Player contracts and transfers

David123

The problem with Danny Swanson is that he's the type of footballer who desperately needs to be playing regularly to maintain his fitness and performance levels. He has started this season well enough after a full pre-season, but I can see his form and fitness quickly dropping off if he's sitting on the bench every week (which he probably will be, let's be honest). At the wages he'll be on, is it worth it?

Edited by The Real Saints

9 minutes ago, Gas Monkey said:

So was the Estonian dude signed as a first choice pairing with Kerr or as a squad/cover player? Dropped today which either suggests the latter or that TW has made another howler of a signing?

He’s a loan player with an option to buy if he impresses. Can’t lose. It’s cover we needed 

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Well it's true. MOH has had over six months of contributing almost nothing, and has now caught fire again, yet Swanson is in and out the team constantly yet is getting slaughtered from all angles.

I dont think we need him in the squad and think his wage could be used, but you're verging on coming across as something with an agenda with how far you're pushing your whole anti-Swanson thing. He came on today and set up the equalier with one of the best deliveries all game, you surely cant slate him and claim hes not contributing after that?

Well I don't have any agenda other than wanting better results and performances. MOH started slow but has been getting slowly better pretty much every game. 

I've given him credit where I think it's been merited and he was fine today. I agree he contributed but context is everything. Against a tired defence with less than 10 minutes to play, fine. 

I get the impression you're arguing for the sake of it. In all honesty do you not think his wage would be better spent? You've been on about McMillan and Callachan, who will probably be on buttons compared to Swanson. 

19 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Well I don't have any agenda other than wanting better results and performances. MOH started slow but has been getting slowly better pretty much every game. 

I've given him credit where I think it's been merited and he was fine today. I agree he contributed but context is everything. Against a tired defence with less than 10 minutes to play, fine. 

I get the impression you're arguing for the sake of it. In all honesty do you not think his wage would be better spent? You've been on about McMillan and Callachan, who will probably be on buttons compared to Swanson. 

I said in my last post I felt his wage could be better used.

All I'm saying is we just outplayed Hibs at Easter Road, scored in the final minute, with one of the youngest 11s we've maybe played in decades, and you've decided to talk about how Swanson is a waste of a wage and should be punted.

38 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

The problem with Danny Swanson is that he's the type of footballer who desperately needs to be playing regularly to maintain his fitness and performance levels. He has started this season well enough after a full pre-season, but I can see his form and fitness quickly dropping off if he's sitting on the bench every week (which he probably will be, let's be honest). At the wages he'll be on, is it worth it?

All this pish about Swanson’s fitness is utter drivel. He is in the best shape of his life.

I take your point about playing regularly for confidence but he is fit as a fiddle.

He produced 3/4 quality deliveries passes in the short time he was on the pitch today.

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

And if we continue to lose 2 goals a game. how long do we persevere with them?  Having to score 3 goals a game to win a game will get us relegated.

That’s the beauty of it, there are enough pisher teams than us that it’s pretty much risk free.

Try and it fails, we finish 8th. Try it and it’s a success, we have 3 very good footballers and 3 very valuable assets for next season.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I said in my last post I felt his wage could be better used.

All I'm saying is we just outplayed Hibs at Easter Road, scored in the final minute, with one of the youngest 11s we've maybe played in decades, and you've decided to talk about how Swanson is a waste of a wage and should be punted.

Yes that's right mate, it's the only thing I ever post about. :roll:

Maybe scroll up .. I didn't actually bring him up on the thread and had no intention of doing so. I was replying.

You've just made me go and check my post on P&B about the match to see if I even mentioned him, because you made me paranoid I have a ****ing complex about Danny Swanson. (I didn't). 

And we agree, his wages would be better spent. Are you normally so contrarian with people you agree with? This is proper 'start a fight in an empty room' stuff. 

6 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

All this pish about Swanson’s fitness is utter drivel. He is in the best shape of his life.

I take your point about playing regularly for confidence but he is fit as a fiddle.

He produced 3/4 quality deliveries passes in the short time he was on the pitch today.

I'd be surprised if he's genuinely in the best shape of his life, but he certainly looks fine at the moment. But a lack of playing time can affect anyone, even younger players at peak fitness. At his age, I just feel like he needs to be playing regularly in order to maintain the improved performances he has been putting in recently. I never criticised his contribution today. I think he's a valuable member of the squad. But hypothetically, if we were looking at potential departures in order to stand any chance of freeing up funds for a decent incoming striker, he's obviously someone who springs to mind.

Oh and for the record I am bouncing about the performance today. I disagreed with folk after the Livi comeback that we 'got lucky' in the second half, and I think today showed that to be the case (a bit). 

It's going to be a rollercoaster season if the early form is anything to go by and we need to up the quality to stay safe. Not by much, but 2/3 proper players.

I'm already thinking that if there's not a big points spread between the bottom 8 come Christmas then clubs might dust of the cheque book / overdraft in January, so clubs that won't or can't do that will need a solid run before then.  

League games Kerr& Gordon most of leagues game last season were Shaughnessy & Kerr

August 2019    Hibs                 Away    Goals against 2    Draw (1 point)

May      2019    Hamilton        Away     Goals against 2    Loss (0 points)

May      2019    Motherwell    Home     Goals against 0    Win  (3 points)

May      2019    Livingston      Home    Goals against 1     Draw (1 point)

April     2019    St Mirren        Away     Goals against 1    Draw (1 point)

April     2019    Kilmarnock    Away     Goals against 2    Loss   (0 points)

I searched all of 2019 League games and these were the only occasions Kerr & Gordon played together. They have yet to play against Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen or Hearts

Played  Won  Draw Loss Goals Against Points

6          1        3       2               8                 6

Guest ScottMann
6 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

How is that Shankland lad getting on. Still not that bothered that we didn’t offer him what we offered May?

Good point well made. He's scored as many Premiership goals as Chris Kane and Zander Clark this season seeing as you ask.

15 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

Good point well made. He's scored as many Premiership goals as Chris Kane and Zander Clark this season seeing as you ask.

Scott I think it was interesting that many wrote Shankkand off after failing with Aberdeen in the top league. Yet I wonder if he’s developed a bit later. Maybe he’s having a great run, and one so long that it isn’t a fluke. There’s no doubt he can score, and is. As you say, not v top league clubs yet. That’s the thing, no one has any evidence that he’s be so prolific now a league higher. Nor do we know if he wouldn’t be. I understand our fans’ frustrations and comments due to a lack of a striker.

Guest ScottMann
21 minutes ago, andrew said:

Scott I think it was interesting that many wrote Shankkand off after failing with Aberdeen in the top league. Yet I wonder if he’s developed a bit later. Maybe he’s having a great run, and one so long that it isn’t a fluke. There’s no doubt he can score, and is. As you say, not v top league clubs yet. That’s the thing, no one has any evidence that he’s be so prolific now a league higher. Nor do we know if he wouldn’t be. I understand our fans’ frustrations and comments due to a lack of a striker.

Be frustrated if he'd joined Ross County and was rattling them in. He hasn't though. He's still in the league below as nobody better signed him.It's utterly pointless making comparisons like this but there are so many of them being bandied around everywhere at the moment it's ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

Be frustrated if he'd joined Ross County and was rattling them in. He hasn't though. He's still in the league below as nobody better signed him.It's utterly pointless making comparisons like this but there are so many of them being bandied around everywhere at the moment it's ridiculous. 

Yes, I think we’re in agreement. What if this, what if that? We’ll never know. If May, or anybody else, signs I’ll support him and hope he does well. If he doesn’t sign, fine. But only if he signs and plays will we know if it’s a good thing or not. Endless opinions and conjecture don’t bother me, but there are many interested enough to engage in it. I want to watch games. We’ve had too many gaps and soon we’re having another of those pointless international breaks.