Ali McCann

bankfoot saint

20 hours ago, garydavidson said:

McCann seems smarter than to want to warm the seats at Parkhead.

At the risk of sounding like @RandomGuy

Interesting comparison to David Turnbull who Celtic bought from Motherwell for £3 million. 

Turnbull played 39 spl games for well, 4 under 21 caps no full caps

Ali has played 47 spl games for Saints 6 under 21 caps and 2 full caps

Got to be worth at least £3m going by that valuation plus not had a serious cruciate injury like Turnbull. 

3 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Both goals against Hibs remind me of that fact that to try and mould Ali McCann into a holding midfielder is ludicrous.

I know I have gone on about it an awful lot but Callum just has to let him play. No point in shackling him, let’s enjoy him while he is here. Magnificent talent.

Agree. Maybe he got the chance to get in the box last night as Liam was more of a holding midfielder.

Surely if we have a player that can score he should be allowed to get in the box on occasion.

Covid or no Covid, we need to find some cash to give this lad a contract extension. It could end up being the most profitable contract extension that we ever hand out.

Wouldn’t it be fitting if the player who holds our record transfer, now manager, was the man who helped nurture the player who becomes the new record transfer.

£2 million would be a bargain for English Championship club.

13 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Covid or no Covid, we need to find some cash to give this lad a contract extension. It could end up being the most profitable contract extension that we ever hand out.

Wouldn’t it be fitting if the player who holds our record transfer, now manager, was the man who helped nurture the player who becomes the new record transfer.

£2 million would be a bargain for English Championship club.

He is on a 2-3 year contract is he not?.

A young Motherwell player went to Celtic for £3 million & can't get a game. Bigger fees paid down south so I would be disappointed if we allowed McCann go for less.

54 minutes ago, Cagey said:

He is on a 2-3 year contract is he not?.

A young Motherwell player went to Celtic for £3 million & can't get a game. Bigger fees paid down south so I would be disappointed if we allowed McCann go for less.

2023 his deal is, so realistically we've got until the end of next season to sell him.

We won't match Turnbulls fee. We all have bias towards McCann, but goals sell players and Turnbulls goal record was absolutely elite for a CM. 

If we can make a deal that sees us eventually break the £1.8m record, I reckon I'll be happy. 

The thing with McCann is he’s a once in a generation player. A player that you knew from the moment he got in the team that he’s improve and end up making saints a lot of money. I don’t remember the last player who we had, where we genuinely thought we’d get a 7 figure fee for. Stevie May possibly, but even then he had a lot more hype around him, but strangely wasn’t nearly as good as McCann is at his age. 

Jason Kerr was always talked about as being able to go on to bigger things and I still believe he will. He’s now showing that he’s actually too good for this league, he’s big, strong, quick and more importantly is now running our defence. People may say it’s Gordon, but look at the number of times Kerr has nailed this defence out. He’s an international quality player right now based on the squad and has finally matured into the excellent defender he always looked like becoming. The only criticism I have is, when he first started player he always looked like scoring goals, not so much now! 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

2023 his deal is, so realistically we've got until the end of next season to sell him.

We won't match Turnbulls fee. We all have bias towards McCann, but goals sell players and Turnbulls goal record was absolutely elite for a CM. 

If we can make a deal that sees us eventually break the £1.8m record, I reckon I'll be happy. 

Not sure about the goals side of it.

How many goal scoring midfielders are there ?. At the moment McCann is playing as a defensive midfielder. Last season he played more offensive & scored a few goals.

John McGinn & Declan Rice are not prolific scorers & they have a huge value.

Not for a minute comparing Ali with £30 million players but it is an example of players that are not in the team to score goals. Controlling the midfield & protecting the defence is just as important.

I wish we were more like Motherwell & get a decent transfer fee like they did for a few players who have not gone on to do anything.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Not sure about the goals side of it.

How many goal scoring midfielders are there ?

Turnbull, aged 19, scored 15 goals in 30 league games, and also got 6 assists. 

The highest goal involvement for a teenage midfielder for about 20 years.

Those who know what they're looking for will value McCanns strengths, I can see more English clubs being interested than him than Turnbull. Issue is English clubs seem to prefer low initial fees, with big sell on clauses, while Celtic prefer to do it the opposite way.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Turnbull, aged 19, scored 15 goals in 30 league games, and also got 6 assists. 

The highest goal involvement for a teenage midfielder for about 20 years.

Those who know what they're looking for will value McCanns strengths, I can see more English clubs being interested than him than Turnbull. Issue is English clubs seem to prefer low initial fees, with big sell on clauses, while Celtic prefer to do it the opposite way.

How many of Turnbull’s goals were penalties? 2 or 3 at least I’d imagine.

I’d happily back McCann to notch 10-15 goals this season - especially if we give him 2 or 3 penalties to take. Does that make him worth £4 million?

Quite frankly I’m so confident that Ali will have a great career that sell on clauses would be valuable.

£1.8 million and 15% sell on clause.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

2 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

How many of Turnbull’s goals were penalties? 2 or 3 at least I’d imagine.

I’d happily back McCann to notch 10-15 goals this season - especially if we give him 2 or 3 penalties to take. Does that make him worth £4 million?

Quite frankly I’m so confident that Ali will have a great career that sell on clauses would be valuable.

£1.8 million and 15% sell on clause.

I think clubs will have taken more notice of his 2 games against Austria and Romania than they will an entire season against Scottish opposition. 

He was superb, fans on Twitter were suggesting they might have found Davis’s successor. 

He strolled those games and I think that’s what’ll interest the English clubs.

for me, £3M minimum factoring contract length and talent. I’d try and get that this summer if it were me in charge