Player contracts and transfers

David123

13 minutes ago, Linky said:

Opens BBC Sport App, sees Tony Watt in Saints shirt and the headline ‘Tony Watt joins...’, heart sinks. Reads the end of the sentence ‘...Motherwell until the end of the season’. Cheers.

Motherwell fans excited about this.

They may get a good 3 months out of him before he gets disinterest.

30 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I really don't understand why anyone would want us to sign Kenny Miller. He's 40 and just been released by the worst club in the championship.

If this was 2010 then maybe.

I am really hoping that Cagey was just having a wee laugh but forgot the emoji! 

1 hour ago, tucker said:

Just surprised he wasn't even on the bench on Wednesday

Was on bench last week along with Northcott. I assume it was to make up numbers as it is the only time we have seen him since St Mirren away.

Looked quite happy during warm ups &in training.

May be more to it than meets the eye as I would have thought it would we have suited Danny, Saints & loan club for him to go on loan.

Some short memories. Watt was on fire at the start of last season, but after that penalty miss the confidence eroded.

Confidence is a huge thing for a striker. May was exceptional against Hearts - amazing what a goal or two can do.

If Watt starts with a goal in his first few games he could be a great signing by Motherwell- the talent is there.

10 minutes ago, Havana Saint said:

Some short memories. Watt was on fire at the start of last season, but after that penalty miss the confidence eroded.

Confidence is a huge thing for a striker. May was exceptional against Hearts - amazing what a goal or two can do.

If Watt starts with a goal in his first few games he could be a great signing by Motherwell- the talent is there.

He seems to start well everywhere but everything seems to fall apart after 4-5 months. 

His ability isn’t in doubt. His consistency and commitment definitely is. 

St Johnstone's Drey Wright, who is out of contract this summer, has been urged by Tommy Wright to sign a new deal as the Perth boss strives to prevent the exit of another winger following Matty Kennedy's move to Aberdeen. (Sun)

Reads as if Tommy has offered a new contract but the agent is telling him to hold off as he is trying for better elsewhere. In our favour Drey has been below average since his return. 

Are we going to offer him a 2 year contract in the hope that he returns to his best. Sounds familiar May, Swanson, O'Halloran. I would not be in too big a hurry to offer him an improved contract.

41 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

St Johnstone's Drey Wright, who is out of contract this summer, has been urged by Tommy Wright to sign a new deal as the Perth boss strives to prevent the exit of another winger following Matty Kennedy's move to Aberdeen. (Sun)

Reads as if Tommy has offered a new contract but the agent is telling him to hold off as he is trying for better elsewhere. In our favour Drey has been below average since his return. 

Are we going to offer him a 2 year contract in the hope that he returns to his best. Sounds familiar May, Swanson, O'Halloran. I would not be in too big a hurry to offer him an improved contract.

Before Dre went down with his injury he was our top player and to be honest he came back a lot quicker than I anticipated. He was well looked after during his time out by the club. 

He has shown flashes of his previous form but is still short of where he was. I would love to have him signed up for another couple of years and you can only hope that if we can confirm our participation in the top league he might be encouraged to sign up if for nothing else the good care he was afforded when he was out.

53 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

This is from the courier but it seems to place the blame more at the club than player, unlike the way the sun has spun it:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1134541/celtic-were-the-cup-draw-nobody-wanted-admits-st-johnstone-boss-but-they-can-cause-a-shock/

Drey Wright was one of Saints’ best players against Ayr United and making sure the winger doesn’t follow Matty Kennedy out of Perth is an off-field priority.

“I see Drey in training every day and I know he is back to his best,” said Wright. “He just has to have this level of performance consistently now.

“He is someone – there are others – who I’ve informed the club that I want signed.

“Ideally I would have liked it done earlier but we had other pressing issues in the window.

“I don’t see as a club where we could possibly lose Drey and Matty Kennedy in the one season. Hopefully it will get sorted out.

“I would imagine the club have made contact and started the ball rolling.”

Wright added: “I don’t use injuries as an excuse but losing Drey last year was a massive blow to us. I think it affected us.

“We would have won more games and got those extra three or four points which would have got us top six.

“When you come back from a long-term injury, it does take time. But I know how good he is and I want to keep him.”

Edited by garydavidson