St Johnstone v Hearts 30/10/19

tucker

42 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Reading that out goal was awarded as an own goal credited to Berra. I thought Kerr scored it but it deflected off of Berrra however SPFL in their wisdom gave it to the Hearts player. Never mind a win is a win even if is with an own goal.

It would have had to be going on target for Kerr to get it.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I think they key to Kane is knowing when to use him.

Defending a lead and needing a striker to come on, hold the ball up and harry defenders, and hes our best striker at it. If we're chasing a goal I'd be happier to see Hendry come on.

May remains our best striker though, him not winning headers against the likes of Berra doesnt change that.

I don’t think it’s the fact that May was losing out on 50/50 headers with Berra or anyone else for that matter, more the fact that he doesn’t get close to challenging the player, never mind getting close to challenging for the ball.

He often runs towards the ball, jumps and it sails over his head, surely if a ball is going over your head, i.e. it’s too high, you want to be running away from it to catch it on its way down.

The number if times on Wednesday that when balls were played forward, May ran away from Berra towards the half way line to head the ball, it flew over his head, leaving Berra with a totally free header, able to take a touch and bring it down or able to just let it run through to the keeper.

I think what Cagey is pointing out is that he just jumps bereft of purpose. Either challenge the defender directly or run in behind the defender hoping that he misses it - just jumping at fresh air in front of him might put him off the first time, maybe even the second time, but 20 mins into the game, the centre back can be pretty sure that they can win headers unchallenged.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

20 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I don’t think it’s the fact that May was losing out on 50/50 headers with Berra or anyone else for that matter, more the fact that he doesn’t get close to challenging the player, never mind getting close to challenging for the ball.

He often runs towards the ball, jumps and it sails over his head, surely if a ball is going over your head, i.e. it’s too high, you want to be running away from it to catch it on its way down.

The number if times on Wednesday that when balls were played forward, May ran away from Berra towards the half way line to head the ball, it flew over his head, leaving Berra with a totally free header, able to take a touch and bring it down or able to just let it run through to the keeper.

I think what Cagey is pointing out is that he just jumps bereft of purpose. Either challenge the defender directly or run in behind the defender hoping that he misses it - just jumping at fresh air in front of him might put him off the first time, maybe even the second time, but 20 mins into the game, the centre back can be pretty sure that they can win headers unchallenged.

Maybe you should be blaming the folk shelling the balls to defenders rather than over them. 

I'm sure cagey would be moaning regardless of how May reacted to hugh balls.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Maybe you should be blaming the folk shelling the balls to defenders rather than over them. 

I'm sure cagey would be moaning regardless of how May reacted to hugh balls.

If you are looking for another moan RG,why does Zander keep kicking the ball out of the park.

On 11/2/2019 at 7:58 AM, R.B.B:- Adz said:

He did quite a few times

I think the two points are linked though. There's no point in punting it straight to May because Berra wins it every time. Instead we play the goal kick out to Spoony (v's Hickey) which was something they've obviously looked at and 2/3 times Zander's over hit and put it out. To be fair to Clark, he's probably hit his target 4 times out of 5...not bad when you consider it's a 50 yard pass played towards the touchline. The worst that could happen is that Hearts get a throw somewhere in their own half.

44 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

I think the two points are linked though. There's no point in punting it straight to May because Berra wins it every time. Instead we play the goal kick out to Spoony (v's Hickey) which was something they've obviously looked at and 2/3 times Zander's over hit and put it out. To be fair to Clark, he's probably hit his target 4 times out of 5...not bad when you consider it's a 50 yard pass played towards the touchline. The worst that could happen is that Hearts get a throw somewhere in their own half.

100% this. He was aiming for Spoony who was standing on the touch line making it an incredibly hard target to hit each time. I’d much rather be over hit it out of play in the opponents half than under hit it to start a counter in a dangerous position. 

On 10/31/2019 at 7:19 AM, mainstand said:

Have to say the ref was the poorest I have seen. 

Let hearts big striker away with 5 or 6 fouls in the first 15 minutes. The word cart horse springs to mind when describing him. 

As for Macca he is one moaning greeting faced erse. 

Great win but still a long way to go until the end of the season. 

Macca has lost it. Had to be subbed because he got booked for elbows & going in on McGregor with studs.

On wed he was using the arms all the time & put a tackle beside the east stand that should have resulted in a booking.

Sad to see a legend lose it not retiring when he should have.

Towards the end when Hearts keeper was on the ground in our box, should Zander have hit it up field for a chance at their end or better just to hold onto the ball. Obviously we got the result so from that point of view it turned out fine but was there a chance we could have just finished them off then. A lot of fans were shouting to take advantage of the situation.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:11 PM, Linky said:

I’ve said elsewhere that I think he’s a great player, and I’m sure he will get snapped up by another team soon. As I said, he has moments of brilliance, which are beyond the dreams of most non OF players. However, he is a winger, and is better suited to the left hand side than through the middle in my opinion. You’re right, he puts good deliveries into the box - but May isn’t the sort of striker that is heading in crosses, so they are wasted. May relies on passes to run on to and Kennedy doesn’t provide that.

On paper, Kennedy is the best player in the team. But, with the way we play, Wright & Wotherspoon are making more of an impact going forward,

As much as I rate him out wide, I think Kennedy is even better through the middle.  It suits his all action style to be involved more, and he can take players on on either side through the middle.  He also is fairly strong at holding the ball up, as well as spinning centre backs.

Wright and Wotherspoon have done okay the past couple of games, but as much for their defensive work as their attacking play. Spoony was obviously excellent going forward v Accies, but I thought he was poor in possession against Hearts. However, he did put a good shift in and played his part in a battling victory.  Wright was steady in both games, again not creating a lot, but playing his part at both ends of the park.

I'd say both MOH and Swanson are generally bigger attacking threats than both Spoony and Wright, but neither are as good at the defensive end. That's why Spoony and Wright have been picked when we've been struggling and conceding goals; too make us more solid and harder to beat.  And it's worked the past couple of games.

But I'm struggling to see how Spoony or Wright made more of an attacking impact against Hearts than Kennedy.