Saints v Kilmarnock 31 August 2019

Jimmy Wallace

Just the usual, plenty of the ball, create zero chances, concede stupid goal.

Killie spent the match camped around their box time wasting, we spent it passing around the box.

Feel bad picking him but Kane was brutal, at least twice 1v1 with the final defender and doesnt even try taking him on and loses the ball, then another two times could send a winger free down a wing, but again, turns back and loses it. Yet again, doesnt even threaten a shot.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy said:

Feel bad picking him but Kane was brutal, at least twice 1v1 with the final defender and doesnt even try taking him on and loses the ball, then another two times could send a winger free down a wing, but again, turns back and loses it. Yet again, doesnt even threaten a shot.

Watched on saints tv. Danny Griffin (I think Co commenting) was going mental at him continually turning back into trouble

4 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Watched on saints tv. Danny Griffin (I think Co commenting) was going mental at him continually turning back into trouble

It's just awful. I cant remember being as angry at a game for a while as I have been with him today, 12 months of him being absolutely shite, we finally sign a striker for first choice, yet still get punished into watching over an hour of Kane on his own.

I'd genuinely have him as 3rd choice at this stage, no idea why Hendry got ignored today.

That was terrible defending that cost us again and I cannot think of a clear cut chance on goal other than the one that was offside.

Why do we to take 3 and 4 touches before we pass the ball it slows us down.

Wright at right back? It may be genius but can he defend?

I thought McCann struggled today against a mediocre midfield and he will be found out in next 2 games.

Two draws and we thought we had turned the corner, I fear not.

That is us bottom of the league and the way we defend, we could be there for a while. Aberdeen and Rangers next. With our performances so far we will get nothing from either game. It is going to be a long season.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but that is how I see it.

Edited by Johnny B

8 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

That was terrible defending that cost us again and I cannot think of a clear cut chance on goal other than the one that was offside.

Why do we to take 3 and 4 touches before we pass the ball it slows us down.

Wright at right back? It may be genius but can he defend?

I thought McCann struggled today against a mediocre midfield and he will be found out in next 2 games.

Two draws and we thought we had turned the corner, I fear not.

That is us bottom of the league and the way we defend, we could be there for a while. Aberdeen and Rangers next. With our performances so far we will get nothing from either game. It is going to be a long season.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but that is how I see it.

Tough start aside looking at the fixtures its hard to see where a run of results come

Bit disapointing. Killie didnt have to try too hard today, they just had plenty men behind the ball and succeeded catching us on the break. We had no success playing Kane on his own and took too long to change this. Whenever he had the ball we didnt have anyone near him to help so he was easily disposessed.  

5 minutes ago, Tom Leykis said:

Kane was brutal as a lone front man, but was fine when playing with May. 

Nah, he seems to get a bizarre amount of slack because of how "isolated" he apparently is. MOH, Swanson, Kennedy and May all tried to play one two passes with him today to create chances, and every time he completely ended the attack by losing the ball.

Hes a striker who cant win headers, cant pass the ball, can't beat defenders, cant link with the midfield, cant link with other attackers, cant create chances for himself and cant create chances for others. He can run about chasing folk though.

Club obviously dont want supporters. There was a family of 5 of us today. 2 adults and 2 kids so we got 2 family tickets in Ormond stand yet our father who is a pensioner had to pay £17 to sit with us, he was told he could only get in for pensioner price if he sat in East stand. He'll probably not come with us very often now.

Edited by Rob

Another brutal game. We'll not win any game this season where Kane is the lone striker. He does put a load of effort in but with no support he just can take advantage of anything that end of the pitch.

Shocking goal to give away but defence looked pretty comfortable most of the game. Need to see highlights but impression from behind the goal was Zander hesitated when he should have cleaned everyone out to get the ball before the decisive strike. The fact he never roared at everyone makes me think he is disappointed with himself.

Our main issues continue to be in the centre of midfield which gives little protection for the defence and seems unable to pick out a pass for our forwards.

Big positive was seen Wright back on the pitch. He is a level above our squad in terms of attitude and ability. Be happy to see him on the right with one of MOH/Kennedy in beside May and the other on the left.

Monday is going to be a big day, really missed Foster today, Duffy not yet at this level yet but showed ablot of promise.

Ref was poor but not why we lost.

Man that was grim. Never looked like scoring. 

Apart from Tanser, each of the defenders had their 'moments' and the goal summed up the defending so far this season. Bring back Callum to at least get them defending as a unit and making us a little more difficult to beat.

Duffy might become a player, but he is a long way off based on that performance....looked very uncomfortable most of the game.

Passes too short & too long,poor ball control& losing a goal due to shambolic defending along with getting rid of the ball rather than bringing it down & playing a pass. I wonder what they practice at training ?. Probably a bit of jogging as they don't seem to practice corners & set pieces or passing.

Craig's best spell with us over the past season was as holding midfielder but don't think he has played there this season. He looked like he was playing more as a number 10 today but contributed 0.

Kennedy didn't look interested or maybe just outplayed by O'Donnell so why not put Danny on earlier ?.

Mikey just gets his head down & dribble through brick walls when there are openings to gat a cross in.

Sub's made a difference but too late to change game.

Actually enjoyed that today on the most part and we’ll play much worse and win. 

Got caught short a couple of times with silly defensive errors, and i’d like to see the midfield getting higher up the park when we go forward, but I think we deserved something today and were unlucky on the whole.

not sure on duffy, hopefully we bring in another RB this week as he had so many chances to be on the end of through balls by breaking past the full back and instead just held back, leaving Mikey with little option on that side. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

Kilmarnock set a pretty tough examination paper. They are very well organised and defensively astute. Had two men on Kennedy and MOH who were unable to provide effective crooks balls. Only after Wright came on did we show any ability to create anything. We can moan all we like about Kane but would Hendry and 90 minutes of May have done anything with the scraps provided - I doubt it. The only real pressure on the defence today came from themselves. Kerr needs to be told not to charge forward like a headless chicken ( he should never have been given the captaincy) and Duffy has promise but is not ready. The conundrum is where Wright should play. Is it either him or MOH or would he be better playing wing back and we go with a back three. If the former what do where does that leave MOH. My gut feeling is we really need an experienced right back and Wright goes ahead of MOH in the pecking order.

MoH and Kennedy had two men on them and hence they nullified our threat - no plan B. A more direct approach isn't realistic as there is no height in out attack and although McCann has promise for me he shows little authority nor vision to make telling through balls.

I think the squad is very unbalanced and hope that this will be rectified to a degree in the coming days. For me an experieced right back and a Jody Morris type midfielder are essential. 

As things stand I reckon this is another season where the majority of our points will come away from home unless TW can adjust personnel, tactics and mindset.