Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

Really hoping for a few significant signings in the next week or so,squad is struggling think Conway will be a waste of a big wage,still needing a striker midfielder and winger, McNamara looks decent think the other two will be bench players at best, everyone else seems to be signing up decent player's

We have a strong squad, but St. Mirren, Ross County & Motherwell have strengthened significantly. It’s hard to tell how the sale of Dykes will effect Livi. Dundee Utd are certainly better than the Hearts side they’ve replaced. Only Hamilton and Killie look to have stayed in the same place or gone backwards in terms of squad.

We have catching up to do, but we always wait until the end of the window. Problem is, we might usually shift players out on loan, but hard to do with the lower leagues being in their current state.

23 hours ago, Linky said:

We have a strong squad, but St. Mirren, Ross County & Motherwell have strengthened significantly. It’s hard to tell how the sale of Dykes will effect Livi. Dundee Utd are certainly better than the Hearts side they’ve replaced. Only Hamilton and Killie look to have stayed in the same place or gone backwards in terms of squad.

Livi signed 3 players this week including Anthony Stokes.

28 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

I’ll be quaking in my boots(Literally) when Flabby Stokes waddles out of the tunnel at McDiarmid.

Not the player he was 3 years ago and even then he wasn’t setting the heather alight.

One fruitless season for Livi and will sign for East Kilbride.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

I can’t work out whether the fact that there are zero transfer rumours about the club at the moment shows that we’re not signing anyone or that we’re waiting until the end of the transfer window. Are we waiting until we can move players out on loan?

6 minutes ago, Linky said:

I can’t work out whether the fact that there are zero transfer rumours about the club at the moment shows that we’re not signing anyone or that we’re waiting until the end of the transfer window. Are we waiting until we can move players out on loan?

Club twitter just posted pix of players training - Muzz, May, Zander all pictured, which may or may not be deliberate.

11 minutes ago, Havana Saint said:

Stokes just signed for Meadowbank Thistle. I hope we were at least interested.  We have invested massive amounts of time and money in May with little return.  An emotive signing if ever there was one. Let's hope we deliver tomorrow, too many passengers on Thursday.

I'd rather have May than Stokes.

Ones a hard working striker who almost reached double figures for us last season.

The other barely lasts 6 months at a club, covers barely any yards and spends his time promoting the IRA.

1 hour ago, Havana Saint said:

Stokes just signed for Meadowbank Thistle. I hope we were at least interested.  We have invested massive amounts of time and money in May with little return.  An emotive signing if ever there was one. Let's hope we deliver tomorrow, too many passengers on Thursday.

Why would you want us to interested in Anthony Stokes?? Based on?

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I'd rather have May than Stokes.

Ones a hard working striker who almost reached double figures for us last season.

The other barely lasts 6 months at a club, covers barely any yards and spends his time promoting the IRA.

Stokes will score more than May this season. 

7 minutes ago, Havana Saint said:

Statistics are not everything, but the stats of Stokes are far superior to May. There I said it. There is a world outside your window. 

I'll let you into a secret, and its that Stokes and Mays last Premiership seasons are almost identical in terms of attacking stats, apart from May being more accurate in terms of shots.

Stokes - 7 goals from 70 shots - 1 assist

May - 6 goals from 36 shots - 1 assist

Difference is Mays figures were from last season, Stokes from 17/18. Since then Stokes has played for 4 different clubs and has scored 2 goals in the past 22 months.

3 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

Club twitter just posted pix of players training - Muzz, May, Zander all pictured, which may or may not be deliberate.

If it had been any other team apart from saints I would say it was deliberate unfortunately I don’t think our social media team are good enough to think of something like that 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I'll let you into a secret, and its that Stokes and Mays last Premiership seasons are almost identical in terms of attacking stats, apart from May being more accurate in terms of shots.

Stokes - 7 goals from 70 shots - 1 assist

May - 6 goals from 36 shots - 1 assist

Difference is Mays figures were from last season, Stokes from 17/18. Since then Stokes has played for 4 different clubs and has scored 2 goals in the past 22 months.

Fair enough. My argument is this, May is not the best striker at St Johnstone at present.

May will never repeat 2014 .

Stokes (arguably) has a better scoring record at higher profile clubs. 

I will buy you a pint happily if May scores more than Stokes this season....personally...I very much doubt that scenario. 

7 minutes ago, Havana Saint said:

Fair enough. My argument is this, May is not the best striker at St Johnstone at present.

May will never repeat 2014 .

Stokes (arguably) has a better scoring record at higher profile clubs. 

Stokes has scored more than 6 league goals two times in the past 6 years. The aforementioned 7 goal season at Hibs in 2017, and in the Iranian league.

The last time he hit double figures in the league was 2012/13.

You're on about folk judging May on past glories when you're doing even worse with Stokes.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Stokes has scored more than 6 league goals two times in the past 6 years. The aforementioned 7 goal season at Hibs in 2017, and in the Iranian league.

The last time he hit double figures in the league was 2012/13.

You're on about folk judging May on past glories when you're doing even worse with Stokes.

Cheers 

7 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

Dykes money helping, its a bit of a worry though no rumours from Perth etc with us being so well run and money in the bank, and the amount of players that left why can't we afford anyone? These other clubs seem to bring players in, yep we do usually get the right balance and bodies in eventually but by now tommy would be moaning his coupon off, just dont see it with davidson, maybe browns new manager suits brown and will tow the party line, will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

8 hours ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Dykes money helping, its a bit of a worry though no rumours from Perth etc with us being so well run and money in the bank, and the amount of players that left why can't we afford anyone? These other clubs seem to bring players in, yep we do usually get the right balance and bodies in eventually but by now tommy would be moaning his coupon off, just dont see it with davidson, maybe browns new manager suits brown and will tow the party line, will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Other clubs also seem to consistently manage to get higher transfer fees than us. Livi get £2 million for Dykes, yet May at his peak went for less than half that despite being younger and more prolific. Appreciate that Dykes had a year longer on his contract, but it does seem to be a Saints trope that we either don't attract or don't negotiate the fees that the other clubs around us seem to get.

On the subject of us signing players - I think it's made sense for Davidson to wait until we've played a few games and work out what we actually need. The extended window gives us that luxury. I am a bit worried that his budget may have already been spent, though.

3 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I am a bit worried that his budget may have already been spent, though.

On what?

Anderson, Callachan, Wright, Swanson and McMillan out, plus the wages on Ralston, Holt and Butcher.

He's brought in Rooney from the tier below, Conway who was playing in League Two last season, and two kids on loan from his previous club.

There'll be plenty left. Window still has two months left and English clubs potentially won't be sorting their squads out until next month.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

On what?

Anderson, Callachan, Wright, Swanson and McMillan out, plus the wages on Ralston, Holt and Butcher.

He's brought in Rooney from the tier below, Conway who was playing in League Two last season, and two kids on loan from his previous club.

There'll be plenty left. Window still has two months left and English clubs potentially won't be sorting their squads out until next month.

This all makes the assumption that the budget remains comparable to last season's, despite the fact that we're playing in front of no crowds and another shut-down could happen at any time.

16 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

This all makes the assumption that the budget remains comparable to last season's, despite the fact that we're playing in front of no crowds and another shut-down could happen at any time.

I imagine the budget will be cut.

I dont believe the wages of Rooney, McNamara, Conway and Olaofe comes anywhere close to the combined wages of, say, Anderson, Wright and Swanson.