Aberdeen v St Johnstone 14/08/19

tucker

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Play like that all season and we'll be talking about the top half, completely dominated the second half.

Holt is a tremendous player.

Ralston looks an upgrade on Duffy, but not as good as Foster yet. Holt the best midfielder we've had since Millar, maybe even better going forward aswell. May struggled to get involved much but there was a clear drop in the ball sticking up front when he was replaced by Hendry, who couldn't hold the ball up at all.

Even Willie Miller said we dominated second half.

Seems to have been the case that we have been the best team in the second half of most games we played. We have usually been poor in first half. Tommy has to get it sorted.

Anyway I thought we would get a result today :P.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Pish, even Man City dont do it all the time. 

Even Wilie Miller is saying Saints outplayed Aberdeen, and played good football. Yet here you are, saying its shite.

Never said anything about doing it all the time. Obviously in the course of a game you have to go long. Its just seems to the first instinct to punt. It will be as much fear of losing the ball & thinking the ball is better at the other end of the park.

4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Never said anything about doing it all the time. Obviously in the course of a game you have to go long. Its just seems to the first instinct to punt. It will be as much fear of losing the ball & thinking the ball is better at the other end of the park.

Did you actually watch the second half?

There were multiple occasions of us playing out from the back, even under pressure. I've genuinely no idea why you've decided to ignore that to claim we're constantly hoofing it.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Did you actually watch the second half?

There were multiple occasions of us playing out from the back, even under pressure. I've genuinely no idea why you've decided to ignore that to claim we're constantly hoofing it.

I was responding to Robs observations in first half & my impression of what in general we have seen the past few seasons.

7 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I was responding to Robs observations in first half & my impression of what in general we have seen the past few seasons.

Correct, no one was commenting on 2nd half performance. Although Saints played okay in the first half, there was quite a few long punts to our wee players.

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Pish, even Man City dont do it all the time. 

Even Wilie Miller is saying Saints outplayed Aberdeen, and played good football. Yet here you are, saying its shite.

Just watching Man City high press Norwich who are playing the ball out of defence & scoring 2 goals.

When the referee restarted the game after reversing his own "mistake" at the penalty award I can't understand why Aberdeen were awarded an uncontested drop ball. Saints were attacking when the ref screwed  things up. Surely we are at least entitled to contest the drop ball.

Can anyone explain this decision for me?

Edited by Oldmuirton

31 minutes ago, Oldmuirton said:

When the referee restarted the game after reversing his own "mistake" at the penalty award I can't understand why Aberdeen were awarded an uncontested drop ball. Saints were attacking when the ref screwed  things up. Surely we are at least entitled to contest the drop ball.

Can anyone explain this decision for me?

Isn't it a new rule that drop balls are no longer contested.?

18 minutes ago, Dutch Saint said:

Isn't it a new rule that drop balls are no longer contested.?

Yes. They are now awarded, uncontested, to the team whose player last touched the ball before the stoppage, unless it’s in the penalty area, when it is always awarded to the defending goalie. All other players have to be 4 metres away. The ball is in play when it touches the ground.

A good display today, liked Holt and Ralston, although Ralston was a bit shaky at the start he did work into the game. 

May looked sharp as did MOH.

Overall a lot of positives to take out of today, a wee result next week please,  

Cagey didn't read all of the randowmguy/Cagey spat but from what I did see. First half we were playing the long ball and were wasting  it more than anything else. Second half we started to keep the ball on the deck and got it moving about. 

Can only hope that the new Aberdeen stadium will have  a better view for visiting fans that Pittodrie, not helped by 3 saints fans that were determined to impersonate a brick wall for most of the second half instead of sitting on their bahookies. Thanks guys for sitting when asked though.