St Johnstone v Motherwell 28/09/19

tucker

38 minutes ago, john.w said:

Tommy says its not his formation thats the problem its mistakes being made. On BBC today Scottish Gossip

From what I've seen it's a bit of both. Mistakes at the back may be the cause of conceding goals, but at the other end of the par the tactics/formation just don't seem to be working. With May/Kennedy/MOH/Wright all to call upon we should have one of the most formidable forward lines in the league, but things just don't seem to be flowing and May seems incredibly isolated. I don't think it's any coincidence that the most prolific spell of May's career came when he had Macca next to him. Who's playing the Macca role now?

3 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

From what I've seen it's a bit of both. Mistakes at the back may be the cause of conceding goals, but at the other end of the par the tactics/formation just don't seem to be working. With May/Kennedy/MOH/Wright all to call upon we should have one of the most formidable forward lines in the league, but things just don't seem to be flowing and May seems incredibly isolated. I don't think it's any coincidence that the most prolific spell of May's career came when he had Macca next to him. Who's playing the Macca role now?

May is playing Macca's role but he is not cut out for it. We don't have anyone on the books to play the role & that is why May will be no more effective than Kane if Tommy thinks he doesn't need to change tactics.

36 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

With May/Kennedy/MOH/Wright all to call upon we should have one of the most formidable forward lines in the league,

Tommy has them man marking hence MOH (played on the left) and Kennedy has hardly crossed the half way line in the past 2 games. I kind of get MOH man marking Tavernier (although, he should be marking MOH) but not against Motherwell at home!!!!

O’Halloran wasn’t man marking against Morherwell. At times he was basically standing parallel to May, forcing Grimshaw to stay back and mark him. When Grimshaw did go forward, often O’Halloran was playing catch up, which his pace allows him to do. From where I was sitting he was being told to play higher up. No point in telling Drey Wright to specifically do that, cause he’s so good at going back to front in an instance. The number of times he ended up covering for Ralston who had got caught was past counting on one hand. 

20 hours ago, Cagey said:

Yeah,everything is stale & teams know exactly how we play.

We play the game at walking pace & don't press. Back off to our own half until we lose a goal.

We should not be afraid of 10 of the teams in this league.

We should impose our game on them from the start.

Agree with this especially the bit about teams knowing how we play so how about this. So far every corner that Saints have defended we, without doubt, pull everyone back into the box & leave 1 up top committing two opposition defenders to sit back & avoid a potential 1v1. On Saturday it was May that was left to chase down any potential clearance. How about for a change we leave two up top & even drag someone to sit just outside the box. No doubt it carries risks but how would teams react knowing that MOH & Kennedy, both with pace to burn & are able to finish, are sitting on the halfway line with someone like Holt sitting just outside the box looking to release them if the chance arises. As I say it’s not without risk but I’d love to see how the opposition react.  Do they gamble & hope or would they be required to drop four back to cover. Would it give Zander more room to come and command his box. If he takes the corner well then we’d be able to transfer defence to attack more rapidly. Sadly it’ll probably never happen & week in week out we’ll have to suffer the same “let’s set up & play not to lose the game” rather than applying a “let’s go win this” mentality 

Ralston was definitely a weak link on Saturday. McCann was the best player on the pitch. We’re not getting the best out of May, the way we are planning at the moment. I think he needs wingers to cut inside more and he needs someone to link up with too. I’d prefer to see MOH playing slightly behind him and drop Muzz in games we are setting ourselves up to win.

39 minutes ago, Linky said:

Ralston was definitely a weak link on Saturday. McCann was the best player on the pitch. We’re not getting the best out of May, the way we are planning at the moment. I think he needs wingers to cut inside more and he needs someone to link up with too. I’d prefer to see MOH playing slightly behind him and drop Muzz in games we are setting ourselves up to win.

Thought Ralston played ok. Holt looks a good player as well. Only strange bit of play was when he opted to let the ball go out for a corner rather than getting the ball into the box. It wasnt as though we were doing well from set plays.

13 hours ago, Rob said:

Thought Ralston played ok. Holt looks a good player as well. Only strange bit of play was when he opted to let the ball go out for a corner rather than getting the ball into the box. It wasnt as though we were doing well from set plays.

Tbf it was a sensible move. You've, usually, got more chance of scoring from a corner than open play from a ball in, hes probably not yet aware how poor we are at set pieces yet.

Far prefer that to our constant need to take every set piece quickly, and usually short.

I always think we take an age to take set-pieces, that’s part of the problem - no urgency. The difference with the Aberdeen game is the speed of our movement, looking to take free-kicks quickly and run in the gaps. Last Saturday we wait until everyone is in place and lump it to nowhere in particular.

18 hours ago, Linky said:

Very unfair on Ralston.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Tbf it was a sensible move. You've, usually, got more chance of scoring from a corner than open play from a ball in, hes probably not yet aware how poor we are at set pieces yet.

Far prefer that to our constant need to take every set piece quickly, and usually short.

The most recent stats I heard was one in nineteen corners lead directly to a goal. Was a few years ago admitedlly, but I can't agree with you there Random.