Player contracts and transfers

David123

Arbroath paying £8k for Swankie & County bidding £80k for Draper.

Saints don't do paying fees . Tommy just brings in 3 or 4 frees each season & hopes for the best. Mind you paying a fee doesn't guarantee you a jewel as Sevco can testify so Tommy maybe has the right idea.

Scougall our big signing to replace Swanson , Tanser looks a bomb scare at the moment to replace Scobbie . Scobbie who could play right across the back 4 . Young midfielder and forward question being will they , are they good enough for 1st team . O'halloran could we, would he come back ? . We need someone with pace that Scougall could link with and make runs for him . 

The budget - surely there is enough left for a quality front man ?

Scougall showed quality tonight and looks well worthy of the investment, but our defence was poor, midfield was pedestrian and not stong and sadly we all know that up top is where our greatest weaknesses lie.

It is only our second competitive game of the season so defense and midfield I have no comments on. It is the same old story as last season, no stand-out striker to give us an edge over bottom six teams.

To get the full benefit out of Macca, we need a Stevie May type playing with him

Without that, Macca will not win us games. Neither Cummins or Kane have enough to forge that kind of partnership with MacLean

How would Thomson fair up top? He has the pace, his technical ability is improving and he can pick out a decent angle for a shot every now and again, as demonstrated in Aberdeen.  I think we're missing a trick with him, and reckon he'd make a good interim at least until we can find someone a bit more established up that end.

Ah if only for the excitement signing players like Sergei, Sekerlioglu, Wright, Dodds, even O'Coke. Players that you were genuinely excited to watch. We had attendances then. We don't now. We are a very 1 dimensional team. I'd love us to take a risk, but we don't do that. Must be a Sandaza in spanish lower leagues. The Australian A-League has some quality. Have we changed our scouts/scouting strategy in recent years? Or do we rely on agents sending video clips of lame ducks?

How would Thomson fair up top? He has the pace, his technical ability is improving and he can pick out a decent angle for a shot every now and again, as demonstrated in Aberdeen.  I think we're missing a trick with him, and reckon he'd make a good interim at least until we can find someone a bit more established up that end.

You can't be serious surely? 

Ah if only for the excitement signing players like Sergei, Sekerlioglu, Wright, Dodds, even O'Coke. Players that you were genuinely excited to watch. We had attendances then. We don't now. We are a very 1 dimensional team. I'd love us to take a risk, but we don't do that. Must be a Sandaza in spanish lower leagues. The Australian A-League has some quality. Have we changed our scouts/scouting strategy in recent years? Or do we rely on agents sending video clips of lame ducks?

Tommy has openly said that he prefers to bring in Scottish/British players as there's less of a gamble and they settle in more quickly/easily. Given his record here it's hard to argue with that... but personally I would agree that a player from further afield could add a different dimension that it's hard to see us getting from amongst the usual crop of available names (perhaps with the exception of MOH).

Tommy has openly said that he prefers to bring in Scottish/British players as there's less of a gamble and they settle in more quickly/easily. Given his record here it's hard to argue with that... but personally I would agree that a player from further afield could add a different dimension that it's hard to see us getting from amongst the usual crop of available names (perhaps with the exception of MOH).

It's a shame you'd have to spend months scouting a foreign based player. 

I'm now desperate for us to go after Tade. 

St Johnstone have not had a regular striker who scores 20 plus goals season after season since the Paul Wright, George O'Boyle days,Stevie may etc have done it then bigger clubs want them,like every team in the SPL apart from a few they all want that striker,I would imagine Tommy has tried but funds have prevented this and can't see much coming his way, saints are well run club stay in the black, unfortunately this is realty saints won't get Steve may back, can't afford him, Cummins is poor said this for last season and half only scored when he needed a contract,kane is our best hope of macca s back up, this will probably be macca s last year god help us after that.

What's our scouting like? Do we invest in actually searching for these players? It's something I never hear mentioned at Saints.

Not 100% of this but is our scout not also our sports science guy?

Sports science guy certainly does the opposition analysis and I very much doubt we have a seperate recruitment scout. Our scouting pretty much consists of word of mouth, contacts and just general knowledge of players i would imagine. 

For all the doom and gloom, we've still got a decent squad. We all know we're desperate for a quality forward and wide player, yet if we somehow managed to get MOH and one other we'd be in great shape going into the new season.

I don't think the manager is unaware of our need for a forward, it just seems difficult to get anyone of quality.

If there's little on the horizon, rather than a Connor salmon/ Rory fallon type signing, I'd happily see us throw the dice on some unknown foreign player who would at least bring something different and a bit of interest. With pace. Has to have pace!

You can blame Brown or Tommy but ultimately down to the people of perthshire to get behind the club go and support them at home and put your money into the club, we can get between 5500 and 7000 for Euro games but barely get 2500 for home games that tells you the story

They can't even get behind the Saints club which fundraise 52 weeks of the year guys an lassie flogging there Arses off raising money for Saints  there were 13 people in the club for the traki game which says it all, but quiet happily pour there cash into the tulloch.

Support the club or lose it simplest.

Aberdeen sign a striker with a further two players to follow. Opens up the chances of Miles Storey becoming available. 

I'd be happy with that, although Jo doubt we won't bother making a move, he'll join Partick and we'll be left scrambling around 33yo free agents. 

Not 100% of this but is our scout not also our sports science guy?

Sports science guy certainly does the opposition analysis and I very much doubt we have a seperate recruitment scout. Our scouting pretty much consists of word of mouth, contacts and just general knowledge of players i would imagine. 

Sports science and video analysis is done by the same person Alex Hendrick, but we have a guy going out looking at the opposition and reporting on games Ewan Peacock..

Aberdeen sign a striker with a further two players to follow. Opens up the chances of Miles Storey becoming available. 

I'd be happy with that, although Jo doubt we won't bother making a move, he'll join Partick and we'll be left scrambling around 33yo free agents. 

Don't get this obsession with Storey. He played the second half against our reserves last week & can't say I noticed him.

You can blame Brown or Tommy but ultimately down to the people of perthshire to get behind the club go and support them at home and put your money into the club, we can get between 5500 and 7000 for Euro games but barely get 2500 for home games that tells you the story

They can't even get behind the Saints club which fundraise 52 weeks of the year guys an lassie flogging there Arses off raising money for Saints  there were 13 people in the club for the traki game which says it all, but quiet happily pour there cash into the tulloch.

Support the club or lose it simplest.

Not sure why we can't blame Brown & Wright.

It's great that we have been top 6 in the last few years & they have to take the credit for that but over the last 4 or 5 years I struggle to remember any games & enjoyed & was not on the edge of my seat until final whistle.

Crowds will only return if there is something to enjoy.

Don't get this obsession with Storey. He played the second half against our reserves last week & can't say I noticed him.