Worst Saints Team Ever

Linky

13 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Nope, not for me. We were still in that bottom division when Totten took over. I personally loved that period for Saints, my uncle kept taking me to Tannadice to try and entice me but I preferred the barren scapes of Muirton. 

totally agree, but we were still shit.

I have a memory of watching an absolutely rotten Saints XI away to Clyde in the early part of season 2007/08. The previous year we'd had the fantastic team with Scotland, Sheerin, Hardie, Mensing etc which painfully missed out on promotion on that day at Hamilton. That squad seemed to just fall apart in the summer that followed and Coyle, after initially using his contacts to make some brilliant signings for us in his early days, just seemed lost and didn't know how to re-build. We ended up with Dyron Daal and John Stewart up front at Broadwood, and we lost. I remember leaving the ground that day in utter confusion, wondering how we'd gone downhill so quickly. Coyle ended up leaving us for Burnley that November but I honestly think he might have ended up getting sacked if that hadn't happened.

I can't find the rest of the line-up for that day but there's a Daily Record report here: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-record/20070825/282793532019681

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I have a memory of watching an absolutely rotten Saints XI away to Clyde in the early part of season 2007/08. The previous year we'd had the fantastic team with Scotland, Sheerin, Hardie, Mensing etc which painfully missed out on promotion on that day at Hamilton. That squad seemed to just fall apart in the summer that followed and Coyle, after initially using his contacts to make some brilliant signings for us in his early days, just seemed lost and didn't know how to re-build. We ended up with Dyron Daal and John Stewart up front at Broadwood, and we lost. I remember leaving the ground that day in utter confusion, wondering how we'd gone downhill so quickly. Coyle ended up leaving us for Burnley that November but I honestly think he might have ended up getting sacked if that hadn't happened.

I can't find the rest of the line-up for that day but there's a Daily Record report here: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-record/20070825/282793532019681

Its maybe mentioned, but Daal missed an absolute sitter that day. Ball across the face of goal, on his own at the back post, and he cant stretch his massive legs 2 feet to poke it in. 

Knew he was done at the club after that.

58 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Yeah. £200,000 is a terrifying thought.

Incredible to think that in those days we were willing to pay that amount of money for a youngster who, as I remember it, had never started a senior game in his career. I wouldn't put him down as one of our worst players, but pound for pound he must be near the top of the list for worst value.

Doesn't seem as if things have gone especially well for him since leaving Saints, unfortunately: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-celtic-starlet-john-paul-4320296

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/clyde-vs-st-jstone/86781

Screenshot_2019-12-20-16-39-08.jpg

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Coyle ended up leaving us for Burnley that November but I honestly think he might have ended up getting sacked if that hadn't happened.

I disagree, although not sure how things would have panned out over the next few years. 

He steadied the ship at the end of that window by making some proper signings in Irvine, Quinn and Deuchar and by giving Andy Jackson a chance. 

After failing to win in our first 7 games, we went 7 wins, 3 draws, 1 defeat in the 11 games before he left for Burnley. 

What you are seeing now with Coyle is he's a yesterday's man, he hasn't moved with the times and 4-4-2 with cakes on a Friday isn't modern management. 

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Those were the days when I could afford to go to away games. I was there and had successfully obliterated this from my memory so thanks for that BH.......

I seem to recall Martin Hardie telling one of our fans (ghosting I believe) to go away and procreate at the second away fixture at Clyde that season! 

22 hours ago, dunblanemike said:

Those were the days when I could afford to go to away games. I was there and had successfully obliterated this from my memory so thanks for that BH.......

I seem to recall Martin Hardie telling one of our fans (ghosting I believe) to go away and procreate at the second away fixture at Clyde that season!

Think that was at Livi. Thought he was going to come up the stairs to make sure he heard it 

22 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

I disagree, although not sure how things would have panned out over the next few years. 

He steadied the ship at the end of that window by making some proper signings in Irvine, Quinn and Deuchar and by giving Andy Jackson a chance. 

After failing to win in our first 7 games, we went 7 wins, 3 draws, 1 defeat in the 11 games before he left for Burnley. 

What you are seeing now with Coyle is he's a yesterday's man, he hasn't moved with the times and 4-4-2 with cakes on a Friday isn't modern management. 

I don't think too many objected to him going away to Burnley, it did seem a tough start to the season after coming so close before.

On 12/20/2019 at 5:25 PM, Radford 72 said:

I like Coyle - he made a big impact upon his arrival with some absolutely brilliant signings, and when things started to gel with the team he'd built we were a fantastic side to watch (especially when Jason Scotland was at his best). I think at the time, after the way we'd lost fans with Stark and then Connolly, he was exactly what we needed - a "feel good" manager who gets the supporters excited and gets the players wanting to play for him. I don't think he was ever going to be considered a tactical mastermind though - McInnes was much more in tune with that side of things and I think that's what allowed us to take that next step in getting up to the Premier and staying there. I'd still like to see Coyle do well in management but it's not a huge surprise that, after initially doing a great job for Burnley, he's pretty much struggled everywhere ever since. I hope he's been smart with the money he must have earned.

I sometimes wonder what might have happened had we had a "Sliding Doors" moment where James Grady didn't score his last minute winner for Gretna, we'd managed to keep our team together with the lure of Premier League football, and gone up into the SPL with a squad including Scotland, Peaso, Hardie, James, Sheerin, Mensing etc. I reckon we'd have done pretty well (although I concede that even if we'd gone up we'd probably have struggled to hold on to Scotland).

Just imagine how good we might have been under Coyle if he'd gotten along with Stephen Dobbie and played Dobbie and Scotland up front together for us.