Player contracts and transfers

David123

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

With Saints utilising Furlough. Surely we can still extend contacts, we need a LB and Booth is has fit in well. 

I can't see the government paying 80% wages much longer than 3 months. They have to try to get as many people back to work as possible. Don't see sportsmen being in that mix as large crowds will be banned until we get a vaccine.

19 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I can't see the government paying 80% wages much longer than 3 months. They have to try to get as many people back to work as possible. Don't see sportsmen being in that mix as large crowds will be banned until we get a vaccine.

Yes. I agree. But they’ll have to continue supporting those industries unable to open back up again. 

It may be possible to open Sport earlier with capped attendances, and maybe making all attendees wear a mask to minimise the risk of spreading to others. 

13 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Yes. I agree. But they’ll have to continue supporting those industries unable to open back up again. 

It may be possible to open Sport earlier with capped attendances, and maybe making all attendees wear a mask to minimise the risk of spreading to others. 

Youd then have to wash down the entire stadium after every match.

Closed door games would be a huge drain on finances for most clubs aswell.

No idea what the solution is tbh.

35 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

Why would closed door games be a huge drain on finances?

Play in daylight. No police needed. Players already being paid. 

Just curious why you think that?

I'm guessing clubs would be wary of the fact that these matches would have to be staged without any income from fans coming through the gate. I get that the argument is fans would pay to watch from home, but to be honest I think that raises a lot of logistical questions and it's a big risk for clubs. I'm not sure how exactly it would work. Broadcasters already have rights to those matches, so would those rights be over-rided? Would the law about not broadcasting matches at 3pm on a Saturday be relaxed? How much would the clubs charge, and how would the money be split? Would enough fans sign up for it to be worthwhile, or would a lot of fans end up watching potentially more attractive matches from England etc instead? There's also the question of how the poorer lower league clubs would make it work - do they have access to the necessary camera and production equipment to make it happen?

From a purely selfish point of view I'd love for it to happen - I'd love to be able to watch some live Saints games during lockdown. I'd actually be in favour of a system where you buy a subscription, matches are played at the same time throughout the four divisions, as a viewer you can surf between all of the different games, and the money gets split equally between all 42 clubs - but of course I realise that will never happen.

53 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

Why would closed door games be a huge drain on finances?

Play in daylight. No police needed. Players already being paid. 

Just curious why you think that?

You're paying a full squads wages, with not a single drop of matchday income.

Youd have to hope youd get the exact same crowd, paying the exact same price, to watch online that would appear for the actual match. Presumably this means only the home club could stream games.

I've watched games on Saints TV, and it crashes fairly regularly as normal, if you're expecting 8000 people to be watching a match against Celtic/Rangers through that one output, then you're dreaming. Theyd have to cap the amount of people who could watch live and I doubt youd get near 1000 before it takes it beyond its capabilities. 

The 3pm law has already been relaxed, by UEFA (I had no idea that was a UEFA thing). On your earlier point about wages, are Saints making them up to 100%? You don’t have to. They are continuing to pay a core team; that might be it.

The FM has given a pretty strong hint there might well not be any large gatherings this calendar year. Football in general is going to have to find a new, medium-term income model, and fast. That can only be pay per view, and unless the small teams can find a way to do this for their games, AND there is agreement on sharing some of the broadcast fees made by larger clubs with smaller clubs, then reconstruction will be required because multiple clubs will have gone under.

11 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

Could the BBC not use the cameras they already have at the matches to organise a pay per view with the league and the clubs?

Show links to each match on the BBC Sport website.

They are already at the match anyway. 

Suspect that would breach TV contracts. Sky/BT have the exclusive rights to top flight football, both for this season and next season.

Could ask them to do it PPV, but I wouldnt bet on them helping out.

8 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

The 3pm law has already been relaxed, by UEFA (I had no idea that was a UEFA thing). On your earlier point about wages, are Saints making them up to 100%? You don’t have to. They are continuing to pay a core team; that might be it.

The players cant claim furlough and play matches.

The moment the return to training, government assistance stops and Saints have to pay 100% of their wages.

5 hours ago, Cagey said:

Jason Holt says he hopes to be offered a contract from Saints.

Decent player but I don't think we can afford him & I would think Tommy might want to give some of the young guys that have been out on loan given the success with the young guys that have broken through in recent season.

Also Saints will have to draw their belt in.

Think all the loan guys will be allowed to go but would hope we could sign Booth as I don't think we could pick up a better left back.

Agree about Booth, let Holt go.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Suspect that would breach TV contracts. Sky/BT have the exclusive rights to top flight football, both for this season and next season.

Could ask them to do it PPV, but I wouldnt bet on them helping out.

The players cant claim furlough and play matches.

The moment the return to training, government assistance stops and Saints have to pay 100% of their wages.

I know. I was replying to Blueheaven’s point about the here and now.

The German league is set to restart behind closed doors but at some additional expense. £2.2 million for testing of all players and management at matches, supposedly before every match. Maximum of 314 people at each game including stewards ball boys etc. God knows how much they will be paying in additional insurance cover. 

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

The German league is set to restart behind closed doors but at some additional expense. £2.2 million for testing of all players and management at matches, supposedly before every match. Maximum of 314 people at each game including stewards ball boys etc. God knows how much they will be paying in additional insurance cover. 

The German government heavily subsidise the game over there. They heavily invested in every clubs stadium, and facilities, before the 2006 World Cup.

Each club gets a huge handout every Summer.

This is why they can afford the cheap match tickets everyone in this Country claims we should be getting.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

The German government heavily subsidise the game over there. They heavily invested in every clubs stadium, and facilities, before the 2006 World Cup.

This is why they can afford the cheap match tickets everyone in this Country claims we should be getting.

Always wondered about there pricing

14 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

You're paying a full squads wages, with not a single drop of matchday income.

Youd have to hope youd get the exact same crowd, paying the exact same price, to watch online that would appear for the actual match. Presumably this means only the home club could stream games.

I've watched games on Saints TV, and it crashes fairly regularly as normal, if you're expecting 8000 people to be watching a match against Celtic/Rangers through that one output, then you're dreaming. Theyd have to cap the amount of people who could watch live and I doubt youd get near 1000 before it takes it beyond its capabilities. 

Even if they could get past all of those issues and have 8,000 people streaming a match live with no problems, you'd probably only get around half of them actually paying for it because there would be a lot of instances of several people watching the match from within the same household so paying only once.

The Bundesliga making it happen is one thing, but they have much bigger crowds and a lot more money to throw about. I just can't see the SPFL being organised enough or slick enough to pull it off. The fact that they're more concerned with reconstruction, which really should be a complete non-issue at this point, says it all.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Germany is light years ahead of the UK in general,  not just football. 

19 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Youd then have to wash down the entire stadium after every match.

Closed door games would be a huge drain on finances for most clubs aswell.

No idea what the solution is tbh.

Pay to watch it on saints tv just up the price per game to entrance fee. Transmit away fans who would also pay gate fee. We could do the same to the other clubs when we are away and give them the gate fee. Do not know how difficult it would be to implement. I know this does not help with hospitality, kiosk and bar income but it is something.

I would certainly pay more to help out. 

5 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

How is this all going to work with the Rooney pre contract?

I can't see "Covid" changing any of that. That's why I think extending the season is a farce. You could (theoretically) play the last 10 games with a whole new team.

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Pay to watch it on saints tv just up the price per game to entrance fee. Transmit away fans who would also pay gate fee. We could do the same to the other clubs when we are away and give them the gate fee. Do not know how difficult it would be to implement. I know this does not help with hospitality, kiosk and bar income but it is something.

I would certainly pay more to help out. 

How does that work in practice though? Test everyone before the game and then play, let everyone go home and then go through the testing process again before the next game?

I just can't see how that's practical, never mind affordable.

18 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

I can't see "Covid" changing any of that. That's why I think extending the season is a farce. You could (theoretically) play the last 10 games with a whole new team.

Yep, and you can bet Hearts would take advantage of it by spending big on players for those last few games. Hibs could potentially do the same to try to hold on to their top 6 place. I think we're already past the cut-off point for there being any possibility of the remaining games being played fairly with existing squads.

5 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

How is this all going to work with the Rooney pre contract?

Don't know to be honest but imagine until a contract is signed at end of May,anyone of Rooney or Saints could withdraw  as happened with County player.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Don't know to be honest but imagine until a contract is signed at end of May,anyone of Rooney or Saints could withdraw  as happened with County player.

32 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

He never withdrew, his club paid a fee to Saints for his services again.

This.

The fee helped pay for Wotherspoon to join.