Scottish cup fourth round Jan 18th/19th.

Cagey

8 minutes ago, cristo said:

Job done today, not much to get excited about. Agree with some that Morton had chances but thought they were a bit powder puff where it mattered and the gulf between the teams was there to see. Three goals, could've been more and we may well have conceded against a better team. Another clean sheet on Zander's CV.

May's finish was quality and his effort just before that gives hope that he's getting back to the player we know he can be.

No comment on Booth's goal, if you were there you saw it, if you weren't then watch Sportscene tomorrow. Worth the licence fee.

Except it is on tonight  at 10.30pm ,BBC 1- Cristo

Edited by Templar Saint

13 hours ago, Cagey said:

Dundee at McDiarmid in fifth round. Good crowd. Do we give them 3 stands ?.

Dundee could hardly muster 1000 fans for a home cup game against premier league Motherwell.

arbroath had more at gayfield.

Always look on the bright side of life .ha ha

A game we may have struggled with at the start of the season. No games in 3 weeks with the winter break, Morton finding form in recent weeks - I was expecting a tougher game.  To win 3 nil and could have scored more is very pleasing.  Thought we played well enough, to remove any rustiness.  Still a few mistakes and how some players cant make simple passes is beyond me or knock it out of play that frustrates the hell out of me.

Gulf between the teams was evident from my seat. Worthy winners.  Good game to dust the cobwebs off

13 hours ago, cristo said:

Job done today, not much to get excited about. Agree with some that Morton had chances but thought they were a bit powder puff where it mattered and the gulf between the teams was there to see. Three goals, could've been more and we may well have conceded against a better team. Another clean sheet on Zander's CV.

May's finish was quality and his effort just before that gives hope that he's getting back to the player we know he can be.

No comment on Booth's goal, if you were there you saw it, if you weren't then watch Sportscene tomorrow. Worth the licence fee.

Very little mention of Booths goal but Clare's goal for Hearts almost touted as goal of the season.

Mind you I think Booth could have hit that with his right foot another 10 times & not hit the target but you could say that about most spectacular goals.

29 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Very little mention of Booths goal but Clare's goal for Hearts almost touted as goal of the season.

Mind you I think Booth could have hit that with his right foot another 10 times & not hit the target but you could say that about most spectacular goals.

Nae wonder you get some stick on here.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team win 3-0 and yet play so poorly. Long balls from the defence, aimless passes, May & Kane running on top of one another.

That said, a win is a win.

Good points: Tanser looked ok on the left-wing, this will give us a bit of confidence, May took his goal well (& showed once again what he can do if given the right service).

I really hope that if Kennedy does go, we use it as an opportunity to play in a way that suits May. We have to build the team around the player that is potentially our best, rather than repeatedly trying to stick him in a system that doesn’t suit him. This means balls through the middle, and ditching the out-and-out wingers. Unless new players are signed, MOH has to be the player that feeds May those balls, playing through the middle.

I saw some stats the other day, on twitter I think, which showed the number of goals scored from crosses (and, as a result, the number of goals scored from headers) was way down right across football. Through the middle is kind of the modern way.

Found a different article saying the same thing, but focusing on the EPL.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/16/crossing-heading-dying-art-premier-league/

Edited by Abernethy Saint

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I saw some stats the other day, on twitter I think, which showed the number of goals scored from crosses (and, as a result, the number of goals scored from headers) was way down right across football. Through the middle is kind of the modern way.

Found a different article saying the same thing, but focusing on the EPL.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/16/crossing-heading-dying-art-premier-league/

I have no problem with playing with wingers, and crosses into the box but firstly, our crossing is generally woeful and secondly Hendry is the only striker who can get on the end of the cross and head it into the goal. Either we start with Hendry (& another striker who’s game is focussed on heading) each week, or we change the way we play. We’re not going to start scoring until that happens.