Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

Think Callum has a right problem on his hands, in sense of transfer strategy. Hendry is one that excites me- bit of a McCoist. Not got height, but knows where the net is. I'd like him to get more starts. Stevie is a strange one. Not a winger, i don't think he's a main striker. He's best suited inbetween. MOH isn't a striker. I think we need a creative midfielder + winger. Problem for CD is he's got a lot of options. Does he go for experience or youth? There will be some talented kids released. And some 31 yr olds. Personally,  I prefer a 4-4-2. May in a free role, Hendry up front. Just need a midfielder,  because Muzz gets stuffed every season, Craig isn't getting younger. I also think SB has appointed the best coaching staff. Rooney will be great, McCart is class. Just that midfield....

8 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Think Callum has a right problem on his hands, in sense of transfer strategy. Hendry is one that excites me- bit of a McCoist. Not got height, but knows where the net is. I'd like him to get more starts. Stevie is a strange one. Not a winger, i don't think he's a main striker. He's best suited inbetween. MOH isn't a striker. I think we need a creative midfielder + winger. Problem for CD is he's got a lot of options. Does he go for experience or youth? There will be some talented kids released. And some 31 yr olds. Personally,  I prefer a 4-4-2. May in a free role, Hendry up front. Just need a midfielder,  because Muzz gets stuffed every season, Craig isn't getting younger. I also think SB has appointed the best coaching staff. Rooney will be great, McCart is class. Just that midfield....

I mean a lot of that paragraph is wrong.

Hendry isn't exactly small, he must be pushing 6 foot, McCoist was about 5'7! He wins a lot of headers and has scored numerous last season.

Stevie May whilst not being the same goalscorer he was, has shown that if he sticks to playing between the penalty box lines will score goals. I'll agree playing him wide isn't going to work, but he should be played high up the pitch as a main or secondary striker, not as some sort of deep lying link up man.

I don't think we've played a standard 4-4-2 for seasons now. Also what's the obsession with people wanting it, when the players we have available don't fit the system. The system in place should be the one which allows your best players in the squad to all play. Right now that's a 5-3-2, especially since we don't have any wingers.

Davidson does not get "stuffed" every season. He has this ridiculous reputation amongst fans that he's a walking sick note. The mans played 30+ games for the last 3/4 seasons at least. He's no more or less injury prone than the likes of Spoony or Craig.

Whilst we need reinforcements, a midfield 3 of Davidson, McCann and Wotherspoon is going to compete with just about every single one in the league. Especially if Ali continues to get better and better. 

37 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I’m fairly confident we will have spoken to Lawless’ agent. He may well have better offers.

Just what we need ,left sided midfield/winger & penalty taker. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

Livingston fans reckon Lawless left them to chase a "life changing contract", so I'd be stunned if he ended up at Saints.

Motherwell apparently on the verge of paying a six figure fee for a striker, cant wait to see the meltdowns in our support once that happens...

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Livingston fans reckon Lawless left them to chase a "life changing contract", so I'd be stunned if he ended up at Saints.

Motherwell apparently on the verge of paying a six figure fee for a striker, cant wait to see the meltdowns in our support once that happens...

Lawless said that himself, pretty sure there was an interview with him

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2020/06/03/stevie-lawless-insists-time-is-right-to-gamble-as-former-livingston-winger-reveals-contract-talks/

As for Motherwell if they are willing to fork out £100k  for a 21 year old that has hardly played a first team game, oh and they are buying him form a club in administration, then they are welcome to him.

Edited by mainstand

40 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

I am now at peace with the fact that Saints take their time in the transfer market. 

How many panicked signings have paid off?

Yeah,we had lots of players spending more time in the stand than on the bench never mind the pitch.

21 hours ago, Widge said:

Whilst we need reinforcements, a midfield 3 of Davidson, McCann and Wotherspoon is going to compete with just about every single one in the league. Especially if Ali continues to get better and better. 

I'd agree with that but replace Spoony with Liam Craig - if you're playing a 3-man midfield ideally you need one as more of a holding player and Spoony isn't that type, while Muzz/Ali will more likely push forward. 

4 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

I'd agree with that but replace Spoony with Liam Craig - if you're playing a 3-man midfield ideally you need one as more of a holding player and Spoony isn't that type, while Muzz/Ali will more likely push forward. 

Unfortunately don't think Ali will be here for the duration of the season or indeed the duration of August 2020!  

12 hours ago, mainstand said:

Lawless said that himself, pretty sure there was an interview with him

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2020/06/03/stevie-lawless-insists-time-is-right-to-gamble-as-former-livingston-winger-reveals-contract-talks/

As for Motherwell if they are willing to fork out £100k  for a 21 year old that has hardly played a first team game, oh and they are buying him form a club in administration, then they are welcome to him.

Not sure how his club being in administration affects a player's ability tbh.

1 hour ago, jhq said:

Not sure how his club being in administration affects a player's ability tbh.

Read the post again the reference to administration s in respect of them paying £100k plus for him. Wigan are releasing players at present in order to get the wages off the books. 

I imagine we'll sign one player full-time (winger?), 2 loans (one centre midfielder & one centre-back) on transfer deadline day. We might, of course, be simply waiting to see if there are any offers for Ali McCann. However, I would suggest that if we waited a season or two his value would treble.

1 hour ago, bankfoot saint said:

35 years old no thanks 

Younger than Chris Burke, who scored 6 and assisted 5 for Kilmarnock last season, and almost made the leagues TOTY.

Conway can play both sides, has massive experience which is handy with a young squad, presumably won't be asking for a lot of money, and won't be around for too long to block the pathway for younger players.

I think its a good move getting him on trial to see how he looks. If he's finished you move on, but if he's not then you've got a really good option.