Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Drey Wright having a Medical at Easter Rd apparently. 

Strange,signing for a team with no money & cutting players wages. Must be getting more than Saints offered him. Won't go down well with players getting pay cut.

Must be hoping they will get money for Boyle. Stoke wanting to sign a road runner that can't cross a ball. Mind you Wright is the perfect like for like replacement.

Not bothered about a player from Torquay.  Nice place. But Basil Faulty. Said it previously that Saints would have a management team in place within 10 days. SB may have his detractors, but you can't have a club without management. Interesting if McLean can give Kane a few tips. And hendry. And May. Nice juxtaposition of defense & attack coaches. Feel a bit sorry for Cleland,  but life is life. I reckon we'll go for 2 players, winger & midfielder. 

If we're brining in 2 or 3 I'd imagine that would be a centre-back, centre-midfield and a winger (who can play both sides), but it depends what system he is playing. He may want 2 wingers. I imagine we'll be signing players from the lower leagues in England who we've never heard of, but Davidson has seen in his time down there.

26 minutes ago, Linky said:

If we're brining in 2 or 3 I'd imagine that would be a centre-back, centre-midfield and a winger (who can play both sides), but it depends what system he is playing. He may want 2 wingers. I imagine we'll be signing players from the lower leagues in England who we've never heard of, but Davidson has seen in his time down there.

I'm sure there's bound to be players released by clubs in Scotland who would be desperate to sign for Saints.

However, I'll let Callum do his job.

13 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

I'm sure there's bound to be players released by clubs in Scotland who would be desperate to sign for Saints.

However, I'll let Callum do his job.

I don't doubt that, I just think Davidson will already have in mind players he would like to sign from England. 

On 6/29/2020 at 12:32 AM, mainstand said:

That was what they were wanting as unless they allow that it makes the testing pointless. 

No it doesn't.  Players need to reach at least 80% match fitness before contact training, otherwise they risk injuries. Give them hell up kinnoull hill for a week & they'll be right

7 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

No it doesn't.  Players need to reach at least 80% match fitness before contact training, otherwise they risk injuries. Give them hell up kinnoull hill for a week & they'll be right

To be fair with the fact that players were doing a programme involving a 5k run most days, they probably came back 80% of required fitness. Full contact training just means bigger sessions with no need for physical distancing. Interesting that Livi and Hamilton both decided to hold off on a return to training until full contact training was permitted.

22 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Gogic, Shaughnessy or McGinn(Stephen) of any interest to Saints.

No. Shaughnessy didn't want to sign a good contract . Wouldn't think he would sign a much reduced contract.

Another player who thought the grass was greener.

Has there ever been a player who has left Saints & gone on to bigger & better things ?.

Edited by Cagey

14 hours ago, Cagey said:

No. Shaughnessy didn't want to sign a good contract . Wouldn't think he would sign a much reduced contract.

Another player who thought the grass was greener.

Has there ever been a player who has left Saints & gone on to bigger & better things ?.

He wanted to give playing in England a go so he went for it - nothing wrong with that. I'd happily take Shaughnessy back if we were in need of a defender, but under the current circumstances I can't see it.

14 hours ago, Cagey said:

As far as I can remember, every player from the Tommy era who Saints wanted to keep but decided to take a bigger contract elsewhere, went on to have a pretty bad time of it (and in many cases end up back with us). Craig, Swanson, O'Halloran, May etc. Other than Marcus Maddison, who never played for our first team, the last players I can think of who really went on to do significantly better for themselves are Jason Scotland and Stephen Dobbie.

20 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

As far as I can remember, every player from the Tommy era who Saints wanted to keep but decided to take a bigger contract elsewhere, went on to have a pretty bad time of it

Players who spring straight to mind are Hasselbaink and Tade, and even then it's not exactly scintillating success theyve had since then, simply the fact theyve moved to large clubs in foreign countries.

Cant even remember in what terms they left the club.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Players who spring straight to mind are Hasselbaink and Tade, and even then it's not exactly scintillating success theyve had since then, simply the fact theyve moved to large clubs in foreign countries.

Trade apparently agreed to sign a new contract. but had a change of heart when offered better terms to go abroad (Romania I think).  Don't think wee Nigel was offered a new deal which was a real shame. 

If Davidson is going to play 5-2-3, in terms of defence we just need someone fairly cheap who can be back up at centre back and right back. Perhaps a younger player or someone on loan.

Any money we have for wages needs to be spent on a winger who can play left and right. At the moment we only have Wotherspoon & O'Halloran in those positions. We also need a centre midfielder who can be back-up, again perhaps on loan (Butcher?). I always thought Slyvka just released from Hibs was good, but he would've been on a decent wage.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Very true, forgot about those two. Tommy was pretty annoyed by Tade's departure at the time.