Player contracts and transfers

David123

Got any quotes that say they are? Pre-2009 we were in a worse spot than we are now. 4 years in Europe back to back. Can't remember the club ever stating anything regarding club finances and I don't expect that to change. I do remember reading a quote from GB stating he regretted not buying Griffiths. If a player requires a fee and will benefit us, i expect us to pay

What about Tommy's interview in NI recently?

States that any deals for Gormley or Heatley would be hard to finance. Doesn't sound too promising.

It's going to be released players or loans. Just like it has been for a few years.

Just playing devils advocate btw. If we were to spend money this summer I expect it would be on Swanson (£100-150k) if he was prepared to sign up for 2-3 years.

I think the board will support TW as they have previous managers financially if a player has that something special (like Swanson) that can make a big difference to our season.

I think he fits us really well and I don't expect us to pay for anyone else.

Before the deal for Muzz though.

Whilst in the 1st division. I agree with you on the whole that compared to where we were 5-6 years ago when forking out fees, in our current position we should be a more attractive option to a lot of free agents and there are plenty of decent players on a free every year.

Gormley would've cost more than double them, combined. To suggest we can afford £100k+ transfers is insane.

In the first division we paid a substantial amount for Craig (was it not £40k plus add ons?) then £50k for Muzz and Dave so £100k for an outstanding player is not out of the question. We must be in a better state financially than we were then.

It would have to be someone with undoubted quality (not James Collins to Hibs) like a Leigh Griffiths type or Swanson etc. someone that would be a major asset with sell on potential or signed to a long term deal for their best years.

We paid for Grainger the same summer. Just under £40k. We also bid around £80k for Leigh Griffiths.

We were willing to pay a fee for James Dunne at the beginning of last summer too. We've signed quite a few young guys over the last couple of years who will have required development fees too.

To be honest, there's plenty of good players out of contract each year. We don't need to be paying fees.

Gormley would've cost more than double them, combined. To suggest we can afford £100k+ transfers is insane.

Totally agree with you.

For anyone to even dream of the club spending £100-150k on one player is not in the real world.

This is not fantasy football being discussed.

Anyone with these thoughts needs to book an emergency appointment with the Phychiatrists couch.

P.S. good luck.

In the first division we paid a substantial amount for Craig (was it not £40k plus add ons?) then £50k for Muzz and Dave so £100k for an outstanding player is not out of the question. We must be in a better state financially than we were then.

It would have to be someone with undoubted quality (not James Collins to Hibs) like a Leigh Griffiths type or Swanson etc. someone that would be a major asset with sell on potential or signed to a long term deal for their best years.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that, if theres a player whos already proven himself as a standout at our level then we will be willing to spend money on them, Swanson being a prime example, the fact we offered Sandaza and then May contracts to apparently be our highest ever earners also stands up to that.

Gormley wasnt that though, it would be absolutely mental to spend over £100k on a striker who's never played full time football in his life, especially as that sort of transfer would result in us not being able to sign anyone else. As much as the whole idea of him sounded tremendous, it would completely **** us to spend that much on him if he completely flopped, which is more than possible.

This could turn out to be bull plop, but some Motherwell fans on twitter are saying that we're signing John Sutton.

The 'us signing Sutton' rumours were circulating a few weeks ago. When Well announced that he wasn't one that they would be releasing, I just presumed that that would be that

The 'us signing Sutton' rumours were circulating a few weeks ago. When Well announced that he wasn't one that they would be releasing, I just presumed that that would be that

He scored 13 goals last season, but I don't think he started too many games.

Some Killie fans are now saying that Sutton has turned them down to sign for us as well.

I suspect it might be a 2 year deal if he does sign, possibly what has given us the edge over the other clubs in for him.

Obviously all speculation, but I'm clinging on to this, as he's a player I really want to see at Saints.

Why's it insane? We could certainly afford that.

That's not to say it would be sensible to spend that sort of money, given the number of out-of-contract players available for nothing. Someone like Gormley would be too high a risk to spend lots of money on.