Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

As Eddie Howe has left Bournemouth as manager along with their relegation to the Championship that looks like putting on hold - if we were interested - of getting Matt Butcher back anytime soon.

Would imagine any new manager would want to assess players before letting any go on loan.

Pity as  thought he done well at start of year and would have been a good addition to central midfield for us.

On 7/31/2020 at 10:47 PM, Cagey said:

Jones & Kambari sticking it up to their fans by falling over themselves to join Rangers, like many before them just to fester on the bench.

These guys have the chance to massively increase their salaries, whilst potentially winning trophies and playing in Europe. Do you really expect them to turn that down? 

No footballer with any confidence in their own ability is ever going to say "Nah, I'm not going to accept that because they just want me to sit on the bench every week." They'll go into it with the attitude that it's worth taking the chance that if they do well they'll get into the team.

I seriously wonder what some fans expect of footballers sometimes.

54 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

These guys have the chance to massively increase their salaries, whilst potentially winning trophies and playing in Europe. Do you really expect them to turn that down? 

No footballer with any confidence in their own ability is ever going to say "Nah, I'm not going to accept that because they just want me to sit on the bench every week." They'll go into it with the attitude that it's worth taking the chance that if they do well they'll get into the team.

I’d be off like a shot. If I was at St Johnstone and Rangers / Celtic offered me £6k+ per week, you wouldn’t see me for dust. 

Would happily to a Gareth Bale and sit in the stands for 2 years if necessary. 

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I was more making the point that they more or less rubbished the team they were still signed for. Also highlighting the number of players whose career has stalled after signing for OF.

Yes I would join a company that offered me the best financial package. I would probably even leave Saints for a good deal as well but that was not the point I was making.

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

I was more making the point that they more or less rubbished the team they were still signed for. Also highlighting the number of players whose career has stalled after signing for OF.

Yes I would join a company that offered me the best financial package. I would probably even leave Saints for a good deal as well but that was not the point I was making.

You gotta appeal to the “them” when you sign. I’d be telling them “I’ve always been a Rangers/Celtic fan, this is a moment I’ve always dreamt of” just to get off on the right foot!

21 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

You gotta appeal to the “them” when you sign. I’d be telling them “I’ve always been a Rangers/Celtic fan, this is a moment I’ve always dreamt of” just to get off on the right foot!

Or if you are MOH

"I've always been a Celtic fan, this is a big money moment  I've always dreamt of" :laugh:

On 8/2/2020 at 4:37 PM, Pat McGroin said:

It is amazing how many of the rangers match squad cross themselves as they walk out at opposing grounds, not sure if they do it at Ibrox. Rather ironic that they cheer the player then sing about how much they hate the religion of said player. 

4 hours ago, mainstand said:

It is amazing how many of the rangers match squad cross themselves as they walk out at opposing grounds, not sure if they do it at Ibrox. Rather ironic that they cheer the player then sing about how much they hate the religion of said player. 

This isn't the place for religious debates, but crossing yourself doesn't necessarily mean that someone is Catholic. It's a universal symbol of Christianity, although it is more common amongst Roman Catholics and Orthodox believers.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:14 AM, Linky said:

This isn't the place for religious debates, but crossing yourself doesn't necessarily mean that someone is Catholic. It's a universal symbol of Christianity, although it is more common amongst Roman Catholics and Orthodox believers.

It was appropriate in the context of the conversation in appealing to the fans. Thank you for the history lesson but still don't believe many non Catholics cross themselves. 

3 hours ago, mainstand said:

It was appropriate in the context of the conversation in appealing to the fans. Thank you for the history lesson but still don't believe many non Catholics cross themselves. 

Again, irrelevant to the thread: I understand the context, just picking up on an inaccuracy. It's not really history, just a fact of modern religious practice. I can tell you - millions of non Roman Catholics across the world cross themselves.

54 minutes ago, Cagey said:

With our injury crisis & unable to fill the bench,there is no mention of Olly Hamilton. I was sure he was retained & is still on transfermarket as Saints player.

He signed a new deal in the Summer, beside Cammy Ballantyne and Jordan Northcott.

Not sure what the situation is with them, presumably have knocks if they're not in the matchday squad. Or the club are saving on testing costs by running smaller match day squads.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

He signed a new deal in the Summer, beside Cammy Ballantyne and Jordan Northcott.

Not sure what the situation is with them, presumably have knocks if they're not in the matchday squad. Or the club are saving on testing costs by running smaller match day squads.

Could still be in furlough, to save a few bob.