Player contracts and transfers

David123

Just putting this out there but storey and sammon to thistle kris doolan surplus to requirements ??

So would he be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice signing?

Truth is, it's comical. Folk have put 2 and 2 togther and got 5. 1st Team alleged striker who couldn't hit a barn door goes on loan, so that must mean someone's coming in.  Other than a couple of comments by the manager last week, there has been absolutely NO indication that Saints are going to bring anyone in.  My opinion is that same as the poster yesterday in that the loan-outs have been done to balance books.  Let's face it if you're not doing the job your paid for (ie score goals) you might as well do that elsewhere... Saves Saints a few quid.

This will be another season of "go with what we have".  Hugely disappointing, but certainly not unexpected.

The thing you can take aim at is that this is another triumph for the mighty Saints PR machine.  Of course Kane on loan was out of leftfield, which caught us all out.  Of course supporters would think the way they are regarding a replacement.  However, Saints communication to those supprters, as per usual, is completely and utterly useless...

Could anyone give a brief explanation as to why the books currently need to be balanced? Are we in dire financial straits?

To address the questions asked earlier, I've been told the names of a couple of players we are interested in. Both would be a step-up from Miles Storey and five step-ups from Conor Sammon. Will either actually sign for Saints and, if so, when? Truthfully, I don't know. I just don't think that people should get angry and jump to conclusions before the transfer window has closed. If, by the end of the month, it has transpired that we've put Kane out on loan without a contingency plan, then yes, it would be worthy of more than mild annoyance.

Edited by The Real Saints

Could anyone give a brief explanation as to why the books currently need to be balanced? Are we in dire financial straits?

To address the questions asked earlier, I've been told the names of a couple of players we are interested in. Both would be a step-up from Miles Storey and five step-ups from Conor Sammon. Will either actually sign for Saints, and when? Truthfully, I don't know. I just don't think that people should get angry and jump to conclusions before the transfer window has closed. If, by the end of the month, it has transpired that we've put Kane out on loan without a contingency plan, then yes, it would be worthy of more than mild annoyance.

Not sure if mild annoyance covers it may be quietly disappointed 

So would he be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice signing?

Truth is, it's comical. Folk have put 2 and 2 togther and got 5. 1st Team alleged striker who couldn't hit a barn door goes on loan, so that must mean someone's coming in.  Other than a couple of comments by the manager last week, there has been absolutely NO indication that Saints are going to bring anyone in.  My opinion is that same as the poster yesterday in that the loan-outs have been done to balance books.  Let's face it if you're not doing the job your paid for (ie score goals) you might as well do that elsewhere... Saves Saints a few quid.

This will be another season of "go with what we have".  Hugely disappointing, but certainly not unexpected.

The thing you can take aim at is that this is another triumph for the mighty Saints PR machine.  Of course Kane on loan was out of leftfield, which caught us all out.  Of course supporters would think the way they are regarding a replacement.  However, Saints communication to those supprters, as per usual, is completely and utterly useless...

He said this morning Kerr and Kane were loaned out to help sign someone else. 

What are you wanting them to say exactly?

He said this morning Kerr and Kane were loaned out to help sign someone else. 

Where did he say that?  It's nearly 2pm now, and that's the first time that's been mentioned on here today.  Great if he did say it, but clearly as per my point about effective communication, it's been said somewhere that doesn't really have that great a reach.

However, Saints communication to those supprters, as per usual, is completely and utterly useless...

What are you expecting to be communicated? If they shout from the rooftops about potential targets, especially if we're going for a left-field signing, then all that does is open it up for other clubs to swoop in and outbid.

Storey was a widely reported target and look at the meltdown that's currently taking place once supporters realise he's not coming.

I lay into the club comms quite regularly, but your criticism right now is completely unjustified.

What are you wanting them to say exactly?

My point was about the effectiveness or otherwise of Saints PR - an ongoing issue that's been talked about to death on here, as you know.  What anyone would want them to say about this situation is a bit of a moot point, but the facts at the moment are these:

1) A first team player has gone out on loan
2) That player is a striker, an area we are short of players in
3) Paying supporters WILL think, "ah that must mean a new signing"
4) The longer Saints leave it without clarifying intentions, the more frustrated supporters will become (and they are, on several websites), alienating them and potentially causing a drop in attendance at games.  Even coming out and saying they have no plans to sign anyone is better than silence.

PR - It's not really that complicated.

The board have delivered Tommy's top targets for wide left and 'attacking midfield'. We are clearly still in the market for a striker and there's no evidence anywhere - other than a few articles and rumours of a meeting between Sammon and Wright - that suggest we were even in for these guys (I would suggest we at least talked to them, but who's to say it was followed up with any kind of offer?)

The one mistake I see so far in all of this is letting Kane go before we had the replacement secured and in place. Reading Naysmith's interview, they'd chased Kane for most of the summer and I'm sure they would've waited at least another week for us to get a replacement.

There's still 3 full weeks left in the window. I don't see too many potential options out there, but I am sure the manager and board are in discussions with players they feel will improve the squad. I'd be lying if I said I'm not starting to feel a bit anxious, especially as only have 2 senior strikers currently on our books, but we've got to just trust the club to get someone in place.

Holy shit! Something really needs to happen. Feels like everyone has strengthend dramatically.

We only have MOH for six months and at best he is hot and cold, scougall while maybe not up to speed has looked OK but not amazing.

Our forward line is a joke 

Given the choice at the beginning of pre-season would you rather have had Sammon and Storey or Scougall and MOH? Cos I know what I'm happier with.

Personally I'm still confident we'll add another striker. I'm also confident we'll finish above Partick.

My point was about the effectiveness or otherwise of Saints PR - an ongoing issue that's been talked about to death on here, as you know.  What anyone would want them to say about this situation is a bit of a moot point, but the facts at the moment are these:

1) A first team player has gone out on loan
2) That player is a striker, an area we are short of players in
3) Paying supporters WILL think, "ah that must mean a new signing"
4) The longer Saints leave it without clarifying intentions, the more frustrated supporters will become (and they are, on several websites), alienating them and potentially causing a drop in attendance at games.  Even coming out and saying they have no plans to sign anyone is better than silence.

PR - It's not really that complicated.

Squad player goes out on loan = drop in attendances.

Right you are.

If the tiny amount of cash QOS are likely to be able to pay towards the loanees is needed, basically we're going bust.

Exactly. Given we just gave Kane a new deal, you'd assume it would have been an increase in wages. Possibly QOS will be paying pretty much just the increase or at best, offsetting that plus a small portion of his old wage. Can't imagine we are freeing up much wages at all.

More likely it's a head count thing and any free wages are used already for MOH.

If we are pinning our hopes on some mysterious striker it's utter stupidity. We could be out bid at any point and it's not likely there is some proven goal scorer out there sitting by his phone desperate for Tommy and Steve to make his dream come true of playing for Saints.

What are you expecting to be communicated? If they shout from the rooftops about potential targets, especially if we're going for a left-field signing, then all that does is open it up for other clubs to swoop in and outbid..

We are unlikely to be able to outbid many clubs for any player worth having, so that argument doesn't wash. Saints signings come because there's a package available to them to develop as players, certainly not cash.