Scottish Cup Q/F 29/2/2020

Cagey

Gutted by that result, but that was a terrific performance. What a hard-working, positive and spirited Saints team this is. Getting through to the next round of the Cup when you're drawn against Celtic was always going to be a big ask, but I'm filled with confidence that if we keep building as we are then it's only a matter of time until we can get back there.

Incredible to think that the oldest players in our starting line-up yesterday were Wotherspoon (30) and Clark and May (both 27). We wanted a younger team, the manager has committed to it, and now - after a fairly short transitional period - we seem to be reaping the benefits. Our defence looks very solid now, with Kerr back to his best and McCart looking like a brilliant addition. Drey Wright proved he can defend for us when asked too, and we still have Rooney (another young one at just 23) to come. If we can hold onto Booth too we're going to be really well covered at the back for next season.

7 minutes ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

We are improving in leaps and bounds could be a good bet for a trophy next year. 

Problem is I think this was THE chance, getting to 80 mins. At the moment Celtic are the Team to beat in the cup and we came as close as anyone in recent times. I was thoroughly impressed by Saints. Took my young lad and I think he finally understood that although we didnt win that for our club it was a win of sorts.

Usually I go home from games when we get beat feeling scunnered, not yesterday. Felt really proud to be a Saintee. 

Just remembered. Late in the game Spoony was about to shoot about 20 yards out when Christie caught his shooting foot & we never got a free kick. Spoony just hobbled about for a while. Not sure why he didn't go down & screech like a bairn like the Celtic players were doing all game.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Just remembered. Late in the game Spoony was about to shoot about 20 yards out when Christie caught his shooting foot & we never got a free kick. Spoony just hobbled about for a while. Not sure why he didn't go down & screech like a bairn like the Celtic players were doing all game.

Was it Spoony? I remember someones foot being kicked rather than the ball and thought it looked like a foul. Few poor decisions like that. 

Certainly remember a Celtic player getting a sore one and being down for ages after a clearance hit him.

15 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Gutted by that result, but that was a terrific performance. What a hard-working, positive and spirited Saints team this is. Getting through to the next round of the Cup when you're drawn against Celtic was always going to be a big ask, but I'm filled with confidence that if we keep building as we are then it's only a matter of time until we can get back there.

Incredible to think that the oldest players in our starting line-up yesterday were Wotherspoon (30) and Clark and May (both 27). We wanted a younger team, the manager has committed to it, and now - after a fairly short transitional period - we seem to be reaping the benefits. Our defence looks very solid now, with Kerr back to his best and McCart looking like a brilliant addition. Drey Wright proved he can defend for us when asked too, and we still have Rooney (another young one at just 23) to come. If we can hold onto Booth too we're going to be really well covered at the back for next season.

I've said before that McCart is a brilliant signing. He has the capacity to go to the top. Enjoy him while we can. How Tommy got him under the noses of Aberdeen & Motherwell makes losing Kennedy a faint memory.  Just wish we could give Kerr & McCart a big longterm contract.with Rooney & hopefully Booth, that is a strong backline.midfield 2 players, thankyou very much 

8 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Also worth noting that McCart not only brings out the best in Kerr, but Zander too. He is our rock. Rooney will be special playing with those guys.

I liked the way McCart wiped out Forrest , in contrast to Tanser who backed off & backed off until he allowed him to get a cross or shot in.

33 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I liked the way McCart wiped out Forrest , in contrast to Tanser who backed off & backed off until he allowed him to get a cross or shot in.

Tanser played him well in comparison to some of the previous games that he has played at McD. Take it you are not a Tanser fan @cagey

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

Tanser played him well in comparison to some of the previous games that he has played at McD. Take it you are not a Tanser fan @cagey

Don't mind him as wingback against lesser players than Forrest when he doesn't have to do much defending. After the amount of games he had nightmares against Forrest I could not believe Tommy didn't play Booth.

You are right Forrest wasn't as effective against Tanser in this game but he hasn't been as effective this season in general.