St Johnstone v Hibs 09/11/19

tucker

5 minutes ago, Blues Brother said:

It's a basic requirement to have a sound defence........We need to get off the mark quick in the January window and get 2 experienced defenders in and possibly a goalkeeper. Hope that it's not too late by then....

There was a time when I was touting Kerr & Clark for a Scotland place. At the moment I think they would both benefit from a few weeks in the stand. Their confidence is shot. A goalie should command his area & marshal  his defence.

Oddly, stumbled across Hibs fans pre match comments, '2 up front please' '2 forwards starting' 'I'm going, best pies in the league' 'trust May to pick 2 forwards'  quite a few similar thoughts.

Their front 2 bossed our defence.  Guess they've been playing 1 up front most of the season.  

Post match Hibs players saying 'we were all out attack today'

Guess Hecky, sacked, strangled their style and became too scared to play attacking football.. 

Oddly, I can relate to the Hibs supporters, our pies are braw.   Not many teams come to McD and thrash us.. guess attacking football and the desire and fight to win actually gets results.

6 hours ago, Dave H said:

Oddly, stumbled across Hibs fans pre match comments, '2 up front please' '2 forwards starting' 'I'm going, best pies in the league' 'trust May to pick 2 forwards'  quite a few similar thoughts.

Their front 2 bossed our defence.  Guess they've been playing 1 up front most of the season.  

Guess Hecky, sacked, strangled their style and became too scared to play attacking football.. 

Oddly, I can relate to the Hibs supporters, our pies are braw.   Not many teams come to McD and thrash us.. guess attacking football and the desire and fight to win actually gets results.

Totally... a lot of football games are won with a desire to win and confidence.Two qualities that have deserted us a long time ago.

7 hours ago, Dave H said:

No way... All the WAP experts keep telling us that 2 up front can’t possibly work nowadays because no one plays that way anymore.

We must persist with 1 up. 

There is merit in the thinking that Hibs caught us by surprise with the two strikers and the shackles removed (interim management team really had nothing to lose) but the key factor remains what happened in the second minute. It's just dreadful from Kerr. Doidge displaying the sort of finishing he's been producing all season with the initial effort but gets an open goal from the rebound and never looked back. The importance of confidence in football. 

I would change the goalkeeper. What was noticeable in pre-season was how vocal Parish was and a new voice could help the defence. I remember TW swapping Mannus and Clark a couple of seasons ago for that reason. Parish probably isn't a world-beater but Clark has had a really poor season, something the stats back up.

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

No way... All the WAP experts keep telling us that 2 up front can’t possibly work nowadays because no one plays that way anymore.

We must persist with 1 up. 

We played two up front for an hour yesterday.

Absolutely clueless why people are so obsessed with it. It worked for Hibs yesterday because Kamberi has the ability to take balls in, beat men on his own and create chances. We have no strikers anywhere near his quality. You also had two wing backs able to get up and down the park, four central players who are comfortable on the ball and able to pass around our team.

It's all relative anyway. Aberdeen next. Everyone here will be screeching for a front two, we do that and you leave our central two playing against three players as Aberdeen always go one up front. What happens there? Aberdeen dominate the ball and are allowed to build attacks, unless we drop a striker in to help the midfield. They always have a spare man when we try and build attacks, which means we end up going long. Hows that going to work?

Who are folk even wanting up front? May and Hendry havent linked together once yet have had plenty of minutes together, I cant remember a single pass between them in the second half (you know, that 45 minutes we played with two up front and never got a shot on target until May scored with about the last kick, exactly the same as the St Mirren second half, where we played two up front and couldnt get a shot on target). Other than that you're back to Kane, who whenever hes played in a front two has been playing the exact same role Kennedy has been for the past few weeks.

Folk are forgetting how poor Hearts and Hamilton were. We are the worst side in the division defensively, theres zero question about that. I'll never, ever, understand why so many people see our defence absolutely shipping goals every single week and then claim the best approach is to have less protection in front of them and just go for it. Just now we're conceding over 2 goals a game and that with us apparently "being negative", if we open right up it's going to be even worse.

Crack on though.

2 up front for 60 minutes you say yesterday?   was that at 2 or 3 down?!   To even remotely have the stance that 2 up front doesnt work because it didnt work when we are 2 or 3 down is mind boggling.    Clearly 451 is the root cause of the defeat, the extra man in the middle for us didn't give Hibs any problem.

Play to your strengths, not your weakness, our weakness is defence so let's invite the opposition on, as every time we go forward we lose the ball easily as one man up top has no support. 

Go all out attack v Aberdeen, dont give them a chance to settle by knocking the ball about the back and picking passes at ease, dictating the play.  We dont tackle.    High press, and they'll be the team adapting formation not us man marking their team.   

4 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Go all out attack v Aberdeen, dont give them a chance to settle by knocking the ball about the back and picking passes at ease, dictating the play.  We dont tackle.    High press, and they'll be the team adapting formation not us man marking their team.   

And one punt up to cosgrove and they score

Rinse and repeat.

9 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Play to your strengths, not your weakness, our weakness is defence so let's invite the opposition on, as every time we go forward we lose the ball easily as one man up top has no support. 

I completely and utterly disagree, but we wont agree here, so it's pointless trying to debate it.

All I'll say is going full out attack against the best sides in the league is nothing short of suicide. We are one of the worst teams in the league, people need to accept that.

2 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Most of the assists coming from our left confirms one thing anyway.

I'd add that a fair few of them are due to Tanser being doubled up on, and the spare man there getting a cross in.

Watch Rangers 2nd, and Hibs 4th, for examples of the midfielders not bothering to defend.

If we play one up front the only player we have that can fullfil that role is Kane.  He can pressure defenders & win free kicks but his finishing leaves a lot to be desired. Hendry is better in the air than May & Kane but again not a lone striker. May is too lightweight & no good in the air. He runs back & forward between both defenders but you never get the feeling he wants to put a tackle in.

When May was with us before he fed off Macca & scored most of his goals coming of the left.

We can't do that now as we expect someone out wide to be a support for the fullback  May can't fullfil that role as he doesn't have the pace or be able to tackle.

I think he is fearful for his knee & that is holding him back.

5 hours ago, Cagey said:

If we play one up front the only player we have that can fullfil that role is KaneHe can pressure defenders & win free kicks but his finishing leaves a lot to be desired. Hendry is better in the air than May & Kane but again not a lone striker. May is too lightweight & no good in the air. He runs back & forward between both defenders but you never get the feeling he wants to put a tackle in.

When May was with us before he fed off Macca & scored most of his goals coming of the left.

We can't do that now as we expect someone out wide to be a support for the fullback  May can't fullfil that role as he doesn't have the pace or be able to tackle.

I think he is fearful for his knee & that is holding him back.

I agree 100%.

Just watched the start of the game on saints tv and I cannot understand why we persist with Jason Kerr. He lost us the game in the second minute with that slip that surely any other CH in the league would have dealt with. Hibs got a lift and never looked back. Clark also needs dropped as he keeps pushing shots out not to the side where there is a chance it would be safer.

If the big Estonian or Booth cannot get in our defence at the moment they never will and if not why waste money signing them.