion of the wage budget back being spent on him.

WINGERS ARE STRIKERS unless you a fecking millennial.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Most teams like a 1 in, 1 out, situation.

Vihmann out, McCart in.

Callachan out, Butcher in.

Kennedy out, ...

I dare to suggest we'll get a replacement for Kennedy, of some form, signed before the deadline. Or at least theyll have tried to sign someone like that.

Looks like you got your replacement for Kennedy but we still have 3 strikers that struggle to score.

Tommy may have been looking for a striker but two young guys brought in in the last hours of the window doesn't look like planned signings.

4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Looks like you got your replacement for Kennedy but we still have 3 strikers that struggle to score.

Tommy may have been looking for a striker but two young guys brought in in the last hours of the window doesn't look like planned signings.

Tommy Wright said last week all his top targets had been ignored and had signed elsewhere, so he was having to source new targets.

What were folk expecting to happen today?

25 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Oh well, not earth shattering.  Bit of an unknown quantity in Butcher & Jones. As we all know, strikers especially are complicated signings- just hope we are planning for the summer window. Has Rooney signed a PCA? 

All the right journalists saying the Rooney deal is all but finalised.

Butcher seems to me to be a decent signing. Not too young, contract up at the end of season, could be signed permanently if good enough. Will battle with Craig for a spot in centre midfield when Muzz/Holt/McCann not available.

Jones, I’m not so sure about. At 20 years old it’s unlikely it will ever be made permanent, as they’ll give him more time to prove himself. How dies he fit in? A replacement for Kennedy? Well, I thought we were playing with wing-backs now, so back up for Tanser and Booth? News of his exploits for the mighty Tooting FC hardly fills me with hope. 

I just worry that we’ve got to the last day and we’re in a panic, trying to pick up players wherever we can, no matter if they really fit into the system.

3 hours ago, HALLS ANGEL said:

Tony Watt at Mcdiarmid Park Now apparently.

St mirren working on a striker deal must be a free agent I'd imagine it's watt they were heavily linked this week, happy with most of the signing id liked Rooney in from caley but we'll have him in the summer

2 minutes ago, tucker said:

St mirren working on a striker deal must be a free agent I'd imagine it's watt they were heavily linked this week, happy with most of the signing id liked Rooney in from caley but we'll have him in the summer

Watt could sign for them at any time, so it won't be him, as they're making a point of getting it done before the deadline.

Just what are we going to do with all those saved wages? These 2 loan players will be on minimal wages, compared to those that have left.

Tommy raged about the window and he was right. These loan players may be amazing, we just don't know yet, but I imagine they were being offered to every club in the country. When it gets to deadline day, clubs look at the players they want to shift and offer them around. If we didn't pick them up, they'd have probably gone somewhere else.

We lost out on the signings Tommy wanted, so yesterday was hardly surprising. It's just another awful sign of the mismanagement at the club. Jones might be even better than Kennedy, who knows. But at the end of the season he's back at 'Boro. Therefore we don't see any progress or forward planning.

To my mind, players simply come and go with little thought to the system we might play, formation and so on. If we are going to play 3 at the back regularly, it is quite obvious we needed another centre back.

We bring players in....Tommy doesn't like them.....they drain the wage budget.....he sends them out on loan.....they still drain the budget as the loan club won't be paying 100% of wages......we can't afford quality players to come in due to this.......we bring players that weren't Tommy's first choice.......and the whole thing starts again

Edited by Linky