Player contracts and transfers

David123

I imagine all first-team players out of contract will be offered vastly reduced terms about 2 weeks before football starts up again, in a 'take it or leave it' situation. Most will be desperate.

Rooney is on is way, Holt may be offered something. I expect that will be it.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Linky said:

Just wonder how far these 'cuts' will extend. It seems like Davidson is getting a new contract. What about Wright? Without Tommy around, is it the end of the line for Kane? 

Think that headline is nothing more than a headline.

Swanson was a high earner who started about 3 league games last season. Him getting let go would be happening even if the budget was getting increased.

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Think that headline is nothing more than a headline.

Swanson was a high earner who started about 3 league games last season. Him getting let go would be happening even if the budget was getting increased.

How do you know he was a high earner? You simply do not you merely suspect he might be one of the high earners based on nothing at all. 

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

How do you know he was a high earner? You simply do not you merely suspect he might be one of the high earners based on nothing at all. 

His court case for assault had him telling a judge he earns £1500 a week in July 2019.

To me that's a high earner for Saints.

On his day there were few better attacking players than Danny. Unfortunately for various reasons these days are gone.

Hopefully he can get a decent club & show what he can do ,but not against us. I think he needs regular football to take him to a different place.

Tommy was good to him over his times with us & made allowances for his various problem with his mental heath,death of his best pal & his court case.

Good luck for the future Danny & thanks for all the good times.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:08 PM, bankfoot saint said:

Swanson released not a surprise 

6415FA4C-D36C-4A3B-A487-B7BEE5AF00EA.jpeg

Todays courier backing a PFA plea for players to get a short term contract extension so that he can continue to be paid under the furlough scheme. Some sympathy for him but at the same time players would have shown  no loyalty to the club had they another club to go to. 

13 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Todays courier backing a PFA plea for players to get a short term contract extension so that he can continue to be paid under the furlough scheme. Some sympathy for him but at the same time players would have shown  no loyalty to the club had they another club to go to. 

Union doing what it should be doing looking after its members, unlike some of the other unions

Loved watching Swanson play - I remember a particular game at Dens Park, during one of his previous stints with us, where he was the best player on the pitch by miles. Every little touch from him was a piece of class.

Unfortunately I think that given the shutdown situation, and his age, and him probably being a higher earner, I suspect he'd be on his way out now even if he'd had a good season. Hope he manages to find something else.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. How would it work in football though. If your co tract ends and you get offered a new one, would the govt allow that player to be furloughed? Football has odd rules re contracts, so I wonder if there could be some issues there.

On a wider point, this could all be to saints advantage. Squads will definitely be smaller and potentially some very decent players available lookimg for less money than previously.

Would imagine, while Saints are negatively affected, we might come out of this stronger relative to other peer clubs.

It's a shame to see Swanson go, but the right decision all round. On his day, a great player, but we cannot carry someone for another season who doesnt get enough game time on the wage he is on.

Could still do a great job for someone though. Would be brilliant at a St Mirren or a Livi.

I suspect Murray and Wright might still be here next season and if the club has any savvy, Liam will be on a player/coach contract.

Kane, I think will be a victim of this change in circumstance and combined with the emergence of Hendry will likely be away. 

Edited by TheYellowBox

9 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

I suspect Murray and Wright might still be here next season and if the club has any savvy, Liam will be on a player/coach contract.

Kane, I think will be a victim of this change in circumstance and combined with the emergence of Hendry will likely be away. 

I think Murray's only getting a deal because he has the option on his contract (plus he has the testimonial lined up). I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's the only renewal we do. Under normal circumstances I'd be fully on board with a player/coach contract for Craig, but at the moment there's not even a squad to coach. With Tommy no longer around to put pressure on the board to hold onto players like Drey, I think it will become a lot easier for the club to simply let the rest go. Especially as letting those players go might make it more achievable for the club to honour the ongoing contracts of the other players and staff.

It could be months and months before we play football again. I think the club could come to the conclusion that the sensible thing to do is let players go, wait until we need a squad again, and then see who we can pick up (after all, there will be no shortage of free agents once football gets going again).

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

I think Saints have a decent squad signed for next season. In normal times this would be good but with the present situation it means they have to pay a lot of wages"less £2500" with no income.

I think they’ll be very few signings from any club really, the financial situation is so dire. Even the OF will have their top players picked off by clubs from abroad I expect. Unless a club is without a player in a key position (goalkeeper, for example), I can’t see anyone from 6th place downwards signing anyone new.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I think Saints have a decent squad signed for next season. In normal times this would be good but with the present situation it means they have to pay a lot of wages"less £2500" with no income.

Not if they have furloughed the players which with the exception of 6 they have staff which i think iincludes Liam, Jason, Alec C. so unless they are paying the other 20% will have no costs at present.