Kristen Robertson

THE LARK SAINT

10 hours ago, MySpazz said:

KR is in the club to get it running as a business, ready for for the FOR SALE sign to go up

Question isn't what did she do to make Tommy leave.

Question is: What didn't she do to keep him at McD?

Answer.............not enough!

Hang on... what could she have done???? From all statements so far, the enforced lockdown made TW tealise he wanted a break- for personal reasons. You can't force someone to stay against their will.

As for the "sale sign", that's been there for years. We all know the Broons want out. Maybe with KR doing all the financial shite behind the scenes, we'll be more attractive to what the Broons consider an owner with the best intentions of the club at heart. 

On 5/10/2020 at 11:34 AM, Melbourne Saint said:

Hang on... what could she have done???? From all statements so far, the enforced lockdown made TW tealise he wanted a break- for personal reasons. You can't force someone to stay against their will.

You can't force someone to stay, but you can make various offers to try to convince them to change their mind. Did Saints try to change Tommy's mind? If he'd become unhappy, what steps could have been taken to reverse that situation? I don't suppose we'll ever truly know, but if the club gets the next appointment wrong, I think it's only to be expected that the fans will come back to this question again: why wasn't more done to hold onto our greatest ever manager?

9 hours ago, blueheaven said:

You can't force someone to stay, but you can make various offers to try to convince them to change their mind. Did Saints try to change Tommy's mind? If he'd become unhappy, what steps could have been taken to reverse that situation? I don't suppose we'll ever truly know, but if the club gets the next appointment wrong, I think it's only to be expected that the fans will come back to this question again: why wasn't more done to hold onto our greatest ever manager?

On the flip side, it's all unsubstantiated speculation. We won't budge on our salary cap/ signings (for good reason), so no sweetner there. Don't know what salary TW was on, maybe could've increased it- maybe we did make a revised offer. But what is stated as fact, is it's personal reasons. If the next manager turns out to be mince, those that say the club "could've done more to keep TW" are talking out their arse. His time had come, he left for personal reasons. End of.

9 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

On the flip side, it's all unsubstantiated speculation. We won't budge on our salary cap/ signings (for good reason), so no sweetner there. Don't know what salary TW was on, maybe could've increased it- maybe we did make a revised offer. But what is stated as fact, is it's personal reasons. If the next manager turns out to be mince, those that say the club "could've done more to keep TW" are talking out their arse. His time had come, he left for personal reasons. End of.

But it's not true that we won't budge on a "salary cap" - by many accounts we've twice offered deals to Stevie May which have been way above our usual salary structure, and the Browns have said in the past that the money is there to be used in the right circumstances. And it's not necessarily about throwing more money at the problem anyway. If there were "personal reasons" why he was unhappy, I don't think it's crazy to suggest his employer might have tried to see if those problems could be resolved. Could his hours have been adjusted to allow him more time to spend back home? Could he have been granted a sabbatical of a few months (given that there probably won't be any matches for months and months this would probably have been quite easy to make happen)? There are lots of non-financial ways a person's situation can be improved. And of course it's all speculation, but I don't see at all why a fan would be "talking out of their arse" by asking if the club tried to hold onto him.

15 hours ago, blueheaven said:

But it's not true that we won't budge on a "salary cap" - by many accounts we've twice offered deals to Stevie May which have been way above our usual salary structure, and the Browns have said in the past that the money is there to be used in the right circumstances. And it's not necessarily about throwing more money at the problem anyway. If there were "personal reasons" why he was unhappy, I don't think it's crazy to suggest his employer might have tried to see if those problems could be resolved. Could his hours have been adjusted to allow him more time to spend back home? Could he have been granted a sabbatical of a few months (given that there probably won't be any matches for months and months this would probably have been quite easy to make happen)? There are lots of non-financial ways a person's situation can be improved. And of course it's all speculation, but I don't see at all why a fan would be "talking out of their arse" by asking if the club tried to hold onto him.

His time had come. We must accept that. Pointing fingers at KR is in my opinion wrong, until proven otherwise. Give her a chance... as for May, the offers were muddled by Vine. It was an exceptional circumstance, and we had to let players go to balance the books once again. So there is a budget framework.

Edited by Melbourne Saint

7 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

His time had come. We must accept that. Pointing fingers at KR is in my opinion wrong, until proven otherwise. Give her a chance... as for May, the offers were muddled by Vine. It was an exceptional circumstance, and we had to let players go to balance the books once again. So there is a budget framework.

I agree and I've been careful not to point fingers at anyone. However, none of that changes the fact that it's completely reasonable to ask if the club could have done more to try to change TW's mind.

13 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I agree and I've been careful not to point fingers at anyone. However, none of that changes the fact that it's completely reasonable to ask if the club could have done more to try to change TW's mind.

Fair enough to ask the question, but I dare say they felt that TW'S mind was made up. We all know he's a stubborn codger, and a decision that he'd obviously been thinking about for a while. I don't think Saints could've persuaded him in any way.  The debate will no doubt rumble on, and that irks me somewhat. I'd far rather look forward, and whoever gets the gig has big shoes to fill. Let's hope if future results don't go his way, there's not a chorus of "hate KR, it's her fault Tommy left". There's no proof! Remember in November,  a lot of ppl were questioning TW. I think TW felt he'd taken the club as far as he could and needed a break. I think the time was right for TW to leave. Head held high, held in highest esteem by the fans.

Edited by Melbourne Saint