Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

7 hours ago, saintgscot said:

I may be wrong but has Callum Hendry signed a contract or not. Because according to this only person going out of contract now with saints is hendry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52789470?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland&link_location=live-reporting-story

I've been complaining about that article for months and they never change it.

The BBC themselves have an article about him extending his deal in January. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51333746#:~:text=St Johnstone have also confirmed,while now%2C" he said.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I've been complaining about that article for months and they never change it.

The BBC themselves have an article about him extending his deal in January. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51333746#:~:text=St Johnstone have also confirmed,while now%2C" he said.

Saints actually for once have valuable assets tied down to decent length of contracts.

Kerr, McCann and Hendry would all command a decent fee as is, never mind with another good season behind them.

McCann in particular has all the attributes teams all over Europe would look for.

I think post Covid, clubs in England might be more inclined to look north for players, due to a combination of tighter finances and if this continues a bit longer, I could see ayers less inclined to want to leave continental Europe if there is repeating lockdowns. 

46 minutes ago, tucker said:

Loosing Drey,Matty and Swanson leaves us with limited options on the wing.hopeful the manager has some funds to help out in the area,we have spoony,MOH and tanser who could all play there but still need an out and out winger sometimes

A couple of the youths might help out but don't think any of them are winger or fast.

I agree that we need a decent winger & a midfield enforcer.

31 minutes ago, Linky said:

Well, the Chairman has said that we won’t be signing any players. In fact, he thinks our threadbare squad is already too big!

God you should have known by now that what the chairman says and what he does in the transfer market are 2 different things. 

If someone comes along that they really want he might find the money. 

4 hours ago, mainstand said:

God you should have known by now that what the chairman says and what he does in the transfer market are 2 different things. 

If someone comes along that they really want he might find the money. 

I fully expect us to bring in a wide man to replace Drey. 

wouldn’t be hugely surprised to see another central player as well, with Holt’s loan expiring. 

5 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I fully expect us to bring in a wide man to replace Drey. 

wouldn’t be hugely surprised to see another central player as well, with Holt’s loan expiring. 

possibly but he might wait until January, and i think there is some views being expressed that they might need to change the transfer window this season, so will look for some reassurance taht we are not going to go back into a 2 or 3 month lockdown if second wave hits before making a move. Got to consider that clubs have had 80% of wages covered plus Non Domestic Rates relief would they get either of these in wave 2? 

39 minutes ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

Steve Robinson has already signed 3 with 2 more to follow this week but the posters on here want us to wait until January. 

We have a decent squad. Most of the guys that have left were not involved for most of the season. Even Drey missed a chunk of the season & took a while to get up to speed.

I have said previously that we may need a winger & midfielder but like mainstand I don't think we will make a signing untill January

13 hours ago, Linky said:

Well, the Chairman has said that we won’t be signing any players. In fact, he thinks our threadbare squad is already too big!

He comes out with that during every single transfer window though, right?

Whoever the new manager is, I really hope they're equipped to handle this tiresome dance with the chairman played out in public every single time they want to strengthen the squad. I imagine it wore Tommy Wright down quite a lot in the end.

55 minutes ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

Steve Robinson has already signed 3 with 2 more to follow this week but the posters on here want us to wait until January. 

Motherwell need to make signings. They have lost 7 players & 3 loanees.

13 hours ago, Linky said:

Threadbare? :shock:

We've got a squad which could put out 2 decent teams...that'll be miles ahead of most of the other teams in our part of the league.   

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

He comes out with that during every single transfer window though, right?

Whoever the new manager is, I really hope they're equipped to handle this tiresome dance with the chairman played out in public every single time they want to strengthen the squad. I imagine it wore Tommy Wright down quite a lot in the end.

This is it. The Chairman plays these games, and it doesn't do the club any favours. I imagine it was a factor in Tommy leaving. "There's no money for signings", then we sign 3 players. I've known managers (I don't mean in football) do this before, and it's about control. You want to show people that you are so much in control that you can say one thing & do the other, without any conversation with anyone else. You're untouchable, you're bullet-proof. I think in the last few years there was a power struggle between Steve & Tommy, and Steve wanted to show Tommy that he was an employee, and that Steve was the big chief who could change his mind in an instant and do whatever he likes. I've seen it before and it causes a toxic working environment.

1 hour ago, Papa Jack said:

Threadbare? :shock:

We've got a squad which could put out 2 decent teams...that'll be miles ahead of most of the other teams in our part of the league.   

Are you happy to go through the season with a total of 5 senior midfielders, only 1 who is a left-winger & only 1 who is a right-winger?

We have 17 senior players (not including those under 20). I'm not sure how you can put out 2 decent teams with that. Four key players have left and haven't been replaced (Wright, Holt, Butcher, Kennedy).

I start to wonder if some folk didn't watch Tommy's "leaving" interview:roll:

Another relatively decent season, Ach let's blame Steve anyway eh:confused: Some peoples "agenda's" on here bore me to tears tbh.

Moaning for the sake of moaning but aye it's a forum and it's all about opinions etc etc etc

I do genuinely wonder sometimes reading stuff on here why some folk "support" Saints

...apart from giving them something to moan (sorry, debate) about of course:mrgreen:

3 hours ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

Do you have a love in with Robinson now?? That;s 3 different threads where we are suppose to be changing what we are doing as the great Robinson has done something:laugh: Maybe we should be after him s manager

30 minutes ago, Linky said:

Are you happy to go through the season with a total of 5 senior midfielders, only 1 who is a left-winger & only 1 who is a right-winger?

We have 17 senior players (not including those under 20). I'm not sure how you can put out 2 decent teams with that. Four key players have left and haven't been replaced (Wright, Holt, Butcher, Kennedy).

The comment about not including Under 20's is part of the problem though. Are you saying we should have a squad of (say) 20 senior players plus 6/7 under 20's who have already played senior football? That's just not sustainable.

I think in terms of numbers, it's not far away from where it needs to be. Ideally, 3/4 young ones out, couple of senior ones in and that's us. As I say, that's not bad for the middle of June.