Ali McCann

bankfoot saint

3 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

How many of Turnbull’s goals were penalties? 2 or 3 at least I’d imagine.

I’d happily back McCann to notch 10-15 goals this season - especially if we give him 2 or 3 penalties to take. Does that make him worth £4 million?

Quite frankly I’m so confident that Ali will have a great career that sell on clauses would be valuable.

£1.8 million and 15% sell on clause.

3 penalties, so 12 open play goals in 30 games, plus 6 assists.

McCann has 6 goals, and 6 assists, in over 70 career games.

I'm no expert on Turnbull, but £3m is nothing for a lot of English clubs, although admittedly times have changed with Covid. I actually don't mind that he has been used as a DM as well as his preferred attacking role. Shows adaptability. I think Saints would take around £2m. Now.... Where's our next McCann?

16 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

for me, £3M minimum factoring contract length and talent. I’d try and get that this summer if it were me in charge 

It's fine trying to get it done, but someone has to be willing to pay it. I think most of us thought we'd get a million for May at the very least, but we didn't. We turned down a bid for Kerr because it was too low, but then no subsequent bid came in. I'm sceptical that anyone will come in with an offer of £3m for McCann, and if Saints wait too long holding out for that sort of money then they risk losing him for a lot less as he approaches the end of his contract.

14 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

It's fine trying to get it done, but someone has to be willing to pay it. I think most of us thought we'd get a million for May at the very least, but we didn't. We turned down a bid for Kerr because it was too low, but then no subsequent bid came in. I'm sceptical that anyone will come in with an offer of £3m for McCann, and if Saints wait too long holding out for that sort of money then they risk losing him for a lot less as he approaches the end of his contract.

I think May’s situation taught us a lesson. If you have talented young players, they need to be on long contracts. 

If I’m not mistaken, when we sold May, anyone could have signed him for nothing in the following January. I actually think we done well to get what we did. 

All it takes is two or 3 teams to be interested and you get a bidding war.

Without that though I think you have to take highest offer. 

May situation would have been different with more teams interested. 

Its interesting to note that Motherwell players like Turnbull attract more interest  ,not sure why because we have equally similar sellable players like May Kerr  and now McCann,don't attract big bids 

Let's not forget the part a player plays in all this though if they want to stay or don't fancy the new Club they won't go.

Danny Griffin is a good example 

1.5 Million offer from Derby, he didn't fancy it and Stayed put.

57 minutes ago, Linky said:

With the May sale, I'm sure I saw something that a lot of it was due to be paid in add-ons and we didn't actually get it in the end. The Chairman talking about how we learned our lesson with that last time and were too trusting.

I thought it was the other way round and we accepted the Wednesday offer because it was less dependent on add-ons? I think Peterborough were the club who wanted to pay in multiple instalments and add-ons and Saints weren't having it, which I seem to remember prompted a minor hissy fit from their chairman.

There's a bit about it here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23784963

4 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

All it takes is two or 3 teams to be interested and you get a bidding war.

Without that though I think you have to take highest offer. 

May situation would have been different with more teams interested. 

Its interesting to note that Motherwell players like Turnbull attract more interest  ,not sure why because we have equally similar sellable players like May Kerr  and now McCann,don't attract big bids 

Let's not forget the part a player plays in all this though if they want to stay or don't fancy the new Club they won't go.

Danny Griffin is a good example 

1.5 Million offer from Derby, he didn't fancy it and Stayed put.

I think that is the reason we should talk our players up to get the media attention & then hopefully the scouts etc. I am sure that's how Motherwell do it.

Not like us saying he isn't worth £3 million. Saying the best we can hope for use sutch & sutch . He doesn't score enough goals etc etc.

On 11/29/2020 at 10:18 AM, Widge said:

The thing with McCann is he’s a once in a generation player. A player that you knew from the moment he got in the team that he’s improve and end up making saints a lot of money. I don’t remember the last player who we had, where we genuinely thought we’d get a 7 figure fee for. Stevie May possibly, but even then he had a lot more hype around him, but strangely wasn’t nearly as good as McCann is at his age. 

Jason Kerr was always talked about as being able to go on to bigger things and I still believe he will. He’s now showing that he’s actually too good for this league, he’s big, strong, quick and more importantly is now running our defence. People may say it’s Gordon, but look at the number of times Kerr has nailed this defence out. He’s an international quality player right now based on the squad and has finally matured into the excellent defender he always looked like becoming. The only criticism I have is, when he first started player he always looked like scoring goals, not so much now! 

Danny Griffin. 

1 hour ago, jhq said:

Unfortunately the Covid situation will mean Ali McCann will probably leave for a lot less than his true value.  

Provided we have a vaccine by the summer and Covid is on the way out then considering McCann is contracted to Saints till 2023 Covid will not effect anything 

I don't expect anything to happen until 2022 and he will most likely have an extension by then

Unless  an English top or second tier club get involved. 

1 hour ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Provided we have a vaccine by the summer and Covid is on the way out then considering McCann is contracted to Saints till 2023 Covid will not effect anything 

I don't expect anything to happen until 2022 and he will most likely have an extension by then

Covid has already cost all clubs a fortune including Saints.  Clubs will not have such big transfer budgets and the need to balance the books will probably force Saints to settle for less than might otherwise have been the case. Vaccines will not change the financial damage unfortunately. 

19 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

I don't see why McCann would sign an extension with us. What would be the incentive for him? It would just mean that the buying club would have to pay Saints more; without an extension that cash will go to the player (and more importantly his agent) as a signing on fee. I think McCann has already shown the club plenty of loyalty by signing on til 2023. Appreciate there may be implications of his young age, development fees etc that may complicate things.

He’s probably on a pretty low wage atm, as a young, untested, brand new squad player at the time. He’s since become a first-pick, and an internationalist. I think most clubs in this situation would offer a big pay rise in return for a longer contract - now, not in 2022. If his agent isn’t already bending Broon’s ear, he needs a new agent.

Wonder if Celtic are lining him up to be Brown's long-term replacement. We have to make sure that we don't let him go for less than he's worth simply due to Covid. I'd like us to use the money to improve our scouting, and ensure that we unearth similar players in the future.

2 hours ago, Linky said:

Wonder if Celtic are lining him up to be Brown's long-term replacement. We have to make sure that we don't let him go for less than he's worth simply due to Covid. I'd like us to use the money to improve our scouting, and ensure that we unearth similar players in the future.

He's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. 

21 minutes ago, Linky said:

Not if you hold onto him until the Covid situation improves and sell him next season for double what someone might offer now.

That's making a big assumption that there won't be another wave... Apparently the vaccines being. Developed have a big problem... Covid mutates and becomes immune to vaccines, which target one single type.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Not if you hold onto him until the Covid situation improves and sell him next season for double what someone might offer now.

If you hold on to him and he doesn't sign a new contract you lose him for  a development fee (aka buttons).