Player contracts and transfers

David123

I don't think our wage bill will be too much higher than this time last year.

From the wage bill at the start of last season we've removed Dave Mackay, Brad McKay, Tam Scobbie, Michael Coulson, Joe Gormley and Danny Swanson.

We've added Richard Foster, Scott Tanser, Stefan Scougall and Michael O'Halloran on loan. Have I missed anyone else?

Pure guesswork, but D Mackay and Foster cancel each other out, B McKay and Scobbie would cost more than Tanser; and Coulson, Swanson and Gormley would cost at least as much as O'Halloran and Scougall.

Add to that we're trying to move Watson on.

It just seems that we've moved a few fringe players on (Dave Mac and Swanson apart) and brought in first team players.  Only Tanser out of the players signed in the last year would be considered a 'fringe' player. And if we do bring in another 'jewel' up front, then going by what the manager and others have said, it sounds like he's likely to be another starter.

A good summer's business already, a quality striker would be the icing on the cake.

Guest ScottMann

For all the 'we missed out on another striker with MacDonald going to Dundee United' brigade, an exchange between Chris Sutton and Stephen Craigan before the Dundee derby has more or less conformed that he's a bad influence in the dressing room. I doubt he'd have been on Tommy's radar if so.

I think also it's hard to predict how players fit into teams. MacLean is a great player for us, but remember the number of goals he scored from inside the 6 yard box when we had an in form MOH before. Without MOH he reverted to playing deeper.

I worry that Cummins and Kane aren't clinical enough. Someone like Sammon might score 15 goals in a season if MOH is putting them on a plate for him, because he is an instinctive finisher.

Time will tell.

I don't think our wage bill will be too much higher than this time last year.

From the wage bill at the start of last season we've removed Dave Mackay, Brad McKay, Tam Scobbie, Michael Coulson, Joe Gormley and Danny Swanson.

We've added Richard Foster, Scott Tanser, Stefan Scougall and Michael O'Halloran on loan. Have I missed anyone else?

Pure guesswork, but D Mackay and Foster cancel each other out, B McKay and Scobbie would cost more than Tanser; and Coulson, Swanson and Gormley would cost at least as much as O'Halloran and Scougall.

Add to that we're trying to move Watson on.

It just seems that we've moved a few fringe players on (Dave Mac and Swanson apart) and brought in first team players.  Only Tanser out of the players signed in the last year would be considered a 'fringe' player. And if we do bring in another 'jewel' up front, then going by what the manager and others have said, it sounds like he's likely to be another starter.

A good summer's business already, a quality striker would be the icing on the cake.

Should McClean & Hendry to that list ?.

Probably should, but I left them off as the manager had said they were for the Development team, and I thought we've probably released a few development level players over the same period..

They also aren't the hottest prospects in town in the same way which was portrayed with George Hunter for example, so I can't imagine they would be on as much as what he was (not that development wages are the most significant anyway).

They also aren't the hottest prospects in town in the same way which was portrayed with George Hunter for example, so I can't imagine they would be on as much as what he was (not that development wages are the most significant anyway).

I don't actually know, but surely someone picked up from Forest will be on more than someone picked up from Spartans u18s? Doesn't cancel our rear of your point though. 

There is also the argument that these type of players do not carry a high employment value now, Yes they would have been on a better pay scale in other teams youth set up's but they are now cut loose into the big open world of football, and some are now completely lost to be honest! they have been looked after, run here and there accommodation supplied, etc etc.

The two we have picked up from Nottingham Forrest and Blackburn will look at this as at least they are still involved in the senior game at the minute I do think this is a problem where youngsters starting from to 10 up until 22 can be in this potential bubble then are cast loose and in reality are not at the level required, I would put Liam Caddis in this category as well, he was always doing well as a youngster but never really progressed later on in his twenties, possibly peaked at 16-17 and never really improved after this, however he had little bargaining power so would be easy to deal with as he knew nothing else was ever really on the horizon,

This is not meant as being critical of any players talent just a idea that some of these players we have signed now and in the past could have been costing the club very little to try and get them a foothold back in the game.  

The example above about Hunter and McLean is a good one Hunter had a few teams after him at the time (reportable any way) so he had a bit of bargaining behind him , McLean and Hendry may not have had many suitors at their door when they were released,

Does anyone know where Clive Smith has landed up at yet (Only interested as he may be in this position now).             

A little disappointed to hear that we won't be offering Habran a deal, although I can understand it with MOH back in the fold.

Going to be interesting to see what he is like given he's played very few games and given the manner of his departure last time he might not be given much time to get to form from some of the fans.

Assuming we can keep MOH and Scougall fit, then we should have the players to offer opportunites, next is bringing someone in who can take them.

Not sure on the names banded about. Sammon and Storey both had a decent period of goal scoring but haven't managed to follow it up. Cifici, not sure his attitude is in the right place given he's been at Celtic and on loan a couple of time and done nothing.

If he signed (big if) I do see a Riordan/Beattie type of signing. Hope I'm wrong though.

Obviously delighted with Scougall and MOH but a little disappointed that neither of Tommys top two targets for the summer were strikers. Id have thought that was the biggest priority seeing as we've been looking for a couple of seasons now.

Edited by Broon

How how do you know it wasn't top of his list? Maybe his top target wasn't available early on and he was prepared to wait? He's replaced Swanson and brought in much needed pace, so has actually improved us from last season, a season which we finished 4th with the strikers available. 

Im not saying we don't need a new striker, we clearly do, but I fail to see how any saints fan could be disappointed by the way this transfer is going. 

Obviously delighted with Scougall and MOH but a little disappointed that neither of Tommys top two targets for the summer were strikers. Id have thought that was the biggest priority seeing as we've been looking for a couple of seasons now.

There is another jewel that he wants. Bigger than both you have mentioned.

I'm sure that Saints fans will understand the need to keep quiet on certain things. There's a reason why the names of Miles Storey and Conor Sammon have been revealed in the press whilst another particular name hasn't. Tommy clearly doesn't want the information to be leaked and it's probably in the club's best interests to prevent it from doing so.