Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

4 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

The comment about not including Under 20's is part of the problem though. Are you saying we should have a squad of (say) 20 senior players plus 6/7 under 20's who have already played senior football? That's just not sustainable.

I think in terms of numbers, it's not far away from where it needs to be. Ideally, 3/4 young ones out, couple of senior ones in and that's us. As I say, that's not bad for the middle of June. 

I agree completely. I'd say we need 2 players. However, I don't think we could put out 2 decent teams (22 players, plus 10 subs!) which is what you suggested. I'm not for doom & gloom. We have a great squad, it just needs a few additions. That's not helped by a Chairman saying it's too big as it is.

46 minutes ago, Linky said:

This is it. The Chairman plays these games, and it doesn't do the club any favours. I imagine it was a factor in Tommy leaving. "There's no money for signings", then we sign 3 players. I've known managers (I don't mean in football) do this before, and it's about control. You want to show people that you are so much in control that you can say one thing & do the other, without any conversation with anyone else. You're untouchable, you're bullet-proof. I think in the last few years there was a power struggle between Steve & Tommy, and Steve wanted to show Tommy that he was an employee, and that Steve was the big chief who could change his mind in an instant and do whatever he likes. I've seen it before and it causes a toxic working environment.

Feels like I'm picking on you with these posts Linky  :wink:

I think it's interesting that we, as supporters, talk about power struggles, controlling leadership, poor atmosphere and toxic environments....how does that square with the fact that pretty much every level of employee stays at saints for many years, signs new contracts, comes back after being away? 

1 minute ago, Linky said:

I agree completely. I'd say we need 2 players. However, I don't think we could put out 2 decent teams (22 players, plus 10 subs!) which is what you suggested. I'm not for doom & gloom. We have a great squad, it just needs a few additions. That's not helped by a Chairman saying it's too big as it is.

You knew what I meant when I said teams....for your clarity, I meant 2 x 11 players. :wink:

31 minutes ago, McCarry One Nil said:

I start to wonder if some folk didn't watch Tommy's "leaving" interview:roll:

Another relatively decent season, Ach let's blame Steve anyway eh:confused: Some peoples "agenda's" on here bore me to tears tbh.

Moaning for the sake of moaning but aye it's a forum and it's all about opinions etc etc etc

I do genuinely wonder sometimes reading stuff on here why some folk "support" Saints

...apart from giving them something to moan (sorry, debate) about of course:mrgreen:

I think we've had a great season all things considered. We have a brilliant young squad. I give plenty of positives on here, when it's due.

I did watch Tommy's leaving interview & have watched the relationship between Chairman & Manager deteriorate for quite a while now. I'm not quite sure why criticising the Chairman should mean that I shouldn't support the club I first went to see as a 7 year-old.

Feels like I'm picking on you with these posts Linky  :wink:

I think it's interesting that we, as supporters, talk about power struggles, controlling leadership, poor atmosphere and toxic environments....how does that square with the fact that pretty much every level of employee stays at saints for many years, signs new contracts, comes back after being away? 

Not at all - if a debate is put politely then it's worth having!

That's a good point. Wouldn't you suggest that a lot of the comments coming from Tommy & the Chairman over the last year point to a different story?

Say you're applying for a job at a new company: the person in your job before you left suddenly (for one reason or another), this person had some quite public disagreements with his 'boss', this 'boss' has come out saying you'll get no new resources and actually you've probably got too many resources as it is, he then says that the company you're applying to join is hardly a big player. Wouldn't this give you second thoughts about applying for the job?

You knew what I meant when I said teams....for your clarity, I meant 2 x 11 players. :wink:

Fair enough. I still think we are 2 or 3 players short. This is a better place than many clubs though. Maybe 'threadbare' was an exaggeration, but the fact that our Chairman thinks that we could get through with 11 (whether it's a joke or not) is baffling.

2 hours ago, Linky said:

This is it. The Chairman plays these games, and it doesn't do the club any favours. I imagine it was a factor in Tommy leaving. "There's no money for signings", then we sign 3 players. I've known managers (I don't mean in football) do this before, and it's about control. You want to show people that you are so much in control that you can say one thing & do the other, without any conversation with anyone else. You're untouchable, you're bullet-proof. I think in the last few years there was a power struggle between Steve & Tommy, and Steve wanted to show Tommy that he was an employee, and that Steve was the big chief who could change his mind in an instant and do whatever he likes. I've seen it before and it causes a toxic working environment.

Steve is the big chief & that's the way it should be.

The Browns have guided this club through some hard times & built a sustainable club that has been in top league for 10 years & maybe the only club that doesn't rely on gate receipts for survival.

I would venture to say we are probably the most sustainable club in premiership. Hibs for example are cutting back their squad & wages & they are not alone.

The communication & website are still shyte though:razz:.

2 hours ago, McCarry One Nil said:

Another relatively decent season, Ach let's blame Steve anyway eh:confused: Some peoples "agenda's" on here bore me to tears tbh.

Moaning for the sake of moaning but aye it's a forum and it's all about opinions etc etc etc

I do genuinely wonder sometimes reading stuff on here why some folk "support" Saints

...apart from giving them something to moan (sorry, debate) about of course:mrgreen:

We can all moan at times, but think you sum it up perfectly.

Spot on my friend.

I pay my money,I’ll moan if I want to,don’t need happy clappers telling me different,John,stick to music :cool::wub:

5 hours ago, Cagey said:

Steve is the big chief & that's the way it should be.

The Browns have guided this club through some hard times & built a sustainable club that has been in top league for 10 years & maybe the only club that doesn't rely on gate receipts for survival.

I would venture to say we are probably the most sustainable club in premiership. Hibs for example are cutting back their squad & wages & they are not alone.

The communication & website are still shyte though:razz:.

Totally agree

On 6/10/2020 at 10:12 PM, Pat McGroin said:

you’d think he’ll be “on holiday” now that his ICT contract has finished and he will do his press stuff when Pre Season starts. 

I’d guess our contacts are designed to officially start on day 1 of the pre-Covid Pre-season training schedule.

We won’t pay new players for them to sun themselves in Tenerife for 2 weeks. 

Nailed it.

A Torquay fan on twitter is claiming we've signed Jamie Reid.

25yo striker/winger who scored 18 goals for them last season in the Conference, and over 30 the season before in the 6th tier.

Linked with Huddersfield in January. 

Absolutely no idea how genuine it is, but it seems a random thing for a Torquay fan to joke about, and the Torquay manager says he rejected their offer of a new deal to "take a risk".

I saw Reid play for Torquay at National League South Level, the season before last - from what I can remember he likes to try pot shots from all ranges/angles (a bit like Stevie May during his first spell with us). He was pretty prolific at that level, but no idea if he's good enough for the step up. I know there's been quite a bit of talk linking him to League One and Two sides down south.