3 Stands for Old Firm

Abernethy Saint

On 2/4/2020 at 7:15 AM, Melbourne Saint said:

Good stuff! Are we connected through real estate agents like Clyde etc for rentals and sales? 

I remember Clyde used to sponsor SaintsTV and are still involved in sponsoring the club elsewhere and Aberdein & Considine have some sort of deal/package with the 'Saints Card' when purchasing a season ticket but I don't know if either of them are involved in this.

9 minutes ago, ejksjfc said:

According to the FAQ’s email about the rangers game the turnstiles open at 6.30pm. This could be a bit of a sneaky move by Saints to grab their money but not let them see the game.......or it could just be a mistake.

Notified them of error and on social media it is now 75 minutes before kick off.

Somebody did not read their own information sheet as it was 6.30pm for the Celtic midweek match.

12 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Notified them of error and on social media it is now 75 minutes before kick off.

Somebody did not read their own information sheet as it was 6.30pm for the Celtic midweek match.

Do you think they will be able to work out when 75mins before kick off is.

I'm all for giving the OF 3 stands at ties, given our home attendances. Purely for financial reasons. However....

McD is getting a bit old, maintenance is a major cost. So a fairly major upgrade is required in the next few years. Shite plumbing, electricity etc. Can we not use this to our advantage given we're going to have to fork out a shitload of dosh to upgrade it? The "safe standing" concept suits us. Designate 1/3rd of East stand for a mix of safe standing/ seated home. West is a mix of seated. So, we get atmosphere back & take coin from OF games. There are relatively cheap flexible seating "modules" which can accomodate this for a cost that is revenue plus when required. Call it "intelligent" seating. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Saints support being in one stand has worked out quite well so far. Club are making a decent amount of money from it and our support is huddled together and making a bit of noise as a result.

This has been a success IMO - I'd imagine it'll be a permanent arrangement as of next season and wouldn't be surprised if East Stand season ticket holders are allocated west stand seats for these games going forward.

Agree that this trial works and made me go to OF game for first time in a while, and bring 10 yr old nephews as well

Saintees all together meant decent atmosphere and surrounded by OF fans just adds to theatre  especially when you are competitive and they are starting to get nervous.

Is it a coincidence that last 2 old firm games we have put up a much better performance than usual - i would like to know the players and Tommys feeling on their experience?

surely adds to their adrenaline at home surrounded on 3 sides by OF fans - want to stick it to them etc

I watched the match on TV yesterday and have to say that the Saints fans sounded like they were in great voice. During one burst of singing from the Saints support, Chris Sutton mentioned that it was the best atmosphere he'd heard in McDiarmid.

It looked like the Celtic fans were all standing throughout the match, on all three sides - is that allowed in the stadium now, then?

26 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I watched the match on TV yesterday and have to say that the Saints fans sounded like they were in great voice. During one burst of singing from the Saints support, Chris Sutton mentioned that it was the best atmosphere he'd heard in McDiarmid.

It looked like the Celtic fans were all standing throughout the match, on all three sides - is that allowed in the stadium now, then?

It is when Celtic are in town. 

But it rarely gets mentioned. Just like the broken seats/toilets etc.

22 hours ago, Cagey said:

A lot of fans still wandering about at kickoff looking for their seat numbers. It's not rocket science if you can read.

Although I had a seat number allocated to me , I found it easier to occupy another.

It did have a Reserved sticker on it and I would have moved if asked.

There were plenty to choose from. 

21 hours ago, blueheaven said:

There was a section of our support allowed to stand as well.

I often think it is a misconception that Saints fans want to stand, I don t have any stats to back this up but I think the majority of our support probably prefer sitting.

Sunday I looked at the three stands of standing Celtic fans and thought that it must be driving some folk away from watching football. What about the elderly or unfit who just couldn't stand for 90 mins.

I enjoyed the day out at Ayr standing but my preference at McDiarmid is to sit in my seat to watch football. 

As it turned out my ticket on sunday ended up being right in the bit where everyone was standing, no issue as I simply just moved along a bit to a spare seat but there was no mention on Friday when I bought my ticket that this was an area the club were going to allow standing.

I totally get some folk prefer standing and would love an official standing area. I d just prefer the clubs ( not just Saints. most teams I think are at fault with this) came out and let people know where it is allowed and where it isn't and then people can make a choice.

I go to games with friends, my dad and my laddie, sons at an age he d rather go with his mates and they d rather stand, dads in his 80s and just couldn't stand for that length of time, I could stand easy enough and regularly watch lower league football where standings the only option but given a choice I d sit.

what annoys me ( and it happens at games down south more than at Saints to be fair ) is when lads arrive near ko, head near the front and then insist on standing, this give a domino effect of forcing everyone behind to stand, most of whom probably don't want to.

Every team I think would benefit from making safe standing areas both for home and away fans, would probably bring more young lads back to the game as they would know before they went somewhere that they are allowed to stand.     

1 hour ago, Strawman said:

There was a section of our support allowed to stand as well.

I often think it is a misconception that Saints fans want to stand, I don t have any stats to back this up but I think the majority of our support probably prefer sitting.

Sunday I looked at the three stands of standing Celtic fans and thought that it must be driving some folk away from watching football. What about the elderly or unfit who just couldn't stand for 90 mins.

I enjoyed the day out at Ayr standing but my preference at McDiarmid is to sit in my seat to watch football. 

As it turned out my ticket on sunday ended up being right in the bit where everyone was standing, no issue as I simply just moved along a bit to a spare seat but there was no mention on Friday when I bought my ticket that this was an area the club were going to allow standing.

I totally get some folk prefer standing and would love an official standing area. I d just prefer the clubs ( not just Saints. most teams I think are at fault with this) came out and let people know where it is allowed and where it isn't and then people can make a choice.

I go to games with friends, my dad and my laddie, sons at an age he d rather go with his mates and they d rather stand, dads in his 80s and just couldn't stand for that length of time, I could stand easy enough and regularly watch lower league football where standings the only option but given a choice I d sit.

what annoys me ( and it happens at games down south more than at Saints to be fair ) is when lads arrive near ko, head near the front and then insist on standing, this give a domino effect of forcing everyone behind to stand, most of whom probably don't want to.

Every team I think would benefit from making safe standing areas both for home and away fans, would probably bring more young lads back to the game as they would know before they went somewhere that they are allowed to stand.     

Completely agree with all of this - generally I don't mind whether I'm sitting or standing, but when people insist on standing up in seated areas and blocking the view of those behind them who may wish to sit, I think they can only be described as gigantically selfish twats.

I was under the impression clubs weren't permitted to allow standing in seated areas, so it surprises me that it was being allowed on Sunday. As you say, it would be helpful if the club were open about what area that is so that people could make an informed choice when buying their tickets.

On 3/2/2020 at 1:18 PM, blueheaven said:

Rangers and Celtic fans were both allowed to stand for the 90 minutes, and that included standing in stairways.

Different rules for them, but it's been that way for as long as I've gone to games.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Rangers and Celtic fans were both allowed to stand for the 90 minutes, and that included standing in stairways.

Different rules for them, but it's been that way for as long as I've gone to games.

Yeh , noticed them standing in the stairways in the East stand. No one interested in safety there. You try it next home game & see the response.

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Yeh , noticed them standing in the stairways in the East stand. No one interested in safety there. You try it next home game & see the response.

They would throw out everyone who stands & have the riot police on standby with tasers.

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

The day that Midge scored I suffered an horrendous cramp in my right thigh and was trying to walk it off by waking towards the exits and back towards the pitch rather than walking in front of the fans. I explained what my problem was and after a heated argument the steward got on his walkie talkie to his supervisor to get me thrown out as I wouldn’t sit down!! His supervisor came along and basically told him to go f**k himself and learn some common sense. Luckily resolved just in time for Midges magic moment.