St Johnstone v Rangers 22/9/19 (12.15 KO)

Dave Ferg

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

An ex-Hearts player died this week aswell. Why ignore him?

Ricksen was nobody, and Rangers had already had a minutes silence for him. It's just pandering to them.

Random you are making a fool of yourself with your lack of respect and are sounding like one of their moronic fans. 

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

An ex-Hearts player died this week aswell. Why ignore him?

Ricksen was nobody, and Rangers had already had a minutes silence for him. It's just pandering to them.

C'mon mate, there are three words you need to remove from that post. Regardless of all our opinions on the minute silence, to call the guy nobody is a serious lack of respect.

Guest ScottMann
27 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Random you are making a fool of yourself with your lack of respect and are sounding like one of their moronic fans. 

No, he's not, for once. Respect is another totally devalued word just bandied around. Respect is earned, not an automatic right. The guy did nothing outside of the Rangers world. They paid tribute. Saints tweeted their condolences after the news came out. Nothing else was needed. I'd be amazed if Dutch football had tributes before every game since his death. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Club set the tone when they agreed to have a minutes silence for a player who means literally nothing to us, days after Rangers had their own memorial to him at Ibrox.

Rangers fans seemed to be allowed to pay into home end and then get taken to the away stand aswell, somehow, as at least four people got taken from the Main to the Ormond early on.

I wish we'd grow a set of ****ing balls, but the whole country is just here to pander to them, so here we are.

I may not be the best person to reply to your post but here goes.

My wife was diagnosed with MND in July therefore I can appreciate anyone who has been affected by this disease will have strong feelings and compassion for anyone who has been affected by MND in any way. When Fernando was playing for Rangers I thought he was a typical mostly overrated obnoxious individual in much like present day Scott Brown at Celtic. We as football fans should be able to support anyone (or their surviving families) when they are hit with a tragedy such as has happened to Fernando Ricksenns family recently.

I would have liked to think that we as Saints fans could have been above such petty behaviour such as your post or the few Celtic fans who posted “ one less *** “ comments or Rangers fan who thought it wise to taunt the aforementioned Scott Brown about his late sister.  

I 100% back the club for allowing this tribute to FR and can also say it had absolutely nothing at all to do with our defeat today.

As I said my personal situation may well be clouding my views but I can see beyond my hatred of all things “old firm” in a situation like this and was happy to support the clubs decision.

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

2 hours ago, cristo said:

C'mon mate, there are three words you need to remove from that post. Regardless of all our opinions on the minute silence, to call the guy nobody is a serious lack of respect.

34 minutes ago, ejksjfc said:

My wife was diagnosed with MND in July therefore I can appreciate anyone who has been affected by this disease will have strong feelings and compassion for anyone who has been affected by MND in any way. When Fernando was playing for Rangers I thought he was a typical mostly overrated obnoxious individual in much like present day Scott Brown at Celtic. We as football fans should be able to support anyone (or their surviving families) when they are hit with a tragedy such as has happened to Fernando Ricksenns family recently.

I would have liked to think that we as Saints fans could have been above such petty behaviour such as your post or the few Celtic fans who posted “ one less *** “ comments or Rangers fan who thought it wise to taunt the aforementioned Scott Brown about his late sister.  

I 100% back the club for allowing this tribute to FR and can also say it had absolutely nothing at all to do with our defeat today.

As I said my personal situation may well be clouding my views but I can see beyond my hatred of all things “old firm” in a situation like this and was happy to support the clubs decision.

Ricksen has nothing, nothing, to do with St Johnstone or Scottish football. He played for Rangers for about six years, two decades ago.

Rangers had a memorial and minutes silence for the player at Ibrox last week, and have had numerous fan based events since.

Theres absolutely no need for the whole country to be forced to have minutes silences for him after theyve already had their own grieving process. Theres been hundreds of former players who've died over the past five years who only get acknowledged by their own clubs, the first game after the death, and then forgotten about. 

Jimmy Calderwood has dementia. If he dies from that on a Tuesday, and Aberdeen have a minutes silence on the Wednesday, are you expecting Saints v Kilmarnock, or Rangers v Livingston, to hold a minutes silence for him on the Sunday after?

Ricksens young death is clearly a tragedy, but let's not pretend that the silences today around the country wouldve been replicated if he was a St Mirren player.

Edited by RandomGuy

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Ricksen has nothing, nothing, to do with St Johnstone or Scottish football. He played for Rangers for about six years, two decades ago.

Rangers had a memorial and minutes silence for the player at Ibrox last week, and have had numerous fan based events since.

Theres absolutely no need for the whole country to be forced to have minutes silences for him after theyve already had their own grieving process. Theres been hundreds of former players who've died over the past five years who only get acknowledged by their own clubs, the first game after the death, and then forgotten about. 

Jimmy Calderwood has dementia. If he dies from that on a Tuesday, and Aberdeen have a minutes silence on the Wednesday, are you expecting Saints v Kilmarnock, or Rangers v Livingston, to hold a minutes silence for him on the Sunday after?

Ricksens young death is clearly a tragedy, but let's not pretend that the silences today around the country wouldve been replicated if he was a St Mirren player.

Random the guy was a former Scotland player of the year. 

He has helped raise a lot of money for MND and has highlighted the disease. 

Former Saints players have died in the past and other clubs have shown respect by taking part in a minutes silence. Is one minuite of your day a lot to ask for?? I think not. 

Genuinely surprised anyone can find a reason not to pay respects to someone who has succumbed to such a nasty disease.  I understand what you are trying to say Random, but afraid I can’t agree, especially, as Soulful stated on radio yesterday, given one of our own legends (Don McVicar) also suffered horribly from MND.

8 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Random the guy was a former Scotland player of the year. 

He has helped raise a lot of money for MND and has highlighted the disease. 

Former Saints players have died in the past and other clubs have shown respect by taking part in a minutes silence. Is one minuite of your day a lot to ask for?? I think not. 

He won that award 15 years ago. Stuff hes done off the pitch is fine, and if you want to pay your respects then do that, but it has no place being forced upon football fans to join in, when he had nothing to do with their club. I felt the same when we all got forced to have a silence for Nelson Mandela, who would never have known we even existed.

Other clubs will have shown their respects at McDiarmid, in the first game after, which is my point. If a ex-Saints player passes before the next game, we have a minutes silence against Motherwell. Will it be repeated around every ground in the Country? That weekend, and then the next? Whats the difference?

Rangers had already had a silence for him at Ibrox.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Wallace said:

Genuinely surprised anyone can find a reason not to pay respects to someone who has succumbed to such a nasty disease.  I understand what you are trying to say Random, but afraid I can’t agree, especially, as Soulful stated on radio yesterday, given one of our own legends (Don McVicar) also suffered horribly from MND.

Did every game in the Country have a minutes silence for McVicar? Even after we'd had our own?

Edited by RandomGuy

1 hour ago, ejksjfc said:

Best wishes to you and your wife. That’s terrible news. 

Random, just for once, shut the feck up, eh?

1 hour ago, ScottMann said:

Scottish football in a nutshell. Turn up, pay up and shut up. The Old Firm control must not be questioned. 

I dont see this as Old Firm control. If Saints or any other club outside the Old Firm asked the SPFL to have a minutes silence for something and the chiefs or particular clubs declined I can see the issue but this is not the case. The club was obviously asked and it was the respectful thing to do to observe their wishes. I agree they seem to have a lot more of these than ever before but to me its not an issue and has no effect on the game.

11 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Random, just for once, shut the feck up, eh?

Why?

I'm questioning why a Rangers player, who done nothing for Scottish football outwith what he done for them, is being forcibly commemorated throughout the country a week after his death, and after his own club have held their own service.

It simply wouldnt happen to any other clubs player other than one of the Old Firms. You meekly accept your place if you wish, as its folk like that who helped Rangers bribe their way back into the league. Their was a chance to change years ago, and everyone shat out it, and here we are, back at the stage of having to bow down whenever Rangers demand something. It's frustrating.

39 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I have no problem with minutes silence. I would be surprised we didn't observe it but any Saints fans that clapped on 2 minutes should be ashamed.

Now can we close this subject & discuss what this thread is for.

Ashamed, or caught up in the Rangers fans chit chat.    Totally agree with you, I was never clapping on the 2 minute mark.   Should have had a minutes applause at the start, its like it was scripted for the live Tv..   let rangers fans do their thing, Saints fans clapping just showing more respect, don't get it myself.

8 hours ago, Johnny B said:

First goal, why was the ball not fired into the box no need to take a short free kick Why was Morelos left 1v1 against Tanser? Defensivly naive again.

Second goal Free header.

Third and Fourth our central defenders standing too far off Defoe

May was isolated again but that was due to Tommy giving Kennedy and MOH man marking duties.

MOH should have burst the net with his chance.

Again this reinforces our defensive frailties played 6 conceded 17 (11 to the old firm in two games)

But I am not too despondent, I think we will come good against the bottom teams and Holt will make a big difference.

The problem is we have lots of attacking players but restricts them to marking the opponent rather than making the opponent worry about them. Tommy thinks if he signs forwards we will be happy but he wants them to be defenders.

There are times all attacking players will have to defend but not if we keep them in their half & don't keep giving the ball away.

8 hours ago, Cagey said:

The problem is we have lots of attacking players but restricts them to marking the opponent rather than making the opponent worry about them. Tommy thinks if he signs forwards we will be happy but he wants them to be defenders.

There are times all attacking players will have to defend but not if we keep them in their half & don't keep giving the ball away.

If you are playing against a quality side who like rangers were playing a 4-2-3-1 formation with the full backs pushing on then you can either give them total control or ask your wide midfielders to pick up the runners. 

We tried your option last season against Celtic and got 6 pumped past us. 

The first half showed that it was possible to play the style Tommy wanted whilst still being an attacking force. In the second half Rangers upped their game and started playing 10 to 20 yards further up the park which in turn resulted in MOH etc having to pick up men. 

Amazed how many times yesterday Morellos was picking the ball up in the Saints half and the midfield were running ahead of them.