Player contracts and transfers

David123

FFS here we go again all the hallmarks of another saga played out in the press. Is there no internal communication between the off field management and the on field management at this club it's absolutely pathetic we have to go through this shit pretty much everytime we want to extend the contract of someone we do want to keep and can't offload some of those we don't want to keep. It just gets so boring and predictable 

It’s is getting a bit embarrassing. I’m not seeing any other managers running to the press about stuff like this. Keep it in house. 

I know what’s happening here. We’ve obviously made an offer that doesn’t meet the agent’s demands, so this is Tommy trying to pressure the club. 

Agree it’s very important to push the boat out for Drey though, he’s a cracking player.

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

St Johnstone's Drey Wright, who is out of contract this summer, has been urged by Tommy Wright to sign a new deal as the Perth boss strives to prevent the exit of another winger following Matty Kennedy's move to Aberdeen. (Sun)

Reads as if Tommy has offered a new contract but the agent is telling him to hold off as he is trying for better elsewhere. In our favour Drey has been below average since his return. 

Are we going to offer him a 2 year contract in the hope that he returns to his best. Sounds familiar May, Swanson, O'Halloran. I would not be in too big a hurry to offer him an improved contract.

Doesn’t May deserve to come off that list now? Not arguing with you, just wondered what folk think.

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

It’s is getting a bit embarrassing. I’m not seeing any other managers running to the press about stuff like this. Keep it in house. 

I know what’s happening here. We’ve obviously made an offer that doesn’t meet the agent’s demands, so this is Tommy trying to pressure the club. 

Agree it’s very important to push the boat out for Drey though, he’s a cracking player.

Yeah,could be counter productive in highlighting Motherwell etc that there is a player available.

32 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Bit sick of overseas fans having big views on players they see every 4 weeks on Saints TV. **** up you fannies, we watch him every week and he's e very decent player.

A very eloquent reply. 
If I am not mistaken this form is for all to submit their opinions which includes those who live outside the UK. You may agree or not agree with them and that is your prerogative.
Saints TV when working transmits every SPFL home game and apart from 3 away grounds every away game, therefore as for “seeing them every 4 weeks” you are mistaken unless your arithmetic is on par with your vocabulary.
Normally I would let this kind of comment pass but had to let you know as an overseas TV supporter I will continue to give my opinion on all aspects of our football club.

31 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

A very eloquent reply. 
If I am not mistaken this form is for all to submit their opinions which includes those who live outside the UK. You may agree or not agree with them and that is your prerogative.
Saints TV when working transmits every SPFL home game and apart from 3 away grounds every away game, therefore as for “seeing them every 4 weeks” you are mistaken unless your arithmetic is on par with your vocabulary.
Normally I would let this kind of comment pass but had to let you know as an overseas TV supporter I will continue to give my opinion on all aspects of our football club.

M8 if you're going to pull someone up about use of vocabulary make sure you get yours perfect. 

On to my other point, if you can tell how good Drey runs off the ball, tracks back etc when play is on the other side, while sitting half the way across the planet, watching on tv. Well that tells me all I need to know about how you read a game of football.

Edited by andy rhodes fancy watch

55 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

M8 if you're going to pull someone up about use of vocabulary make sure you get yours perfect. 

On to my other point, if you can tell how good Drey runs off the ball, tracks back etc when play is on the other side, while sitting half the way across the planet, watching on tv. Well that tells me all I need to know about how you read a game of football.

I agree mostly. Watching on tv is like watching through a periscope. You’re getting a tiny window into what’s happening in the game at any one time. 

saying that, some seats in the ground are just as bad! Sitting low behind the goal is no better! 

I think the biggest difference between the football mortals play and the top level becomes apparent much more when you watch players off the ball. I sometimes do this during boring games. Basically they run up and down, up and down, religiously keeping the shape, never getting near the ball. It must take incredible fitness, discipline and concentration. And of course, one lapse of concentration, being out of shape for a split second, and a team like Celtic will see it, exploit it, and be in on goal. It must take a hell of a lot to coach youngsters, who all want to be centre forward and all instinctively rush to wherever the ball is, that the road to success lies largely in actually keeping away from the ball - but you better be paying attention and be brilliant that one moment when you get it. 

16 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Ah great...."Bristol Rovers are interested in signing St Johnstone winger Drey Wright when his contract runs out this summer."

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1155725/drey-wright-bristol-rovers-st-johnstone-transfer-news/

Drey Wright - 1,168 minutes - 0 goals/0 assists

Danny Swanson - 245 minutes - 0 goals/1 assist

David Wotherspoon - 1,125 minutes - 3 goals/0 assists

Michael O'Halloran - 1,286 minutes - 2 goals/1 assist

No comment.

1 minute ago, Tranmere Saintee said:

This ‘assist’ stat must be one of the most useless stats ever dreamt up. Every player on the park assists in every goal scored and every goal conceded either directly or indirectly.

I think it was actually dreamed- up to be able to have a clear winner of the World Cup top scorer thing. A couple of WC had multiple players tied with 3 goals each or something, and they brought this in. It’s fair enough as a tie-breaker, but it’s meaningless as an indicator of quality because the world’s greatest assist counts for nothing if the spotty reserve centre forward trips over the ball 3 yards out from goal. 

21 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I think it was actually dreamed- up to be able to have a clear winner of the World Cup top scorer thing. A couple of WC had multiple players tied with 3 goals each or something, and they brought this in. It’s fair enough as a tie-breaker, but it’s meaningless as an indicator of quality because the world’s greatest assist counts for nothing if the spotty reserve centre forward trips over the ball 3 yards out from goal. 

It's not an assist then.

It's a "chance created".

Exactly. You could play brilliantly, create 25 sublime chances which some numpty misses, and get no credit. Then the ball accidentally bounces off the 17 year old triallist into the path of the CF, who scores, and the triallist gets a stat. 

What if you consistently assist the assists, eg a brilliant playmaker playing it accurately long & wide, getting no credit, the point Tranmere is making?

All footy stats are fun. Some are more meaningful than others.

Drey signs it's great,if not team has always found a way to work through it, when Matty left been better team performances,not bothered either way,nice article on BBC sport from booth saying how settled he is now that's a guy who has made a big difference says he's been brought in.

55 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Exactly. You could play brilliantly, create 25 sublime chances which some numpty misses, and get no credit. Then the ball accidentally bounces off the 17 year old triallist into the path of the CF, who scores, and the triallist gets a stat. 

What if you consistently assist the assists, eg a brilliant playmaker playing it accurately long & wide, getting no credit, the point Tranmere is making?

All footy stats are fun. Some are more meaningful than others.

Sort of like this: