Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

41 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Other clubs also seem to consistently manage to get higher transfer fees than us. Livi get £2 million for Dykes, yet May at his peak went for less than half that despite being younger and more prolific. Appreciate that Dykes had a year longer on his contract, but it does seem to be a Saints trope that we either don't attract or don't negotiate the fees that the other clubs around us seem to get.

On the subject of us signing players - I think it's made sense for Davidson to wait until we've played a few games and work out what we actually need. The extended window gives us that luxury. I am a bit worried that his budget may have already been spent, though.

Totally agree re waiting, my worry is that we were down to the bare bones last few weeks and not even the hint of looking for even one extra body and who is to say we won't have further injuries and suspensions, but hoping they are biding their time, as surely myst gave something left in the biscuit tin after the big earners that have left.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Then I dont understand why you believe the "budget has been spent" on those four players, when those who left included four of the highest earners at the club.

The budget was being cut this year before covid anyway. It's all part of the structure changes that have been getting implemented these last few years. Then when you add in the unforeseen circumstances that are now happening they're getting slashed again, quite rightly so imo. Callum needs to use it wisely and McNamara apart I don't think he has so far.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Then I dont understand why you believe the "budget has been spent" on those four players, when those who left included four of the highest earners at the club.

Because I suspect this season's budget may be significantly lower than last season's (and with good reason). Pointing out that high earners from last season haven't been replaced is only relevant if you're confident that the manager has approval to replace them.

1 hour ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

The budget was being cut this year before covid anyway. It's all part of the structure changes that have been getting implemented these last few years. Then when you add in the unforeseen circumstances that are now happening they're getting slashed again, quite rightly so imo. Callum needs to use it wisely and McNamara apart I don't think he has so far.

17 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Because I suspect this season's budget may be significantly lower than last season's (and with good reason). Pointing out that high earners from last season haven't been replaced is only relevant if you're confident that the manager has approval to replace them.

I dont believe the budget will have been slashed enough that we can only make two permanent signings to replace the high earners who have left.

I also think it likely that the budget has been spent. I think the hugely reduced budget this season is one reason why Tommy left. I can see the possibility of two players on loan coming in, probably from the OF: perhaps Glenn Middleton & Jamie Murphy.

I’d be interested to know what’s happening to the players in trouble at Aberdeen. Is there the possibility of a cheap loan of Devlin & Bryson.

8 minutes ago, Cagey said:

If they only merited a 6 month contract in July then not sure why they would get it extended now,apart from the fact we don't have a decent squad of players.

I'm pretty sure that Callum will want Craig signed up on a longer deal ,judging by the way he bigs him up  in the press a lot of the time

I also think they were only signed on short term deals due to CV19 

I'm pretty sure Booth will be similar 

Kane on the other hand needs to get fit and playing or he could be on his bike 

Not rated  by some anyway so might not be missed, certainly by his critics. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

I dont believe the budget will have been slashed enough that we can only make two permanent signings to replace the high earners who have left.

I hope you're right (on the other hand, maybe I don't - I'm not sure I want Saints spending any more than they need to in the current climate). I certainly wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the near future there's an interview with Callum where he mentions not being able to sign anyone unless another player leaves, or words to that effect. We heard it plenty of times from Tommy. As much as I think it makes sense for Callum to take his time in the transfer market, part of me can't help but think that if there was much more money available in his budget, he'd probably have done more with it by now. We'll see, I guess.

41 minutes ago, Cagey said:

East Kilbride or Kelty Hearts . There a lot of teams from championship down that would want those 3. I certainly would.

Are you seriously suggesting that you think those players would willingly leave Saints to play for non-league clubs? Why would they do that?

34 minutes ago, Cagey said:

If they only merited a 6 month contract in July then not sure why they would get it extended now,apart from the fact we don't have a decent squad of players.

Was it not the case that they were only given 6-month contracts because we were managerless at the time and the club felt that the long-term call should be made by whoever the manager turned out to be?

Craig and Booth will be re-signed. Not sure about Kane. Tommy rated him, not sure Callum does.

I wonder whether we are waiting until the lower leagues can start, and then moving a few (perhaps including Kane) out on loan, to then free up space for a few loan signings of our own. I'm not expecting much to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Linky said:

Craig and Booth will be re-signed. Not sure about Kane. Tommy rated him, not sure Callum does.

I wonder whether we are waiting until the lower leagues can start, and then moving a few (perhaps including Kane) out on loan, to then free up space for a few loan signings of our own. I'm not expecting much to be honest.

Tommy certainly in the minority for rating Kane. Interesting when Callum stated earlier that Kane has plenty to work on, to improve his game. I think many Saints fans identified that years ago.

43 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Matt Butcher has signed 2 year deal with Accrington Stanley............Pity would have liked him back on loan

Wtf, surely could do better than that, saints surely could've matched or bettered them on wages etc... maybe personal though. Pity whatever the reasons would've been good to see him back at McDiarmid and give some others a run for their money at the mo.