Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

22 hours ago, Linky said:

If Davidson is going to play 5-2-3, in terms of defence we just need someone fairly cheap who can be back up at centre back and right back. Perhaps a younger player or someone on loan.

Any money we have for wages needs to be spent on a winger who can play left and right. At the moment we only have Wotherspoon & O'Halloran in those positions. We also need a centre midfielder who can be back-up, again perhaps on loan (Butcher?). I always thought Slyvka just released from Hibs was good, but he would've been on a decent wage.

Not so sure we do need a winger if we play 523, which I prefer to call 343 just because it's more positive. Tanser and Rooney are essentially defenders and wingers when needed in that system. It's when we change to 442 that we may need more options. I think Spoony and MOH are more than capable tbh, especially in these times when heavy losses will be recorded. Saints need to spend really wisely, if at all.

1 hour ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Not so sure we do need a winger if we play 523, which I prefer to call 343 just because it's more positive. Tanser and Rooney are essentially defenders and wingers when needed in that system. It's when we change to 442 that we may need more options. I think Spoony and MOH are more than capable tbh, especially in these times when heavy losses will be recorded. Saints need to spend really wisely, if at all.

Surely Wotherspoon and O'Halloran are the wingers either side of May in the 3 part of the 523? Davidson has said already that May does too much and he wants him to focus on just scoring again. Wotherspoon and O'Halloran are very capable, but they need back-up. Who would play those positions when they're injured? I'd say May could move to the left and Hendry in the middle, but we'd still need back-up on the right. I'd suggest, in reality O'Halloran is more of an impact sub anyway.

35 minutes ago, Linky said:

Surely Wotherspoon and O'Halloran are the wingers either side of May in the 3 part of the 523? Davidson has said already that May does too much and he wants him to focus on just scoring again. Wotherspoon and O'Halloran are very capable, but they need back-up. Who would play those positions when they're injured? I'd say May could move to the left and Hendry in the middle, but we'd still need back-up on the right. I'd suggest, in reality O'Halloran is more of an impact sub anyway.

I hope that's not the plan. From what I saw of us last season we were at our best when May and Hendry were played together in a front two. It took Tommy a while to go with it but when he did it really worked.

O'Halloran I hope will be much more than an impact sub. He had a bit of a stop-start season last time but I think with Wright, Kennedy and Swanson now all gone there's a big opportunity for him to return to his best and be a key player for us again.

50 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I hope that's not the plan. From what I saw of us last season we were at our best when May and Hendry were played together in a front two. It took Tommy a while to go with it but when he did it really worked.

O'Halloran I hope will be much more than an impact sub. He had a bit of a stop-start season last time but I think with Wright, Kennedy and Swanson now all gone there's a big opportunity for him to return to his best and be a key player for us again.

Maybe...either way we've lost Wright, Swanson & Kennedy as attacking midfielders/wingers. I'm amazed people don't think at least one player needs to come in to replace them. Can we really play a front 3 of May, Hendry & MOH with just Kane & Wotherspoon as back-up for those positions?

11 minutes ago, Linky said:

Can we really play a front 3 of May, Hendry & MOH with just Kane & Wotherspoon as back-up for those positions?

I think in these times 5 players for 3 places is not a bad ratio. Those 5 will do. CD will always have his other formation to fall back on.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Maybe...either way we've lost Wright, Swanson & Kennedy as attacking midfielders/wingers. I'm amazed people don't think at least one player needs to come in to replace them. Can we really play a front 3 of May, Hendry & MOH with just Kane & Wotherspoon as back-up for those positions?

I think most on here have said we need a winger & midfielder .

3 hours ago, Johnny B said:

I think in these times 5 players for 3 places is not a bad ratio. Those 5 will do. CD will always have his other formation to fall back on.

Not sure. Those 5 players aren't interchangeable. May, Kane & Hendry can play in the centre, but not Wotherspoon or MOH. I'd suggest only Wotherspoon and May can play on the left, and probably only MOH on the right. I imagine those who are on either side of the main striker are essentially winger who will push quite far forward. I may be wrong and we might play all 3 centrally I suppose.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:49 AM, blueheaven said:

He wanted to give playing in England a go so he went for it - nothing wrong with that. I'd happily take Shaughnessy back if we were in need of a defender, but under the current circumstances I can't see it.

As far as I can remember, every player from the Tommy era who Saints wanted to keep but decided to take a bigger contract elsewhere, went on to have a pretty bad time of it (and in many cases end up back with us). Craig, Swanson, O'Halloran, May etc. Other than Marcus Maddison, who never played for our first team, the last players I can think of who really went on to do significantly better for themselves are Jason Scotland and Stephen Dobbie.

I have had a wee think of who in the past have gone on to better things.

Paddy Buckley to Aberdeen

John Connolly to Everton

Gordon Smith to Aston Villa.

Jim Pearson to Everton 

Alex McDonsld to Rangers

Callum Davidson to Blackburn.

Michael O'Halloran to Rangers(debatable).

There must be more.

33 minutes ago, Cagey said:

John Connolly to Everton

Jim Pearson to Everton 

Alex McDonsld to Rangers

There must be more.

Paul Hartley, John O’Neil... both capped after leaving Saints. 

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

John Connolly to Everton

Jim Pearson to Everton 

Alex McDonsld to Rangers

There must be more.

Sally McCoist didn’t do too bad.

Callum mentioned in an article that he was waiting for transfer window to open. I thought it was as Rangers have signed 3 and some Saints fan is ranting about the number of signings Motherwell have made & we signed none.

Have checked and there is a Scotsman article saying Uefa say window must be closed by 5th October and be open for 12 weeks meaning it opens on 13th July.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Callum mentioned in an article that he was waiting for transfer window to open. I thought it was as Rangers have signed 3 and some Saints fan is ranting about the number of signings Motherwell have made & we signed none.

Have checked and there is a Scotsman article saying Uefa say window must be closed by 5th October and be open for 12 weeks meaning it opens on 13th July.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-hibs-transfer-window-dates-18394134

Article claims the window opened on June 10th.

3 hours ago, Cagey said:

I think they updated that on 18 June asking each association to set a standard deadline of 5 October. Changed their mind from having a different closedown depending on what happened to the league last season. 

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

They never opened it at that point and from what I can see are set to delay it until 13 July as cagey says due to the 12 week deadline. 

Edited by mainstand