Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

39 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Why would they put it on the web if they were maybe still in discussions with him? 

You are like an old broken gramophone with your posts on the website:shock:

If that is the case why not inform the fans .

2 hours ago, Brian Potter said:

Yeah, I don't think he was keen to extend before corona happened. Thought it might have given us a chance to keep him if we'd made him a decent offer.

We can't compete with Bristol Rovers ect... so I won't lose any sleep over it.

I'm hoping we go 3-5-2 with Rooney on the right.

I prefer a back 4

If he doesn’t want to sign then fine move on and I’m sure we will find a replacement just as good and perhaps one who might actually score a goal. He put in a fine cross sometimes but how many goals did he contribute, I think was it one. Poor for one who was a higher earner.

1 hour ago, akuram said:

If he doesn’t want to sign then fine move on and I’m sure we will find a replacement just as good and perhaps one who might actually score a goal. He put in a fine cross sometimes but how many goals did he contribute, I think was it one. Poor for one who was a higher earner.

Aye.

before this virus shit happened chances of him resigning seemed remote. Didn’t expect him to stay around then or now.

I know these are uncertain times, but to be asked to take a ‘brutal’ pay cut when papers report you are keen to stay doesn’t seem very forward thinking to me. This was probably Saints’s best chance to hold on to Drey ... most players I would imagine wouldn’t want to take a chance moving clubs at this time..
We will probably never know the true story... you would think after supporting  Drey through his injury it would be worth holding on to him for at least one more season.. ah well that’s football I suppose!?

Some stuff been put on the Saints Facebook page, with the CEO being the target for some.  One story saying that Drey was wanting a contract extension months ago and offered a £1000 a week cut in his wage. Saints finally offered him a contract 48 hours prior to his contract ending  with a 50% reduction. Which would have put him on less than Liam and Kane. 

Now this suggests he has been on significantly more than £2k a week, which if true is vastly overpaid and good on saints for not signing up at such over priced figures. There will as a result of the pandemic be loads of players who like Drey when he came was looking for the opportunity to rebuild his career, 

Honestly he is not really irreplaceable.  Lots of potentially just as good or better players will be gagging for a wage come the start of the season, whenever that is.

Even at the moment you have the the likes of Jonny Hayes, who sounds like he just wants regular football could be tempted for the same money.

Lets face it going forward, footballers valuation of themselves will not be met.

21 hours ago, mainstand said:

Why would they put it on the web if they were maybe still in discussions with him? 

You are like an old broken gramophone with your posts on the website:shock:

Do you accept the fact he is going now & OS are slow in communicating with fans.

As others have said, given the choice I’d have kept Wright purely for entertainment value, some of his flicks and tricks were superb and his work rate was excellent.

However, his output in terms of stats was non-existent and isn’t exactly a loss. It may be that he’s replaced by a less exciting player, but one who puts the ball in the net every so often and as such contributes more to the team. Did I like Drey Wright, absolutely I’d go as far as saying I’m possibly one of his biggest fans and I’ll be sad to see him go, but in this instance saints decision and stance is very much justified.

All of this speculation about offering a new deal and lambasting the board is very amusing. Tommy Wright stated ages ago that they were trying to open talks with Wright's agent who wouldn't speak with them. This offer to him 48 hours before his deal runs out sounds like saints saying "here take it or leave it" as he and his agent had been unwilling to compromise or agree prior. Lets face it, his stats put don't put him anywhere near the top of our wage budget and in a way I'm glad he's going as it'll mean a fairer spread of the wages throughout the squad. As I said previously I'd have loved to have kept him, but not at the wage he wanted. These are unprecedented times for football as a whole, you just need to look at the likes of Livingston losing their best player for nothing in Lawless, even Celtic are releasing guys who'd I'm sure they'd have held onto if non of this had happened. Scottish football is going to be a very different place next year and despite not having a manager we pretty much have a full squad capable of winning games, plenty of other teams cannot say that. 

44 minutes ago, Widge said:

As others have said, given the choice I’d have kept Wright purely for entertainment value, some of his flicks and tricks were superb and his work rate was excellent.

However, his output in terms of stats was non-existent and isn’t exactly a loss. It may be that he’s replaced by a less exciting player, but one who puts the ball in the net every so often and as such contributes more to the team. Did I like Drey Wright, absolutely I’d go as far as saying I’m possibly one of his biggest fans and I’ll be sad to see him go, but in this instance saints decision and stance is very much justified.

All of this speculation about offering a new deal and lambasting the board is very amusing. Tommy Wright stated ages ago that they were trying to open talks with Wright's agent who wouldn't speak with them. This offer to him 48 hours before his deal runs out sounds like saints saying "here take it or leave it" as he and his agent had been unwilling to compromise or agree prior. Lets face it, his stats put don't put him anywhere near the top of our wage budget and in a way I'm glad he's going as it'll mean a fairer spread of the wages throughout the squad. As I said previously I'd have loved to have kept him, but not at the wage he wanted. These are unprecedented times for football as a whole, you just need to look at the likes of Livingston losing their best player for nothing in Lawless, even Celtic are releasing guys who'd I'm sure they'd have held onto if non of this had happened. Scottish football is going to be a very different place next year and despite not having a manager we pretty much have a full squad capable of winning games, plenty of other teams cannot say that. 

I agree dude

16 hours ago, Cagey said:

Now that Wright has gone I would have liked us to sign Lawless but he would be outwith our wage limit. Wanted us to sign him when he left Partick but got pelters on here.

Why would Lawless be outwith our wage limit? A few years ago he was released by a club that was relegated and picked up by the club who pays the lowest (or second lowest) wages in the SPL, I doubt he was on a wage any near Wright's.

If we're playing 5-3-2, with no wingers. I'd be happy with a centre midfielder (Holt or Butcher) and a centre back - perhaps Dikamona from Hearts or Lamie from Livi. Del Fabro at Killie has been excellent, but I imagine is on a huge wage at Juventus.

I've always been impressed by Slivka, who has been released by Hibs too.

It's really difficult to tell what our bargaining position is. We'll be offering low wages, but so will everyone. Players will be desperate to have a club.It could be the chance to pick up some players who would otherwise be outwith our resources. 

16 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I see St Mirren as well as Livi the other day have announced a raft of players leaving. Our squad is looking better by the day. Both of these clubs will have a rebuild job on the cards 

I think Livi still have a decent squad although lost a few decent players.

15 minutes ago, Cagey said:

If you don't mind I will still be critical if my club are not keeping us up to date .

In a time where everybody is working from home, the vast majority of St Johnstone staff are being furloughed and are not allowed to work, let's not mention the global pandemic and frankly more pressing concerns for the club, such as surviving all this. You'll forgive me for telling you to get a grip and some perspective, the fact they're not updating you every minute of every day should be the least of your worries. If you're a St Johnstone fan, you'll be thankful you still have a club after this, as a lot of fans possibly wont be able to say that.

Now give it a rest and deal with the fact there's other things going on at the club right now and a press release every day isn't going to happen! There's bigger things at play that telling you each and every detail from the club.