Cagey

Scottish Cup Q/F 29/2/2020

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

McCart is an absolute gem. Best signing in a while. He reminds me a bit of Gary Gillespie (I know...) big, honest, comfortable on the ball. He'll make mistakes, he's 22. A future Scotland player, mark my words. And also a target for the ugly sisters. Can't wait for Rooney. He's a great player. Just need to sort out midfield. 

Agree about McCart & think he has helped Kerr to regain his form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I think if they had played Sumunovic & we had a bit more composure in front of goal we might have got at least a draw.

Draw in the league against Celtic is a good thing. A draw in the cup and a replay at Celtic Park would have boosted confidence but not something to relish. Today and getting to 80 mins was a big chance. They looked shakey at times today and beatable. Im sure Brown had Kane in a headlock at one point. Ref just stood and watched him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rob said:

Draw in the league against Celtic is a good thing. A draw in the cup and a replay at Celtic Park would have boosted confidence but not something to relish. Today and getting to 80 mins was a big chance. They looked shakey at times today and beatable. Im sure Brown had Kane in a headlock at one point. Ref just stood and watched him.

Brown is a thug. Refs in Scotland let him away with murder but he doesn't in Europe. The minute Kane come on Brown was on him ,holding ,barging & fouling constantly. Not sure if he did it on his volition or Lennon's tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

****in ridiculous the BBC says we were "pummelled" , so disrespectful an untrue version of events.... apparently we had 77% possession as well, go figure... such poor reporting.

image.png.753cd61a3460d3e55d4f898290527d50.png

The person that wrote the report obviously based it on the BBC highlights. They just made it appear to be wave after wave of celtic attack.

Thought it was a cracking cup tie and would have loved to have at least got a replay out of it.

Great atmosphere with saints in the one stand and a good few quid in the bank.

Now we need a good final half dozen games to get into the top six for another crack at them at Perth and more money in the bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rob said:

Draw in the league against Celtic is a good thing. A draw in the cup and a replay at Celtic Park would have boosted confidence but not something to relish. Today and getting to 80 mins was a big chance. They looked shakey at times today and beatable. Im sure Brown had Kane in a headlock at one point. Ref just stood and watched him.

 

7 hours ago, Cagey said:

Brown is a thug. Refs in Scotland let him away with murder but he doesn't in Europe. The minute Kane come on Brown was on him ,holding ,barging & fouling constantly. Not sure if he did it on his volition or Lennon's tactics.

Thought the two of them were at it pulling each other. I would love Brown to be in my team, every top team needs that enforcer type player.

Kane seems to attract the physical aspect of the game, cant think of a game yet where he has not been battered or kicked about. Coincidence or is Kano just fly and does not get caught.:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mainstand said:

 

Thought the two of them were at it pulling each other. I would love Brown to be in my team, every top team needs that enforcer type player.

Kane seems to attract the physical aspect of the game, cant think of a game yet where he has not been battered or kicked about. Coincidence or is Kano just fly and does not get caught.:laugh:

Said it before , Kane is our Buck McGarry young anes wont know who he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cagey said:

Brown is a thug. Refs in Scotland let him away with murder but he doesn't in Europe. The minute Kane come on Brown was on him ,holding ,barging & fouling constantly. Not sure if he did it on his volition or Lennon's tactics.

He is indeed.  A Scottish Roy Keane. Hopefully his last season. Then he'll move onto management and... fail dismally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t get this still, 3 stands and empty seats yet there’s still people in Perth willing to put them in the main stand. It’s going to end up with someone getting a proper doing in and it’s happened twice now in successive weeks. 

B1EAEE9B-0C3E-44C7-9174-6F70C26DFF60.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agre with Mainstand I thought it was a cracking cup tie and it was right in the balance until the final whistle.

We matched them physically all over the park and they were rattled when we started probing down their flanks - so frustrating that we couldn't get that break through. I felt if Stevie had got his shot off and scored we would have won the game. A measure of how well we played was I've never seen the Celtic support celebrate like they did when they scored.

The trail of having the home support in the one stand is 100% a success and the way to go; the atmosphere among the Saints fans was brilliant again and why not make money out of having the old firm in Perth it didn't effect the performance of our team one jot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also browsing their post match efforts and there are recurring themes in every post -

1. The pitch was abysmal. Yeah it was, but given Dens was flooded, lucky the game was on and if they’re expecting carpets from now to the end of the season they’re in trouble. Ibrox, Easter Road, etc. Are all as bad. 
 

2. Madden was against them. Total nonsense, he was shocking by and large for saints. The one main gripe is McCarts tackle on Forrest, they want a red. It’s as clear a yellow card as you’ll see, he wasn’t high, two footed or out of control. 
 

3. They seem annoyed that various media sources states that saints deserved a reply or played well. According to them, they dominated everything. Anyone with eyes could see we had chances, maybe not ones as good but certainly on another day could have scored. 
 

Either way, saints played well and in tough conditions (for both teams I might add!). Not going to lie though, I Thought it was maybe the time where someone beat them, I’d wager it’s possibly the closest in a quarterfinal. Credit where credit is due it’s a hell of a run and actually Neil Lennon is pretty gracious about things. The swagger and arrogance our youngsters have against both Glasgow teams is really beginning to show and they’re not scared of anyone now. Ali McCann showed today he can also play through balls with ease, so unlucky May wasn’t half a yard quicker or Forster was wiping him out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Widge said:

I don’t get this still, 3 stands and empty seats yet there’s still people in Perth willing to put them in the main stand. It’s going to end up with someone getting a proper doing in and it’s happened twice now in successive weeks. 

B1EAEE9B-0C3E-44C7-9174-6F70C26DFF60.jpeg

This, plus having both sets of fans having to walk through each other to leave the ground/get to their buses, is also an issue.

Especially since both Celtic and Rangers fans feel the need to try and goad opposition fans after the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

This, plus having both sets of fans having to walk through each other to leave the ground/get to their buses, is also an issue.

Especially since both Celtic and Rangers fans feel the need to try and goad opposition fans after the match.

Yup, totally correct. Wasn’t so bad yesterday cause Celtic fans had gotten what they wanted and their team had won. The rangers game was a different story, there were several near kick offs for sure. Problem is, I’m not sure how you stop that, bar holding fans back and given saints fans are all in the main stand, you knew the police would say it should be us. 
 

That being said, it’s the one part of this “trial” that needs addressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good performance yesterday from the entire team. Was a really enjoyable game to watch. Gutted is just an understatement. Shows what we can do against the ugly sisters when we don't just sit back and get in amongst them and prevent them from playing their game. Drey Wright was the standout for me. Played Greg Taylor off the park and was getting forward himself. Could of been so different on another day. Shows the change in form from the humping we got at the start of the season. The May chance was the a big moment. Brilliant ball through and I feel May should of just launched himself at it, take the challenge, but that's me just being picky. Lets bring carry on this form in the league with a win against the fakes on Wednesday. COYS!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Widge said:

Yup, totally correct. Wasn’t so bad yesterday cause Celtic fans had gotten what they wanted and their team had won. The rangers game was a different story, there were several near kick offs for sure. Problem is, I’m not sure how you stop that, bar holding fans back and given saints fans are all in the main stand, you knew the police would say it should be us. 
 

That being said, it’s the one part of this “trial” that needs addressed. 

Yes I agree 100% about the funnelling out of the ground after the game. It wasn't so intimidating yesterday as after the Rangers game but if we beat either of these teams you better believe there will be serious issues and some poor fans are going to get caught up in a fracas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Widge said:

Also browsing their post match efforts and there are recurring themes in every post -

1. The pitch was abysmal. Yeah it was, but given Dens was flooded, lucky the game was on and if they’re expecting carpets from now to the end of the season they’re in trouble. Ibrox, Easter Road, etc. Are all as bad. 
 

2. Madden was against them. Total nonsense, he was shocking by and large for saints. The one main gripe is McCarts tackle on Forrest, they want a red. It’s as clear a yellow card as you’ll see, he wasn’t high, two footed or out of control. 
 

3. They seem annoyed that various media sources states that saints deserved a reply or played well. According to them, they dominated everything. Anyone with eyes could see we had chances, maybe not ones as good but certainly on another day could have scored. 
 

Either way, saints played well and in tough conditions (for both teams I might add!). Not going to lie though, I Thought it was maybe the time where someone beat them, I’d wager it’s possibly the closest in a quarterfinal. Credit where credit is due it’s a hell of a run and actually Neil Lennon is pretty gracious about things. The swagger and arrogance our youngsters have against both Glasgow teams is really beginning to show and they’re not scared of anyone now. Ali McCann showed today he can also play through balls with ease, so unlucky May wasn’t half a yard quicker or Forster was wiping him out. 

Para 3. It's the Buckie before the game to blame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ss75990 said:

Really good performance yesterday from the entire team. Was a really enjoyable game to watch. Gutted is just an understatement. Shows what we can do against the ugly sisters when we don't just sit back and get in amongst them and prevent them from playing their game. Drey Wright was the standout for me. Played Greg Taylor off the park and was getting forward himself. Could of been so different on another day. Shows the change in form from the humping we got at the start of the season. The May chance was the a big moment. Brilliant ball through and I feel May should of just launched himself at it, take the challenge, but that's me just being picky. Lets bring carry on this form in the league with a win against the fakes on Wednesday. COYS!!!

May still a bit short on sharpness & it was late in the match & he probably didn't have much left in the tank. I also think his injuries are still in the back of his mind. He was a tad away from flicking it past the goalie but don't think he should have launched himself at it. He may have won the ball but not control of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed that game, tho not ultimate result

Went hoping Saints would put up decent performance and competitive to the end - got that in spades

Thought weekend was ours Liverpool, Rangers and Celtic all losing in same weekend - surely not...

and when we were getting wee breaks and Zander saves in 2nd half started to believe we were going to nick it 1-0 and even heard a few fans around me saying similar.

Tanser did well and restricted Forrest - not as prominent as usual, was a wee bit worried when saw Tanser was starting.

Drey Wright was superb at right wing back .

McCart is a great signing, bringing the best out of Gordon and Kerr, hopefully he and Rooney can become the Davidson/MacKay signings of this era.

Edouard only had the one clear chance and thankfully put it over the bar - defence rugged in Fraser Wright style, much more like it.

I was really impressed with this young team, Tommy has finally got them on an upward curve, things can only get better.

When was last time we had such a young team without lots grizzled veterans?

had my 2 x 10 year old nephews at game and both really enjoyed it especialy that Saints had great battle and very nearly got a result - proper Scottish cup tie...

Much more like it at McDiarmid, need to maintain that type display against all comers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Widge said:

I don’t get this still, 3 stands and empty seats yet there’s still people in Perth willing to put them in the main stand. It’s going to end up with someone getting a proper doing in and it’s happened twice now in successive weeks. 

B1EAEE9B-0C3E-44C7-9174-6F70C26DFF60.jpeg

Why if identified they were not thrown out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...