Player contracts and transfers

David123

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/297706/danny-swanson-playing-best-football-career-st-johnstone/

For what it is worth this was from October 12 2016 -

"Swanson’s contract will run out in the summer but the 29-year-old doesn’t believe there is any need to rush talks over an extended deal.

“I have spoken to the gaffer a few times but we’ve not discussed numbers or anything,” he reported.

“It’s on the back burner at the moment, I’m just concentrating on the football.

“I’m happy where I am. I don’t like change so I just want to stay focused on the football.

“I know what I’m doing at the moment, I don’t like worrying about other things.

“So I’m just training away and it will take care of itself.”"

Hopefully he still thinks the same & if anyone other than His had shown interested I would not have worried.

FWIW I'd expect him to leave, tbh. His actions before he signed for Hearts, where he got the club to spend days negotiating his release from Coventry, then had the staff at the stadium all night for contract talks, before agreeing to sign for Hearts instead and asking for ridiculous wages when talking to us, summed him up.

Agree

however why the flak not he's a professional seeking as much as possible and if hibs  double his wage that's fine and I don't blame him.  

He's one of the sole reasons we're in the top six so far so Saints pony up and secure his services 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/321636/st-johnstone-boss-hopes-perth-club-box-seat-keep-danny-swanson/

"Wright said: “I informed the club last April that I wanted Danny to be re-signed. Unfortunately it hasn’t happened yet.

“I don’t want him to leave, he’s our best player. I feel as though I get the best out of him. He’s had a torrid time at Hearts. Down in England it wasn’t great for him. His best spells of football have been with me and St Johnstone."

There was an article this week saying that a number of Hibs players are out of contract in the summer but the club will not be entering into negotiatings with them until they know which division they're going to be in. Therefore I can't see them offering Swanson a big money deal unless they get promoted.

The PA does quote Tommy this morning saying that part of the issue is that Swanson is between agents at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if the club were quite keen to get this done but the player is happy to wait.

As has been said, hopefully Swanson realises that he is in a 'good place' at the moment given his problems in the past.

The PA does quote Tommy this morning saying that part of the issue is that Swanson is between agents at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if the club were quite keen to get this done but the player is happy to wait.

As has been said, hopefully Swanson realises that he is in a 'good place' at the moment given his problems in the past.

Yeah,hopefully he keeps that paragraph in mind & is not swayed by agent wanting his pound of flesh.

Guest ScottMann

FWIW I'd expect him to leave, tbh. His actions before he signed for Hearts, where he got the club to spend days negotiating his release from Coventry, then had the staff at the stadium all night for contract talks, before agreeing to sign for Hearts instead and asking for ridiculous wages when talking to us, summed him up.

What wage was he asking for?

Guest ScottMann

Can't believe that people on here are packing his bags already :laugh:

It's understandable though given it's us, it's Hibs, plus he's apparently had months to agree a new deal and hasn't, leaving the door open for all kinds of conjecture. When did we last hold on to a star player when a bigger club came in for him, no matter what division they're in? Danny Griffin perhaps?

Danny G is a right nice lad who got stuck in with the big lads from FFIT club and helped make the fans in training a success. Long forgiven for his own goal that hardly anyone ever remembers when they are in his company!!!!!!! eye right wink wink.

Danny S is up there with the best that has worn a saints shirt in the last 10 years, still waiting on that unforgettable moment as a saintee but I hope he stays long enough to create his own bit of history. 

It's understandable though given it's us, it's Hibs, plus he's apparently had months to agree a new deal and hasn't, leaving the door open for all kinds of conjecture. When did we last hold on to a star player when a bigger club came in for him, no matter what division they're in? Danny Griffin perhaps?

We held on to May when Peterborough come in for him in the January window. And its hard to argue, after Neilsons move, that this league is more of a draw than League One down there.

Guest ScottMann

We held on to May when Peterborough come in for him in the January window. And its hard to argue, after Neilsons move, that this league is more of a draw than League One down there.

We only held on to him because Brown couldn't agree payment terms for the pittance of a fee he'd  agreed with Peterborough. 

What were the ridiculous wages Swanson was asking for?

Guest ScottMann

Wotherspoon in contract talks, whilst Swanson is not.

Seems an odd one.

Its also strange that Shaughnessy has been in talks over a new deal for a few months aswell.

Why are you ignoring the question about Swanson's wage demand?

Wotherspoon in contract talks, whilst Swanson is not.

Seems an odd one.

Its also strange that Shaughnessy has been in talks over a new deal for a few months aswell.

For some reason Wright rates Wotherspoon. He is slow ,can't tackle or defend.

A passenger in most games who can do one thing in a game to look good.

Should have done a stopover & shoot instead of passing to Danny today.

For some reason Wright rates Wotherspoon. He is slow ,can't tackle or defend.

A passenger in most games who can do one thing in a game to look good.

Should have done a stopover & shoot instead of passing to Danny today.

Actually thought he had a good game today and wouldn't be unhappy about him getting a new deal, also doesn't pick up injuries like half the midfield, very good player on his day

Edited by crieffsaintandy