David123

Player contracts and transfers

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, saint_markperth said:

Obviously I've been going to see saints 30 years..... But by your logic because he was good or is a legend we should pay him until he retires, that's what got us in this state with all players that are not as good or cannot play 

The May 2014 shades have been a hindrance to us over the last 4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paton gave everything for Saints, wish him well.  Very surprised by this as he started most weeks and seemed a Tommy type of midfielder in terms of kept it simple and was a real battler.

However, I'm not complaining at this decision. At times I found our style of play when he was in the team very poor to watch, and don't think him and Murray together was a good partnership in centre midfield as we struggled to keep possession.  We had far too many midfielders with the recent signing, so it is probably right that one is released. 

Quite happy at our activity this window, many of us have pushed for fresh faces and some pace in the team, and it seems that the manager has tried to do that. Look forward to seeing how things go over the next few weeks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, saint_markperth said:

Obviously I've been going to see saints 30 years..... But by your logic because he was good or is a legend we should pay him until he retires, that's what got us in this state with all players that are not as good or cannot play 

He only has a few months to go after his "Unexpected" years extension and he has made a contribution that IMO earned us points in a couple of games that he featured in.! He is a "Cripple" that has always given of his best.! p.s. What State.! we are 2 points of sixth place after a shitty spell.! are you sure you are not a mordor moron in disguise.! because you deffo sound like one.!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PanamaSaint said:

If ever a player looked like a thug and was posted in the media as such and was exactly the opposite, it was Pates. I don't quite get that one. I had the huge pleasure of speaking to him at the poty last year. What a great guy. 

Tbf he got that reputation because he attacked someone in an alleyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Can you explain this Havana?

The Cup Win for the first time  in 130 years is obviously veiwed as a "Hindrance" to some  a mere 40 odd months later.!? Stop smokin the Cigars Havana ."! ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, croc said:

The Cup Win for the first time  in 130 years is obviously veiwed as a "Hindrance" to some  a mere 40 odd months later.!? Stop smokin the Cigars Havana ."! ..

I think his point is that some of that team are deemed untouchable and cannot be criticised. We should be eternally greatful to that team, but it shouldn’t deter from that fact that a good portion of them that are still here are passed their sell by date.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, croc said:

The Cup Win for the first time  in 130 years is obviously veiwed as a "Hindrance" to some  a mere 40 odd months later.!? Stop smokin the Cigars Havana ."! ..

I thought he was meaning that because the group of players won the Cup, it's blinkered everyone's opinion of those players... but I wasn't sure that's why I was asking.

We've finished 4th every season since the Cup win with that group of players!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Can you explain this Havana?

Faith in too many players who have performed in the past but have underperformed this season.  As has been outlined by numerous others, (I agree with them)  something like 7 of the starting XI in the cup final team are still at the club and really are in the twilight of their careers - that's being tactful.  It is sad to see the demise of players of high calibre historically.  I read with interest the prevous posts surrounding the end of Dasovic's career, a quite exceptional talent who played for the club. 

"Love is blindness" as the song goes..  You are only as good as your last game.  Monday night was extremely encuraging on many levels.  Our future is what we want it to be, not grasping to previous glories.  It starts with the nucleus of the team on Monday.....onwards...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players age; they're not as quick as they used to be (or in some cases they're even slower than they were); it's a natural progression that every side goes through.

Transition is never easy unless you throw obscene amounts of cash at it, so we've always got to have one eye on the future. Over-reliance on players who aren't getting any younger is only going to store up a lot of trouble.

Yes, those players won the Cup, but as a side we've been deteriorating since then simply because of this over-reliance on the Cup winners who aren't getting any younger and who are clearly visibly slower this season. We need to move on, and by playing the younger players regularly we will do that. Stay with the same old same old and we will stagnate before being relegated. Onwards and upwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Denzil said:

So you'd prefer it if we keep playing the remnants of the Cup winning side until they're on Zimmer frames, eh? Great, I can't wait! :roll:

Such a gormless post.! I would just like to see a great servant to the club seeing out the last few months of his contract without being labelled as a cripple who needs to be got rid of pronto.! It seems to me that a few who wish to forget the cup winning side are harking back to it more than I am and have been suffering from delusions of granduer since that great day.!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gormless eh? If they were offered better gigs elsewhere they'd be off like a shot... every single one of them; but when the boot's on the other foot... Time to take those rose-tinted specs off. That team has it's place cemented in the club's history, but nostalgia  doesn't win points. This is the here and now, not May 2014.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

Faith in too many players who have performed in the past but have underperformed this season.  As has been outlined by numerous others, (I agree with them)  something like 7 of the starting XI in the cup final team are still at the club and really are in the twilight of their careers - that's being tactful.  It is sad to see the demise of players of high calibre historically.  I read with interest the prevous posts surrounding the end of Dasovic's career, a quite exceptional talent who played for the club. 

"Love is blindness" as the song goes..  You are only as good as your last game.  Monday night was extremely encuraging on many levels.  Our future is what we want it to be, not grasping to previous glories.  It starts with the nucleus of the team on Monday.....onwards...

 

Ok, you're now talking about this season.  Yes we definitely need a few changes and to freshen up the squad, but your original post was

 

2 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

The May 2014 shades have been a hindrance to us over the last 4 years.

Which is what I'm questioning. Yes this season a few players have struggled, but we've finished 4th for three seasons in a row with that same group, so I'm questioning in what way loyalty to the Cup squad the past three seasons has been a hindrance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PanamaSaint said:

If ever a player looked like a thug and was posted in the media as such and was exactly the opposite, it was Pates. I don't quite get that one. I had the huge pleasure of speaking to him at the poty last year. What a great guy. 

Were you at the POTY awards?  You've never mentioned that before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...